Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

From antrimgaa.ie Website

St Teresa's booked their place in the semi-final of the Ulster Club Junior Championship when they held of a spirited late rally by Butlersbridge of Fermanagh at Casement Park. St Teresa's appeared to be home and dry when they opened up a six point lead early in the second half, but they failed to score in the final quarter as the Fermanagh men fought back to within two.

haranguerer

:-\
Butlersbridge is in Cavan - not by much, but definitely in Cavan

nrico2006

Nicholas Walsh has some cheek to be calling anybody a fat b**tard - seen Cavan in the USFC this year and he is a lardy boy and is pretty limited as a footballer too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Buzz

hes a big lad alright, not much football in him!
When you lose a game there was a row at half time, when you when it the team talk was inspirational!

SambaSaffron

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2009, 09:13:35 PM
Watched the railway cup final on TG4 there. Ulster had a number 24 who I swore they said Scullion for - anyone know if it was our own Tony Scullion??

I checked the Irish news and he wasn't listed however they had munster's line-up completely wrong so I'm not sure if they can be trusted...
Noticed that myself, but it wasn't Tony.

Glensman

Ah, the joys of the winter months...Santa's dusting down the Sleigh, there's a chill in the air and Rasharkin are playing teams in the "floodlights" in their mudbath to salvage points to stay up (generally teams who don't care).

It gives me a warm glow.

SambaSaffron

Its ridiculous Rasharkin get away with that. I feel for teams like St Pauls who are in danger of going down because of it.

aontroim

St. Paul's only need to beat Rasharkin to secure their status for next year and confirm relegation for Rasharkin - i think its fair enough that both teams fight it out to see who goes down regardless of when the game should have been played - Div 2 is still undecided as far as relegation issues too.

rashCharacter

Ridiculous that Rasharkin get away with what exactly?

I don't think its a situation that they really want or somehow manufactured, Rasharkin play their games as and when they are fixed.

The game on Sunday between the 2 will go a long way to deciding who is relegated.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: rashCharacter on November 13, 2009, 11:17:13 AM
Ridiculous that Rasharkin get away with what exactly?

I don't think its a situation that they really want or somehow manufactured, Rasharkin play their games as and when they are fixed.

The game on Sunday between the 2 will go a long way to deciding who is relegated.
Its not the first time its happened with them. They had opportunities to play games earlier in the season, but declined.

I hope St Pauls send them down!

rashCharacter

With the risk of sounding like a mod on the Antrim site, but how exactly would a club go about declining to play games??

The outstanding fixtures rasharkin have to fullfill are mainly due to the hurlers winning the junior championship and playing in the ulster junior.

This meant that the game v st galls on 4th Oct and v St Pauls on 25th Oct were not played.  There was also a game v Cargin on 1st Nov called off, this was due to the heavy rain that weekend.

SambaSaffron

I know of one they refused to play v Moneyglass, because of an Ulster Junior Hurling league semi-final 2 days later. I don't think Antrim football league games should be called off for such a reason.
In the end, it didn't matter as they didn't get any points from the game. But it does seem that they pick up a lot of points towards the end of the season, when most teams are safe and don't care about games.

rashCharacter

On closer inspection I don't think it was unreasonable, in fact the game was postponed until the saturday by the county as Rasharkin had a hurling championship match the day before and the Ulster league match you mention was the day after.

Moneyglass then declined to play the match.

Nobody wants to be playing matches at this time of the year.

culchie11

Samba saffron you sure you havent already made this accusation about rasharkin?
which was made on antrim gaa message board and duely replied to:

Name : Arnold02 November 2009I can understand the frustration by many regarding the number of fixtures still to be played in Div 1 Football. The county try their best and release fixture dates well in advance at the beginning of the season. The problem lies when clubs call off or re-fix games for strange reasons. This has happened to a club in div 1 football for the past two seasons. If this club survives again due to other clubs fielding understrength teams, will the county make sure this does not happen again. Lamh dhearg sufferd as a result of this last year and another club could be relegated as a result of this, this year

And the rply:
Name : Just for the record03 November 2009In response to the various emails regarding Rasharkin getting various matches called off this is absolute nonsense. Three games have been rescheduled this year for the following reasons 1) St Galls match postponed at the request of St Galls, 2) Moneyglass didn't field for reasons of their own which was the subject of appeals by both clubs and must now be refixed and 3) St Paul's was rescheduled as Rasharkin were competing in the Ulster JHC final on the same day.

The comments around the 3 points secured against St Galls last year fail to include the fact that on the way to avoiding relegation I believe Rasharkin also defeated St Johns, Portglenone, Creggan and Gort na Mona. Lamh Dhearg were relegated last year as they could not beat St John's in the final game to stay up. Fair play to Lamh Dhearg they have regrouped and are making an immediate return to division one.

As for Rasharkin it will be a tall order to fulfill all the fixtures let alone stay up but we will give it our best shot. If we are not successful we will take our medicine and move on. To suggest there are other motives at play here smacks of sour grapes and places question marks over the integrity of our club which is not acceptable.

so you think clubs should be punished for being dual clubs!!

Atticus_Finch

Anyone at the game today ?

Only thing I have to go on is the BBC report,  which suggests that Kevin Mc Gourty has awoken from his slumber and started to play some ball.

Did the game reflect St Galls showing what they are capable of or was it a case that Clontibret had quite a few injuries and were not up to scratch ?

Have to say I'm looking forward to the final I think it should be a great game.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."