Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Draw between St. John's and Portglenone. Didn't see that coming. Bs's optimism must be rubbing off ;D

paddyjohn

St Johns replay on Wednesday night  8)

The Memory Man

The lunatics are back in charge of the asylum, Jesus Wept!!  Seriously is this county expecting St. John's to play the replay on Wed night, with the hurling semi final on Sunday?  What about player welfare, the integrity of competitions, being fair etc. etc.  Surly this is a wind up?

imtommygunn

Reading the twitter thread from the county message about the replay. Some uproar. It is ridiculous mind.

Interesting results at the weekend. Ld making a big statement. Intermediate not quite going as expected in almost every game too.

bannside

Another cracking days sport. Us and St John's will battle it out one more time, and I expect nothing less than another close full blooded encounter. We dont fear them at all, they're a bit like ourselves, hit or miss, theyll not fear us either.....so it will be all down to who ever brings their A game on the night.

Lamh Dhearg made a big statement tonight. They looked good all over the pitch....it will take a good team to beat them methinks!

Spike

were LD good or Creggan meek BS? Perhaps a mixture of both?   heard from a couple of people who were at the match that said creggan were never in it and looked a bit tepid even after LDs red card. LD is cruise mode?

bannside

I expected much better from Creggan tbh Spike. They just didn't fire and that can happen and you don't see it coming. I thought they had the momentum approaching HT, three scores on the bounce and a man extra on the pitch. But that ten mins was their only real spell of dominance. I liked the shape of LD, they just stifled Creggan from the get go. It was the best team performance in the quarter finals in my book.

Sportacus

LD big, mobile and they have a nasty streak.  They look as good as the year they won it.  But Creggan never really got going.  In 2nd half LD messed about time wasting and trying to make the game disjointed.  I think they would have won by more if they had just played attacking football.  Creggan were supposed to be the coming team, but they looked a long way off tonight.

bannside

I'd prefer not to discuss the referee Peter John, with emotions still running high from yesterday. To be fair that wasn't as easy game to referee yesterday, all the more reason a referee should trust his linemen and umpires, but time after time BT refused to do so. Why not Brendan, that's the question I would put to him if he reads on here which according to Whatwillbe, he does. Why not??

The Memory Man

I agree Hardstation, imagine the audacity of us promoting two codes!! 

Peter John your guff doesn't even merit a response! 

Bannside, you're a reasonable guy and fair play, I read your first sentence about not talking about the referee and then you go on to do so, strange!  But as for him not consulting his officials, his two linesmen were the reason St. Johns got two red cards, fully justifiable I may add, both 100% correct decisions, so not sure where your coming from on that one.

Bannside I'd be interested on your thoughts of forcing St. Johns to play on Wednesday night giving their hurling commitments?

Caesar

As a neutral at the Portglenone vs St Johns game it was a highly entertaining game of football! Portglenone must be kicking themselves for not getting the win, but actually they were lucky to force a replay in the end. Would expect St Johns to kick on and win it the next day.

A replay in three days time if far from ideal for both teams,especially for a dual club with being tasked with 3 championship games in week!

I would agree with Bannside though that there was an occasion in the second half when the lines man was clearly demonstrating to the referee that Paddy McBride had struck an opponent, but that no card was given. In truth McBride was involved in several incidents where he was very lucky to stay on the field.

paddyjohn

Ahh now lads, we've been down this road before. Don't slate St Johns, they are just misunderstood!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 08, 2019, 07:52:20 PM
St Johns replay on Wednesday night  8)

With Portglenone hosting a relegation/promotion play off match on wednesday night,would this not also lead to problems
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AntrimRealist

Quote from: Caesar on September 09, 2019, 01:00:28 PM
As a neutral at the Portglenone vs St Johns game it was a highly entertaining game of football! Portglenone must be kicking themselves for not getting the win, but actually they were lucky to force a replay in the end. Would expect St Johns to kick on and win it the next day.

A replay in three days time if far from ideal for both teams,especially for a dual club with being tasked with 3 championship games in week!

I would agree with Bannside though that there was an occasion in the second half when the lines man was clearly demonstrating to the referee that Paddy McBride had struck an opponent, but that no card was given. In truth McBride was involved in several incidents where he was very lucky to stay on the field.

So as a neutral presumably you'll be able to confirm the constant targeting of certain St John's players (one in particular) and the failure of BT to book a Portglenone player for a deliberate trip (he even pointing towards his foot when he gave the free). Just in the interests of having a balanced debate.

Caesar

I cant say I noticed any St Johns players in particular getting singled out but I am sure it's possible. Portglenone were certainly no angels themselves but they kept their discipline a bit more than St Johns. Portglenone probably thought they had another round to play in the bag.