Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchy1

skull, i agree with your sentiments, but there are some clubs who dont have anyone from within their club that can or will take on a senior job.
there for they see it as reasonable to pay someone who has the criteria to do the job.

we have in past years payed men hand over fist, throwing good money after bad.
but it doesnt bring you success, so this year we havent jumped on the band wagon,
and are trying to get a clubman to take on the job.

hopefully this will end the trend within the club.
our manager last year just walked before the end of the season and now hes going for jobs in armagh and tyrone,
he used us as a stepping stone and got a pound or two for his troubles.

slow corner back

Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2008, 10:22:54 PM
Skull is your man Seamy Elliott not from Dunloy, he is about the biggest money grabber around.

Please name me what club sides outside of Dunloy Seamus Elliot has managed. I know he has coached at virtually every club in Antrim but since this is his JOB it is not surprising he is doing that. Taking two or three coaching sessions is not managing a team so what teams has he managed?

NAG

Im not slagging SE off but just because he actually hasnt managed that many clubs doesnt me he wasnt getting well looked after for work behind the scenes, which is kind of worse in my opinion cause he wasnt prepared to put his reputation on the line with some of the clubs he has coached and actually became their manager.

CSC

Quote from: theskull1 on January 02, 2008, 07:15:15 PM
I hope that a lot of clubs have reflected on their need to succeed at any cost (both financially and ethically) and have tried to get people from within their own clubs hence mercenaries Cassidy will find "work" hard to find this season...hopefully.

Clubs like Creggan & Slaughneil are a disgrace to the GAA, the amount of money they are ponying out for outside managers. There are many more who need to reconsider their actions in this regard

Your some craic Skull, the fact that Micky's wife not only comes from Creggan, but was one of Creggan and Antrim's best camogie players ever doesn't register with you. Also the fact that during the past twenty years Micky has taken Creggana number pre season training programs and trained us in the lead up to  championships, and the fact that he he also went up to Dunloy with DMcK and coached your hurlers on a number of sessions. How much did Dunloy pay for that, of thats right nothing because believe it or not, Micky's not at Creggan for the money either. If he was in it for the money, would he not be the coach of Burren by now.

Maximus Marillius

CSC...skull doesn't give a f**k....whose name he blackens without a shread of truth, be it Mickey Moran, Damien Barton, John Rafferty, Kieran Mc Geeney, Mick O'Dwyer, Damian cassidy or Mickey Mouse..he has hung around to many bars and talk to too many drunk men...because its only place he can of gotten these stories....he is what i call a dangerous gyspy, hiding behind his computor.

CSC

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 03, 2008, 03:13:49 PM
CSC...skull doesn't give a f**k....whose name he blackens without a shread of truth, be it Mickey Moran, Damien Barton, John Rafferty, Kieran Mc Geeney, Mick O'Dwyer, Damian cassidy or Mickey Mouse..he has hung around to many bars and talk to too many drunk men...because its only place he can of gotten these stories....he is what i call a dangerous gyspy, hiding behind his computor.

MM I totally agree. It would be bad if skull knew what he was taking about, but the fact is he doesn't and is still prepared to blacken Morans name is reprehensible. Moran may have his faults, but he is a classy guy as anyone could gauge after the Mayo debacle, and he is a true GAA man. Micky and his sons have been up in Creggan coaching our youth teams during the summer months for $0, and they have been instramental in forming links between Glen and Creggan youth teams for friendlys, blitzs and coaching sessions. i have no doubt that his heart is in the right place.

Regarding Creggan, I believe that we are one of the best run clubs in the country. If you consider the limited resourses that we have, and the fact that we are sandwiched between have Cargin and and tir Na nOg clubs, the club has done a remarkable job to develop a good youth structure at the same time as developing our senior team as Div 1 regulars and at the same time endevour in buiding a new pitch and complex. Thats alot of work that is volunteered by a lot of people to ensure Creggan will remain strong in the future. But as Skull says, sure were only another dodgy club

theskull1

Due to the nature of the business of underhand payments to managers, rumour is all I have to go on. As I've said elsewhere too many good men stay silent when it happens whilst the practice continues because those good men can't prove it. So by MM & CSC's reckoning I should do the same and say fcuk all?

CSC & MM would you agree that anybody getting paid illegally (i.e receiving payment over and above standard expenses) to manage teams is a disgrace to the GAA?

Also, do you believe that the majority of outside people managing clubs are doing it for nothing and iare simply receiving standard expenses for thier efforts? If they are great GAA why do the majority of them not fully involve themselves with their local club?

Take the hump if you like about my specific examples, but would you also mind commenting on the general point? You both seem to be avoiding it. Maybe CSC you could tell me the facts seeing as I don't know them. And btw nobody has said that MM is not a nice guy, but he is not a true GAA man if he is taking backhanders, the same as anybody else who is at it is not a true GAA man.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2008, 05:53:17 PM
Due to the nature of the business of underhand payments to managers, rumour is all I have to go on. As I've said elsewhere too many good men stay silent when it happens whilst the practice continues because those good men can't prove it. So by MM & CSC's reckoning I should do the same and say fcuk all?

