Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on May 08, 2018, 11:26:50 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2018, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: AQMP on May 08, 2018, 10:27:28 AM
What happened around the Cup Final last week is further evidence (in my opinion) that 20 years after the GFA we now live in a more divided society than we did during the Troubles.
And it will unfortunately continue to be divided so long as the state reflects only one community.

That's the core issue, that pervades all problems here.

No recognition or respect from the state , never mind unionism For an Irish identity here.

Unionism and the state had the opportunity in the 20 years post GFA to positively promote Irish identity as equal to British identity, which was the basic tenet of the GFA. It still hasn't happened.

This falsely manufactured statelet has had every opportunity for a century , to get its act together , but has failed.

They don't even have to promote it, they just need to let those who want to promote it do just that without putting hurdles in their way.

BennyCake

What happened around the Cup Final last week is further evidence (in my opinion) that 20 years after the GFA we now live in a more divided society than we did during the Troubles.
And it will unfortunately continue to be divided so long as the state reflects only one community.

No recognition or respect from the state , never mind unionism For an Irish identity here.

Unionism and the state had the opportunity in the 20 years post GFA to positively promote Irish identity as equal to British identity, which was the basic tenet of the GFA. It still hasn't happened.

This falsely manufactured statelet has had every opportunity for a century , to get its act together , but has failed.

But it's no surprise this falsely manufactured (also gerrymandered, sectarian, bigoted orange) statelet hasn't moved on, when it was a sectarian state from it's very foundation. And the longer it continued as such, the less likely you'd see any sort of softening of that bigoted orange thinking.

David McKeown

Quote from: Taylor on May 08, 2018, 11:24:13 AM
Football for all is horseshit when GSTQ is played. It is as simple as that.

Do the Scots or Welsh play GSTQ before a cup final?

How can you expect Nationalists to change their thought process when you refuse to give an inch

But GSTQ isn't the national anthem of either association both of Whoms national anthem is played. As I say I have no issue with the playing of the anthem. There are much bigger secterian issues at play within the policies espoused by the IFA
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

michaelg

Bar the recent clamour for an Irish Language Act, what ways could unionism and the state promote Irish identity?

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on May 08, 2018, 10:02:00 PM

Bar the recent clamour for an Irish Language Act, what ways could unionism and the state promote Irish identity?

They could stop all this Ulster is British crap. The UK has two bits and only the bigger bit is British. Some people can consider themselves British if they wish but the place is not Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2018, 10:18:06 PM

They could stop all this Ulster is British crap. The UK has two bits and only the bigger bit is British. Some people can consider themselves British if they wish but the place is not Britain.
Are you happy with the assertion that NI is part of the UK?  You didn't really answer my uestion.

BennyCake

They don't need to promote anything really, just stop running down anything Irish would be helpful. Tell their followers they have nothing to fear from taking an interest in anything considered Irish. Show them that, by attending a gaa match, go to Bundoran for the weekend, send their kids to Irish dancing. Anything to normalise issues.

Unionist politicans might think they are attacking SF when speaking, but they also attack ordinary people who love their sport, language, music, traditions etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on May 08, 2018, 10:55:59 PM

They don't need to promote anything really, just stop running down anything Irish would be helpful. Tell their followers they have nothing to fear from taking an interest in anything considered Irish. Show them that, by attending a gaa match, go to Bundoran for the weekend, send their kids to Irish dancing. Anything to normalise issues.

Unionist politicans might think they are attacking SF when speaking, but they also attack ordinary people who love their sport, language, music, traditions etc.

