Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Lads, abit of a random question but sure....why was only one team relegated from Div 3 last year in the County league?

rashCharacter

I think its more a case of only 1 team being promoted from div 4.
The team who finished 2nd probably elected not to be promoted.

There is a big difference between divisions 3 and 4, with 3 containing mostly senior teams in the intermediate championship while div 4 has mainly reserve teams.

imtommygunn

Who was relegated? Was it st johns? Rasharkin 2nds and st johns 2nds should have been relegated..

rashCharacter

just Rasharkin i think, st johns were in div 4 last year.
i think McDermotts finished 2nd bottom of div 3.

tintin25

Rasharkin 2nds finished bottom last year and McDermotts second bottom...only Rasharkin went dow.  Been told this year that two go down so makes me wonder why McDermotts were not relegated?

imtommygunn

It used to be one up one down and 2nd top play 2nd bottom.

Was there a playoff at all? That may explain it but not 100% sure...

SambaSaffron

I believe its due to Gort na Mona pulling their second string out altogether.

aontroim

Think Samba is correct - Gort if i remember right coasted to Div 4 title last season but this year are not in any of the leagues so instead of them going up as champions McDermotts look to have stayed in Div 3.

Something similar in hurling due to the granting of Lamh Dhearg's request to go into Div 2 - meant Cushendun were not relegated and stayed in Div 3.

tintin25

pebble-dasher

Eire og and the aggies went up from div4 last year.  It was the same as this year with 2 up and 2 down.  If Mc dermotts didnt go down to div 4 how come 2 teams went up?

aontroim

Aggies did not go up - they were already playing in Div 3 last year - Gort won Div 4 but have pulled out of leagues so only 1 team up and McDermotts stayed up.

Gold

Quote from: pebble-dasher on April 08, 2010, 06:03:14 PM
Eire og and the aggies went up from div4 last year.  It was the same as this year with 2 up and 2 down.  If Mc dermotts didnt go down to div 4 how come 2 teams went up?

Fair play to Eire Og and the Aggies--doin rightly to be in Div 3 (although Aggies have always been around there for last 10 years or so)

Seen Aggies have a great website with great old photos too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

jodyb

In fairness HS, the whole ethos of the 'Club####' phenomenon has been directed in large parts to 'fat cats'. It probably makes sense in the regard that cash is not only king, but absolutely f##kin essential in the modern GAA landscape. Tyrone's example of the impetus that it can enable is enviable. I have to confess that imo the elitest approach is justified, if it results in success. I'm not one that will ever be in a position to make such a financial commitment, but if Club Derry's (at least Aontrom used the gaelic moniker) financial input results in success, then I'm just delighted to be on that bandwagon. :) Important caveat... not much sign of success at the minute >:( :D

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on April 09, 2010, 12:54:09 AM
Club Aontroma's first major fundraising event of the GAA year takes place on Friday 23rd April when Liam 'Baker' Bradley will address guests at a unique breakfast event in the Wellington Park Hotel.

Antrim's most successful football manager of the modern era has transformed the fortunes of gaelic football's sleeping giant, and now Antrim stand on the brink of successive promotions from Division 4 to Division 2 of the National Football League. The Breakfast with Baker event is sponsored by Irwins Bakery and takes place the day before the Division 3 play off final when the Saffrons are expected to line out against either Wexford or Sligo. Bradley will share his insights into how he got the best from the players, and how the rules of the dressing room can apply to the boardroom.
Club Aontroma Chairman Colm McKenna said the Breakfast with Baker event is the first major Club Aontroma event of the year. "This could be a milestone year for Antrim on the pitch – the footballers are already looking at another promotion and the All Ireland club champions have just rejoined the squad. Dinny Cahill is working hard with the hurlers and I know that our camogie and ladies footballers also have big ambitions. Club Aontroma's ambitions are big too and following the successful National League draws the Breakfast with Baker morning is the next opportunity for saffron fans to show their support for the county."

Tables of ten are available at £300
. Numbers are initentionally limited. To reserve a table contact Carl Whythe or Brendan Mulgrew on 02890 339949.

The event is sponsored by Irwin's Bakery

Can I be the first to say What The Fcuk? £30 for your breakfast and a chat with Baker. Supposedly sponsored by Irwin's Bakery? Are they donating a quid? This whole Club Aontroma stuff, while trying to get as much money as possible is directed at fat cat cappos. Fcuk that, not what the GAA is about imo and they can whistle for my half time draw money (which I have bought at every game). I'm disgusted by this.

So wait, you're angry that they're trying to get the money of fat cats, who can well afford it, rather than those less well off.

Hmmm   ::)

Milltown Row2

but ordinary joe supporters would like to have a 'Chat' with Baker also. its  a tad expensive in times when 30 wouldn't get ya ten pints!

Bad enough paying a tenner into Casement to watch a match.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea