Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Methinks you know all about it  my friend, please inform me and all those interested just when did a serving member of the county board send text messages to clubs in the county informing them where to put their respective X on the voting slip and include support names of fellow county officers.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2016, 07:12:29 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on December 02, 2016, 07:07:38 PM
Guess......he is a fellow whistler, and a 'by the post' mate who has texted clubs urging them to vote for his mate in the upcoming convention ?

JM also an ex whistle blower... again I haven't seen the text nor do I find that stuff surprising as it happened in the last 20 committees I can think of! Happens on every club ffs! Why anybody thinks this is newsworthy is deluded

Deluded? Like the abusive voicemail last year? Like there wasn't an issue with players backing the other team against London. Keep sweeping there lad. It never happened sure. Nothing to see here at all. They have gotten their man in and all is good.

Tyrone Eastwood gave years of service also and he resigned why? They changed their minds so that Corrigan could get a county final.

What next? The Bear pit getting a county final to please Mr Molloy? Actually don't suggest that just incase..........

Milltown Row2

Jesus 'the south west awakes' instead of dancing round it tell me what it was?? I've no idea what it said
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2016, 07:27:00 PM
Jesus 'the south west awakes' instead of dancing round it tell me what it was?? I've no idea what it said
Ask your secretary or Mr Reilly.....not Paddy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 02, 2016, 07:32:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2016, 07:27:00 PM
Ask your secretary or Mr Reilly.....not Paddy.

I'm asking you, you not going to tell me ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

podge

Quote from: bannside on December 02, 2016, 05:14:24 PM

There are a few absolutely critical positions at board level, especially PMC role as treasurer. It's vital he remains involved to see out the work that has been started. Therefore it dosent make sense to generalise about the board as a unit because of what may have been the actions of one individual.
Quote from: bannside on December 02, 2016, 01:43:22 PM

All in all the show will go on and this board despite the odd hiccup will lead us to a much better place in the years ahead. That has to be the best way of measuring their contribution to Antrim Gaa.

Genuine questions here and I am not having a pop.  But for those who don't have the 'benefit' of attending the county meetings, 1 year into the Vision what work has been started?  what tangible evidence is there that they will 'lead us to a much better place'?  What has PMC done around finances?

From where I stand, Antrim GAA is at as a low an ebb as I ever remember but perhaps there are some great developments going on in the background that I am aware of? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: podge on December 02, 2016, 08:49:26 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 02, 2016, 05:14:24 PM

There are a few absolutely critical positions at board level, especially PMC role as treasurer. It's vital he remains involved to see out the work that has been started. Therefore it dosent make sense to generalise about the board as a unit because of what may have been the actions of one individual.
Quote from: bannside on December 02, 2016, 01:43:22 PM

All in all the show will go on and this board despite the odd hiccup will lead us to a much better place in the years ahead. That has to be the best way of measuring their contribution to Antrim Gaa.

Genuine questions here and I am not having a pop.  But for those who don't have the 'benefit' of attending the county meetings, 1 year into the Vision what work has been started?  what tangible evidence is there that they will 'lead us to a much better place'?  What has PMC done around finances?

From where I stand, Antrim GAA is at as a low an ebb as I ever remember but perhaps there are some great developments going on in the background that I am aware of?

Dunsilly?

bannside

In a sentence Podge you have managed to say that things are at their lowest ebb. This is simply not true.

Dunsilly phase 1 complete and phase 2 negotiations will commenced shortly.
Barney Herron has done great work in his Health &Wellbeing role. Sean Kelly has been an outstanding PRO. Surely the hardest working PRO in the country and has taken PR to a new level.One of his videos was watched by 22k people.

Bronagh Lennon has completely revitalised the Scor and is an outstanding cultural officer. CCC have all competitions wrapped up and on schedule.

Club Aontroma has been revitalised too. Nearly 100 businesses have pledged £1k per annum.for the next 5 years. That's half a million pounds of funding which is an amazing achievement.

A special fundraising group has been set up to look at further funding opportunities and officials in the know are optimistic about a release of funding from Croke Park especially for Antrim.