I know a couple of Irish dancing schools in Loyalist areas, attended by Prods run by prods...

win the working class over! Stop ramming memorials down their throats would be a start, both sides need to catch themselves on, republicans and Nationalists need to embrace loyalists too, truth committees need to be set up, too much anger and hate at past killings and bring those stupid peace walls down and intergrate the schools, the rest should follow
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

To be fair, your post from about 5 posts up does not really convey the views of someone with much respect for people from a unionist background.
I have said it before on here, but not every unionist votes for the DUP.  Many small 'u' unionists are happy to go to Dublin to watch the rugby, go to Donegal on holiday.  Such people tend to be quite comfortable as identifying as British, Northern Irish or Irish or whatever.
So back to my original question, what else could be done to promote an Irish identity?  What is being denied at present?

BennyCake

Michaelg, my previous post; I'd say there is quite a few unionists who would agree the whole establishment of the North from it's foundation has been exactly what I said. And that's not essentially an attack on unionism. Any falsely created state to suit a majority would end up the same way, especially when left to their own devices and nobody holding them in check.

haranguerer

Quote from: michaelg on May 08, 2018, 11:06:38 PM

To be fair, your post from about 5 posts up does not really convey the views of someone with much respect for people from a unionist background.
I have said it before on here, but not every unionist votes for the DUP.  Many small 'u' unionists are happy to go to Dublin to watch the rugby, go to Donegal on holiday.  Such people tend to be quite comfortable as identifying as British, Northern Irish or Irish or whatever.
So back to my original question, what else could be done to promote an Irish identity?  What is being denied at present?

Lets see acknowledgement of Irish history and culture. Monuments to Irish figures. Promotion and protection of Irish language (the 'clamour' as you call it). Street/road names de-anglicized. Irish flags and emblems given parity with British ones. Closer co-operation with Dublin on everything - certainly less slinging insults at them.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on May 08, 2018, 10:32:00 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2018, 10:18:06 PM

Are you happy with the assertion that NI is part of the UK?  You didn't really answer my uestion.
I am not happy with it, but I could be. If the state reflected my Irish Nationality and had closer institutionalised links with the rest of Ireland I don't think that I'd be rushing to completely leave the UK.

Applesisapples

In addition to my post above stop putting Jamie Bryson on every TV and radio show as the voice of the PUL community.

michaelg

Quote from: haranguerer on May 09, 2018, 08:54:49 AM

Lets see acknowledgement of Irish history and culture. Monuments to Irish figures. Promotion and protection of Irish language (the 'clamour' as you call it). Street/road names de-anglicized. Irish flags and emblems given parity with British ones. Closer co-operation with Dublin on everything - certainly less slinging insults at them.
There is plenty of acknowledgement of irish history and culture.  Irish history is taught in catholic maintained schools, and state schools alike.  There are also Irish language programmes on BBCNI and Radio Ulster, or Radio 6 conties as wags on here call it.  You can also learn the Irish language and attend Irish dancing classes across NI, including in predominantly unionist areas.
As for my use of the word clamour, perhaps this was the wrong choice of word, but it is just a little odd that this has only relatively recently appeared on SF manifestos. I'm not sure what benefit would come from de-anglicising street / road names given the cost involved. Dual signs are already in existence on buses and street signs in many Nationalist areas. 
Given that the Union Jack is only flown on designated days on BCC buidings, and is not that evident on other goverment building elsewhere, I'm not sure how the parity with the Irish  flag would work.
Finally, there is also a great deal of cross-border cooperration on health and other matters.
The DUP, who are a shower of arseholes, however, really should refrain from slinging insults as you put it.  Despite being in bed with the Tories, however, they would really be the only ones who you could accuse of this.
There is also lots of funding now provided to improve facilities for Gaelic Games e.g. Ormeau Park and Cherryville GAA pitches provided by BCC, as well of lots of Sport NI funding for other club facilities.
As such, I would argue that there is alreadyplenty being done to promote the Irish identity as thing stand.  Not sure what is currently being denied.

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 09, 2018, 09:31:37 AM

In addition to my post above stop putting Jamie Bryson on every TV and radio show as the voice of the PUL community.
Couldn't agree more.  Other than him being on BBC NI & Radio Ulster programmes, I'm not sure what it has to do with my original question.