Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2022, 01:03:43 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 12:27:41 PM
Just looking at Antrim leagues, what has happened St Galls, Jesus they were some force to be reckoned with in 05-15

Retirement.... But sure it'll come back around again, at some point, I hope  :o
I certainly think it will come again, and with likes of Terry O Neill and Paddy Murray helping out with young age groups it only going to help.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 02:13:10 PM
what are you like at underge level, who are the strong clubs in Antrim at underage? St Brigids are getting big numbers? Aghagallon seems to be too but aren't a lot of their players from Lurgan and do their camogs not play in Armagh.
NAOMH ÉANNA are another club with big numbers

The SW teams have taken things up a notch or six and have competed and won a lot of the football titles on offer these past number of years, giving the likes of Cargin a stiffer challenge.

St Brigids need to make a breakthrough and have just won minor but needs to make that transition into senior, the tools are their just need a good coach to make them be competitive.

As EOC1923 has pointed out, there are plenty people from within the club that have a huge determination to get things back to competing again, but bit off the mark just yet, tradition will translate to winning again

For a lot of clubs its making sure they get and keep the numbers to bring them through so Aghagallon are making strides in that dept at the minute and fair fecks to them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

what are you like at underge level, who are the strong clubs in Antrim at underage? St Brigids are getting big numbers? Aghagallon seems to be too but aren't a lot of their players from Lurgan and do their camogs not play in Armagh.

We've no Lurgan men playing for us at all!

Saul goodman

Quote from: JimStynes on October 24, 2022, 07:11:38 PM

We've no Lurgan men playing for us at all!

You tell him Jim - seems there are some still need a geography lesson.

bannside

There must be about 6 teams in Lurgan as it is lol...

Was at a SW annual presentation awards dinner about five or six years ago and Aghagallon were cleaning up the underage awards. No surprise they are reaping those benefits now of a  period of dedication to juvenile development.

Around then PG1 were starting their own new juvenile campaign with a group of 5 to 8 year olds.

The first fruit of that was a runaway win in SW under 13 league and winning Antrim Og Sport (under 14) before being beaten by extra time by Eglish (outright winners) in the ulster semi final a few weeks ago.

Evidence that the rewards are there for any club who really want to put the work in.

EOC1923

Aghagallon doing well and putting in the work at underage, but one u17 title and 2 senior finals where they were on the easy side of the draw both times leaves me needing to be convinced we are witnessing anything of note just yet. Next season a very important one for them to stamp their authority at senior level if it's there and it could well be.
On a different note where have Saffron Voice gone

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 24, 2022, 08:54:44 PM
Aghagallon doing well and putting in the work at underage, but one u17 title and 2 senior finals where they were on the easy side of the draw both times leaves me needing to be convinced we are witnessing anything of note just yet. Next season a very important one for them to stamp their authority at senior level if it's there and it could well be.

No podcast tonight?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2022, 09:05:12 PM

No podcast tonight?
None so far MR2, your ears won't be burning tonight 🤣

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 24, 2022, 09:06:51 PM

No podcast tonight?

Thought a lot of the stuff was grand, and any promotion of our games has to be applauded, being nasty isn't required though, hopefully they can take the bitterness out and continue on..

As for giving me abuse, water off a ducks back  ;)

country bumpkin

Hear the S V lads are back on the air waves....chastened but unrepentant....

Saul goodman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2022, 09:26:29 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on October 24, 2022, 09:06:51 PM

New podcast out there - haven't listened to it but it is previewing u20 football and ulster club teams so dare I say maybe a reprieve for MR2 this week...

No podcast tonight?

Thought a lot of the stuff was grand, and any promotion of our games has to be applauded, being nasty isn't required though, hopefully they can take the bitterness out and continue on..

As for giving me abuse, water off a ducks back  ;)

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2022, 01:40:38 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 20, 2022, 12:51:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2022, 12:45:47 PM
Quote from: Would ye whist on October 20, 2022, 12:12:46 PM
Being the sports centre will help a lot I would imagine

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2022, 12:01:25 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 20, 2022, 11:57:20 AM
It's good to see an increase in the number of Antrim players being selected for UUJ compared to just a few years ago when Saffron representation was noticeably low. Think there's about 9 on the Freshers panel alone this year and four or five on senior panel. Can only be good for Antrim.

Done a few games already at the college, they have some lads coming through, it must be a magnet for GAA..

I don't think the students are all doing sports degrees though, and UUJ is now all, bar the pitches, based in Belfast I just think that UUJ has a better attraction with its Sigersons teams

Nearly too many big name players there and they've very little success to show for it.

Yeah, they generally get to the latter stages but college football is so fluid every year, a great intake of students (football wise) can lift a mediocre college to potentially winning it ..

And yes free those lads with foot in mouth disease

Free the SV 2!

country bumpkin

Jeez those S V lads really know their stuff...previewed the upcoming under 20 championship with full knowledge within

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 24, 2022, 10:38:51 PM
Jeez those S V lads really know their stuff...previewed the upcoming under 20 championship with full knowledge within

It's a pity they won't be at the games due to their not giving the county a shilling, you'll have to fill them in, oh wait ;D

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2022, 10:44:42 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 24, 2022, 10:38:51 PM

It's a pity they won't be at the games due to their not giving the county a shilling, you'll have to fill them in, oh wait ;D

On what......they will have to read S G for my recollection..