CSC & MM would you agree that anybody getting paid illegally (i.e receiving payment over and above standard expenses) to manage teams is a disgrace to the GAA?

Also, do you believe that the majority of outside people managing clubs are doing it for nothing and iare simply receiving standard expenses for thier efforts? If they are great GAA why do the majority of them not fully involve themselves with their local club?

Take the hump if you like about my specific examples, but would you also mind commenting on the general point? You both seem to be avoiding it. Maybe CSC you could tell me the facts seeing as I don't know them. And btw nobody has said that MM is not a nice guy, but he is not a true GAA man if he is taking backhanders, the same as anybody else who is at it is not a true GAA man.

you heard it first here folks...skull is a true GAA man...you know the type, who sit in the bars and then come on to discussion boards and make allegations and question their character all in the push of a keyboard. Who needs real GAA men like that!

theskull1

Max you really are an arsehole. Can you do nothing else but attack the messenger in an attempt to get the rise? Is engaging in debate beyond you?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maximus Marillius

Skull I will debate about the right and wrongs of paying people....not a problem. My gripe with you and a few others is the fact you have not got a clue, same as me, as to whether the men you have menetioned are getting higher than normal gaa 'expenses', but you don't give a rats ass, you just continue on slabbering about them. BAR talk trash

CSC

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2008, 05:53:17 PM

So if Moran was just getting expenses from Creggan thats fine. BTW Skull, do you have a rate in mind that Creggan should be paying before you will consider Moran a "True GAA Man". Have to laugh.
Regarding your points about discussing money, I'm not going to give details, but I know that I'm right in saying that Moran is not with Creggan for the money. And if you logically thick about it, we are a club who in the past number of years have bought land, developed it into a pitch and have a building project about to commence. Do you think that Tody just found a buiscuit  tin somewhere full with cash  just to pay Moran. We are not a cash rich club. We have no club house like Dunloy, and our main income is from the club lotto. So where is the money coming from.

BTW You seem to be avoiding the point that I am making about Moran's connections with Creggan. Do you deny Moran has connections with Creggan.

I know for a fact that how Creggan got Moran was
1 The amount of media coverage he had recieved during the Derry job, but especially the Mayo job, had given Mickey severe reservations about taking another high profile county job.
2 He wanted to stay involved in coaching, and DMcK and OMcA approached him about taking Creggan. A small club with little pressure but who are eager to challange in Antrim.
3 His wife was a Creggan lady, with obvious ties to the club.

Or Skull maybe it was purely for the money.

CSC

Messed up that last message a bit
In response to Skull;

So if Moran was just getting expenses from Creggan thats fine. BTW Skull, do you have a rate in mind that Creggan should be paying before you will consider Moran a "True GAA Man". Have to laugh.
Regarding your points about discussing money, I'm not going to give details, but I know that I'm right in saying that Moran is not with Creggan for the money. And if you logically thick about it, we are a club who in the past number of years have bought land, developed it into a pitch and have a building project about to commence. Do you think that Tody just found a buiscuit  tin somewhere full with cash  just to pay Moran. We are not a cash rich club. We have no club house like Dunloy, and our main income is from the club lotto. So where is the money coming from.

BTW You seem to be avoiding the point that I am making about Moran's connections with Creggan. Do you deny Moran has connections with Creggan.

I know for a fact that how Creggan got Moran was
1 The amount of media coverage he had recieved during the Derry job, but especially the Mayo job, had given Mickey severe reservations about taking another high profile county job.
2 He wanted to stay involved in coaching, and DMcK and OMcA approached him about taking Creggan. A small club with little pressure but who are eager to challange in Antrim.
3 His wife was a Creggan lady, with obvious ties to the club.

Or Skull maybe it was purely for the money.

NAG

MM & CSC

You both totally negate your arguement against Skull when you mentioned the name of Cassidy in amongst your other managers. This is a man who wouldnt take his own club team with someone putting their hand in their pocket for him and this is FACT. Ask any member of the Bellaghy team of which I know a few personally and this is not bar talk.

Skull is against managers getting paid full stop. Mickey Moran did take Dunloy for a few sessions and maybe he is doing the Creggan job out of loyalty to his wife's club but that would make him one of the very few to do so.

The arguement was that no manager should be getting paid and a club the size of Creggan, Bellaghy and countless others should be able to find someone in their own club to take these jobs on without looking their mortgage paid out of it.

imtommygunn

Any word on a team / panel for tomorrow night?

Square Ball

Right

during a conversation about the amount of teams on and around the Falls\Andytown area we were thinking about teams that went to the wall over the years, there was Riverdale Rovers and Gael Uladh any others?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid