Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

St Mal's year 10 team played the convent Mfelt the week after winning the Antrim cup, they lost by 1 point, only a challenge game , but showed they can compete at the top level when the work is done in house by coaches,

Southwestsaffs

Who's everyone's early picks for 2023 championship?
Here's mine
Senior: Aghagallon - I think they're sick of heart breaking defeats and this season will be now or never for them if they want to keep players motivated.
Intermediate: All Saints - win or DIE for the Ballymena men. If a trophy doesn't come back to Slemish park this year I'm convinced Baker will leave. And the saints will be back to the drawing board
Junior: who gives a rats a*se

Would ye whist

I think it will depend on the draw as to whether Aghagallon even get to the final, if they avoid the big two on the way they can and anything can happen in the final. For me it is hard to look past the big 2, PG1 and Cargin for senior

Intermediate- Is Baker staying another year with All Saints, I thought they would go for a younger man with a fresher out look on the game. For me I can see Glenravel getting over the line this year

Junior- who knows, depends who the Belfast teams get out for me

quote author=Southwestsaffs link=topic=21.msg2173635#msg2173635 date=1673968750]
Here's mine
Senior: Aghagallon - I think they're sick of heart breaking defeats and this season will be now or never for them if they want to keep players motivated.
Intermediate: All Saints - win or DIE for the Ballymena men. If a trophy doesn't come back to Slemish park this year I'm convinced Baker will leave. And the saints will be back to the drawing board
[/quote]

Southwestsaffs

I'd say you're right about aghagallon now that I think about it, draw is important for them.
Would like to see PG1 finally win a championship but at the same time it's clear Cargin are nowhere near done.

Baker is taking pre season trainings with all saints so I can only guess he's there to stay another year and I believe all saints really underperformed last season so the chip on their shoulder could drive them on

SW Ultras

Don't know what Southwest Saffs has processed what has happened in the last year. It's a two way horse race in senior between the two Loughshore teams and that's a fact. Intermediate is always close in any county. Ballymena, Glenravel, Sarsfields all out on their own perhaps. Junior it's a lottery anyways.

realisticsaff

Quote from: Southwestsaffs on January 17, 2023, 03:19:10 PM
Here's mine

Baker is staying

realisticsaff

Quote from: Would ye whist on January 17, 2023, 03:22:58 PM
I think it will depend on the draw as to whether Aghagallon even get to the final, if they avoid the big two on the way they can and anything can happen in the final. For me it is hard to look past the big 2, PG1 and Cargin for senior

Intermediate- Is Baker staying another year with All Saints, I thought they would go for a younger man with a fresher out look on the game. For me I can see Glenravel getting over the line this year

Junior- who knows, depends who the Belfast teams get out for me

I can see McGrath getting Aghagallon super fit and hitting the ground running and being in contention for winning the league depending on absentees obvs

quote author=Southwestsaffs link=topic=21.msg2173635#msg2173635 date=1673968750]
Here's mine
[/quote]

geezer

Creggan
PG1
Aghagallon
Cargin

Pick your winner from those and you wont be wrong.

JimStynes

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on January 18, 2023, 10:04:31 AM
Can't understand how Baker is still there,brutal discipline inside the wire,lost 5/6 league games in a poor division 2,only win in the championship was against a junior team and got beat in group stages by a team that avoided relegation, and now saffs think they'll win the championship, Ah Jesus, Mary wept

The tactics he played against Aghagallon the league play off were a disgrace. And his discipline let him down that night again!!

NAG1

I think it is more concerning as to how he is being remunerated at All Saints.

How any one thinks this is the way to go is beyond me.

Crazy stuff.

EOC1923

Baker not too popular among some on here, must be doing something right in that case  :D

Southwestsaffs

Quote from: EOC1923 on January 18, 2023, 02:03:36 PM
Baker not too popular among some on here, must be doing something right in that case  :D

People just don't like seeing others succeed. I followed all saints closely last year as I thought something special was stirring, but I can confidently say the year was a mess. However, respect has to be put on bakers name as he is the only man to bring the saffrons close to success in the 21st century. And we should thank for him for what he did, although it was short lived. And this is why I believe the saints will find form again and this will be due to a mix of up coming players like Shaun 'Christ' O'Callaghan and Ronan 'rhino' McKillop who are both featured in the Antrim u20 team and bakers hunger to succeed on each team he manages.

Would ye whist

As much as I am fond of Baker on a personal level, he is yesterday's man when it comes to the modern game

Quote from: Southwestsaffs on January 18, 2023, 02:20:20 PM

People just don't like seeing others succeed. I followed all saints closely last year as I thought something special was stirring, but I can confidently say the year was a mess. However, respect has to be put on bakers name as he is the only man to bring the saffrons close to success in the 21st century. And we should thank for him for what he did, although it was short lived. And this is why I believe the saints will find form again and this will be due to a mix of up coming players like Shaun 'Christ' O'Callaghan and Ronan 'rhino' McKillop who are both featured in the Antrim u20 team and bakers hunger to succeed on each team he manages.

JimStynes

Not the way I see it at all.  I have nothing against the man or Ballymena. But it is well known that his sideline antics are a distraction. I felt sorry for those Ballymena players having to play 15 men behind the ball. There are very good footballers in that Ballymena side and they're sitting in their own half like Donegal from 10 years ago. Horrible to watch and I'd say even worse to play in a team like that. Maybe they will have learned from last year and be more attacking and play to their strengths! If they do, they'll not be too far away.

Caesar

Quote from: geezer on January 17, 2023, 09:20:45 PM
Creggan
PG1
Aghagallon
Cargin

Pick your winner from those and you wont be wrong.

Anyone outside those 4 would be a big shock. Creggan gets my vote