Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwater2

Bannside, I love the positive spin you put on things. There was a clear disconnect between the top table and some of the county Exec on the Night. Esp when the chair of the CCC stood up and informed the club delegates that 3 motions were out of order and should be withdrawn? You not agree.

Agree re Pol McCann delivery, comes across very professional. Delivery of report was chalk and cheese from last year.

On a side note, I was always of the opinion you couldn't stand for elections unless you attended the convention?

bannside

Agree with all that Stillwater. Owen Elliott seemed to be well on top of his game. Quite impressed with him tbh. Agree too with your other points...except the positive spin remark of course...lol.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Stillwater2 on December 09, 2016, 07:55:52 AM
Bannside, I love the positive spin you put on things. There was a clear disconnect between the top table and some of the county Exec on the Night. Esp when the chair of the CCC stood up and informed the club delegates that 3 motions were out of order and should be withdrawn? You not agree.

Agree re Pol McCann delivery, comes across very professional. Delivery of report was chalk and cheese from last year.

On a side note, I was always of the opinion you couldn't stand for elections unless you attended the convention?
Of course there is a disconnect between those as you put in 'in the top table' and others in the Exec.....SW.
Did those in that loftly place not, through their emissary TR ask/advise/tell clubs to offload a couple from within and replace with their men.
The clubs knew better.
BS, obviously a huge admirer of the SV does seem less than enthusiastic.
The chairman in his address did come up with a few humdingers and in particular his talk of amalgamation.....wonder why he is airing such in a year in which the South Antrim clubs failed to win anything?
The chairman did not even take a sentence or two to give mention to our PRO who was absolutely the best we have seen for a long time.....perhaps SK who was not part of the Vision is not part of 'the in crowd'.
Making progress says BS but can he point out just where such was detected having failed to win a single game in Ulster on the football front and the hurlers could not even secure the Christy Ring.............

bannside

I'd say TR sent that text out whilst on a solo run. I doubt very much if CD or PMC knew of its existence until it was too late.  Now that was a bit of disconnect! I'd say tough lessons were learned. No one in the arena had an appetite for that or tried to condone it, and the successful Ulster delegate James Mc Lean made his feelings known in plain language that everyone understood and agreed with.

Regards the amalgamation thing.  It's not a new idea specific to Antrim or Belfast. It's a conversation that is going on all around thd country and will hit hard into rural areas too if if hasn't already.  People having smaller families and many primary school classes getting much smaller on size. Even the reasonably successful Sean Stinsons combo with both parishes involved will see a few years where they will find it hard to get a team gathered up.

paddyjohn

Hectic

If any sporting organisation is in a mess the first thing you need to sort out is the administration of it - the sporting side then follows - it is the logical way and I would assume this is the approach the SV crowd are taking - I for one am not expecting an immediate sorting out on both fronts - a year is not a long time in the bigger scheme of things.

Regards amalgamation of city clubs - I do not think this is the way to be going - the numbers are there and the key is figuring out how to get them involved and keep them involved - by amalgamating I think you are essentially giving up on increasing your base and as a result are not going to strengthen Antrim County. 

If we are to get super strong city clubs it will require investment on the level Dublin have enjoyed - the obvious caveat is that kids in Dublin had a relatively successful county team to have ambitions of reaching but still lets have some of that pie regarding funding.  In essence good governance is key to getting funding so the administration work that is going on behind the scenes at present is the building blocks to future success.

theskull1

Quote from: bannside on December 09, 2016, 10:32:17 AM
Regards the amalgamation thing.  It's not a new idea specific to Antrim or Belfast. It's a conversation that is going on all around thd country and will hit hard into rural areas too if if hasn't already.  People having smaller families and many primary school classes getting much smaller on size. Even the reasonably successful Sean Stinsons combo with both parishes involved will see a few years where they will find it hard to get a team gathered up.

How can portglenone struggle with numbers Bannside? I'd have thought the numbers should be there. Are participation %'s low? And if so, whats the reason for that?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on December 09, 2016, 10:32:17 AM
I'd say TR sent that text out whilst on a solo run. I doubt very much if CD or PMC knew of its existence until it was too late.  Now that was a bit of disconnect! I'd say tough lessons were learned. No one in the arena had an appetite for that or tried to condone it, and the successful Ulster delegate James Mc Lean made his feelings known in plain language that everyone understood and agreed with.

Saw said text BS and it was sanctioned by a couple more named individuals ........and u are suggesting without consent.....pull the other one.
As for amalgamation sure the big clubs in Belfast are always seeking the addition such as they cherry pick at will and thus the weak remain weak with little hope on the horizon.
Within the parish of Duneane we have cargin, creggan, and moneyglass and a few from newbridge and have a look at Slaughtneil with just 220 houses in an area the best in Ulster no talk of amalgamation in those clubs.
I see u have no explaination as to why our resident co chairman failed to chastise the' texter' at convention, and did not let clubs know as to why himself and sidekick TR overruled assigned committee to change the venue for senior championship decider, and just why he failed to acknowledge the work done by the new PRO during 2016......SK not a Visionary?

bannside

I think Skull the combo has enough numbers most years but there are just one or two coming up that there were small numbers of boys for a couple of years in a row.  After that is OK again. One P7 class coming up has four boys in a class of 20 and two of them have no interest whatsoever in football.

Even some strong footballing parishes nearby in South Derry have real difficulty getting full sides put at juvenile level.

One way of another, amalgamations will be happening all over the country as small parishes struggle for numbers.

imtommygunn

Only two Cargin men on the panel.

bogieman

Amalgamation Proposal / Vision:

Carey McQuillan Rovers
St Mary's Cuchullains 
St Brigids Sharmocks
Oisin Emmets RuairíÓg

St Enda's Ardoyne Pearses
Colin Davitts
St Agnes ÉireÓg
Gort Lamh Dhearg
St Patricks Teresa's Mitchels
O'Donnells St John's Galls
St Paul's Rossa Sarsfields
St Brigid's Malachy's

Magee's UiNeill Saints
St Ergnat's Erins Own
St Comgall's Creggan NanÓg
St. Mary's Casements Gaels
St Mary's James and Joseph

http://gaaboard.com/board/Smileys/default/wink.gif
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

stiffler

Who are Colin Gaels ? What division do they compete in?

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

imtommygunn

Quote from: AQMP on December 09, 2016, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 09, 2016, 03:46:05 PM

I read somewhere that the Cargin contingent were offered the chance to sit out the McKenna Cup due to their season running on with the club championship.  A couple of other players from last year are playing with college sides e.g. Niall McKeever

Ah right. Makes more sense.

I think some clubs may have something to say about those amalgamations  ;D If they're needed for numbers in certain areas fair enough but in a lot of cases they aren't.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on December 09, 2016, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 09, 2016, 03:46:05 PM

I read somewhere that the Cargin contingent were offered the chance to sit out the McKenna Cup due to their season running on with the club championship.  A couple of other players from last year are playing with college sides e.g. Niall McKeever

What run??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

I'd love to see The conversation between St brigids and the Mals ....different perspectives to say the least lol.