Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogercasement

Great night to be saffron! Onwards and upwards hopefully a great year for all (mediocre one for mr2) joke!

Sportacus

One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that, but it's starting to feel like we have a fairly settled panel with a good blend of experience, and managers who have done it all. The challenge now is to keep backing it up - I think that's where McGinley and O'Neill can really help the players with their mental approach.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on January 29, 2022, 11:26:22 PM
One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that, but it's starting to feel like we have a fairly settled panel with a good blend of experience, and managers who have done it all. The challenge now is to keep backing it up - I think that's where McGinley and O'Neill can really help the players with their mental approach.

Is it a joint management or is McGinely the boss?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Enda is manager. It's been a while since we won a match in division three by nine points away from home, but tbh Fermanagh are now a year behind us with plenty of work to do. I was confident going into this one but let's keep feet on the ground, there are much harder tasks ahead. Limerick next up, they also won convincingly and will have revenge for Portglenone on their minds.

The team is in my opinion still in a state of flux and I expect a lot of tweaks before Enda knows his best 20 and how to use them. Jamie looked every inch a county player, and Paddy Mc Cormack would be a nailed on started in my book. He was faultless in the dozen or so contributions he made when in the pitch, and for me anyway was a county player of the season for Lenny in his debut year. Conor Murray has to start too, far too much class in his locker to be playing a bit part imo.

Belfast GAA man

Any one find it strange that cargin players old and young are all available now ? Under Cassidy funny everyone was retired , injured or building a house  ;D they are best tem in county and there lads playing making huge difference

imtommygunn

No. McGinley is connected sure.

I found it interesting reading a Fermanagh review of the game from another thread. The poster seemed to think we were good at tactical fouling - it would be good if these boys made us a bit cuter. Also the Fermanagh poster was lauding Eastwood.

Great to start with a win. Onwards and upwards. We would want to be staying in this division at least. If we were going for promotion that would be a huge improvement. Limerick are a good team though so one step at a time.

EOC1923

Maybe the more organised, professional setup has attracted players in rather than McGinleys "connections". Enda, Stephen O Neill, Sean Kelly it speaks for itself. No harm to the last manager but Antrim we're very poor, some players starting that weren't at that standard, I can think of 2 or 3 that wouldn't make a decent club team and the results showed. Not the case now.

JimStynes

Quote from: EOC1923 on January 30, 2022, 12:15:19 PM
Maybe the more organised, professional setup has attracted players in rather than McGinleys "connections". Enda, Stephen O Neill, Sean Kelly it speaks for itself. No harm to the last manager but Antrim we're very poor, some players starting that weren't at that standard, I can think of 2 or 3 that wouldn't make a decent club team and the results showed. Not the case now.

I would agree with this. I think Lenny's set up wasn't anywhere near as professional going by what I was told and there were players who were useless in club championship games but somehow starting on a senior county team. Are the managers on a 3 year deal or is it a case of when a big county team comes looking Enda he will be away.

Sportacus

Quote from: JimStynes on January 30, 2022, 01:02:22 PM

I would agree with this. I think Lenny's set up wasn't anywhere near as professional going by what I was told and there were players who were useless in club championship games but somehow starting on a senior county team. Are the managers on a 3 year deal or is it a case of when a big county team comes looking Enda he will be away.
I would imagine he'd be away at the drop of a hat if say Donegal came knocking.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on January 30, 2022, 02:31:42 PM

If he did go would CB go with him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2022, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on January 30, 2022, 02:31:42 PM

If he did go would CB go with him?

Depends on the coin!

bannside

Focus on one game now and one thing only. Limerick next Saturday. Put all else out if our heads. And after that, Wicklow. We have a bit of momentum going, need to make hay before the tougher assignments kick in like Laois and Westmeath.

bannside

Following on our discussion last week re schools development, Holy Trinity Cookstown continue to break the mould for smashing tradition and creating their own by beating St Pat's Maghera and making it through to their first ever McRory cup final.

It's John McKeever and Peter Canavan versus Kevin Brady and Ronan Devlin in the battle along the line. Plenty of Antrim interest going on there too!

Shows what can be done with forward vision and a bit of hard work. Maybe some of our schools can channel that energy into something positive in next few years.

Wolfetones

Quote from: bannside on January 31, 2022, 04:38:01 PM
Following on our discussion last week re schools development, Holy Trinity Cookstown continue to break the mould for smashing tradition and creating their own by beating St Pat's Maghera and making it through to their first ever McRory cup final.

It's John McKeever and Peter Canavan versus Kevin Brady and Ronan Devlin in the battle along the line. Plenty of Antrim interest going on there too!

Shows what can be done with forward vision and a bit of hard work. Maybe some of our schools can channel that energy into something positive in next few years.

And an "interesting" recruitment policy.

JimStynes

Quote from: Wolfetones on January 31, 2022, 04:43:30 PM
Quote from: bannside on January 31, 2022, 04:38:01 PM

And an "interesting" recruitment policy.

What's that involve?