Woodlands 4g pitch has been completed.

Casement Park redevelopment is going much better through the phases and Antrim executive officials have a new found credibility at provincial and national level. The social club issue has been tidied up for the meantime (not sure what's happening there to be honest) but they at least are being treated with some dignity.

A review committee set up to look into why our standards have slipped in inter county hurling. I'm sure we can instigate something similar for football too and we need to make this happen.

Finally, it should be acknowledged that a few individuals personally shored up our finances for a period whilst restructuring was going on, but you won't see that written down anywhere. That was low ebb.

All in all things have been taken on a fair bit inside a year. Whilst there is still a long way to go, a great start has been made. 

Galer

Wouldnt overly agree with bs as i would rather see more progress and postive talk but pj let it go its out with the old and in with the new.the old despite the odd true gael was not up to it and various regimes these people where involved in so if a few lambs have to b slaughtered for the greater good whats the problem?unless ur one of the lambs!

bannside

So Galer would like to see more progress and positive talk?

I've given you a whole list of positive developments and that's what you come back with.

Right. I'll keep this really simple.

Antrim Gaa just over a year ago was in complete turmoil. Now that WAS a low ebb. It couldn't write a cheque!! An enormous effort was put in behind the scenes by a few individuals to put together a county board that just might be able to sort out a huge mess. Quiet men like Dick Mc Keague, Tony Chivers and Brendan Mulgrew. Their efforts were largely successful even if it meant some pain for a few individuals in the process.

This was a massive turning point for Antrim Gaa.....because it was like a big ship heading straight for the rocks!

Firstly that ship had to be steadied. Then it needed a new crew. Next that crew needed to find out how things were done. After that they needed to build up a little steam of their own which was never going to be easy from a standing start.

Now they are head hunting a few new crew members to assist them build up some speed.

This is a turbulent time but will prove to be the making of Antrim Gaa. Even if that work could take a decade and people still won't be happy because we're not winning All Irelands by that stage.

From where we were to where we are in one year has been a magnificent achievement.

podge

Quote from: bannside on December 02, 2016, 10:22:16 PM
In a sentence Podge you have managed to say that things are at their lowest ebb. This is simply not true.

Dunsilly phase 1 complete and phase 2 negotiations will commenced shortly.
Barney Herron has done great work in his Health &Wellbeing role. Sean Kelly has been an outstanding PRO. Surely the hardest working PRO in the country and has taken PR to a new level.One of his videos was watched by 22k people.

Bronagh Lennon has completely revitalised the Scor and is an outstanding cultural officer. CCC have all competitions wrapped up and on schedule.

Club Aontroma has been revitalised too. Nearly 100 businesses have pledged £1k per annum.for the next 5 years. That's half a million pounds of funding which is an amazing achievement.

A special fundraising group has been set up to look at further funding opportunities and officials in the know are optimistic about a release of funding from Croke Park especially for Antrim.

Woodlands 4g pitch has been completed.

Casement Park redevelopment is going much better through the phases and Antrim executive officials have a new found credibility at provincial and national level. The social club issue has been tidied up for the meantime (not sure what's happening there to be honest) but they at least are being treated with some dignity.

A review committee set up to look into why our standards have slipped in inter county hurling. I'm sure we can instigate something similar for football too and we need to make this happen.

Finally, it should be acknowledged that a few individuals personally shored up our finances for a period whilst restructuring was going on, but you won't see that written down anywhere. That was low ebb.

All in all things have been taken on a fair bit inside a year. Whilst there is still a long way to go, a great start has been made.

I would have to say that's a perfectly reasonable list after 1 year. 

Like I said, it was a genuine question and I personally would not be aware of all these developments.  I am quite sure the perception that I gave around low ebbs is not unique to me.

I would say the man in the street is looking at the papers and seeing the casement debacle (admittedly mainly an ulster council lead project), the farce with the hurling management at the start of the year, the poor performances on the pitch at county level, more negative publicity re JM pulling out etc and thinks where is the progress? 

I am not sure I attribute the entirety of the list to the new regime but at least they got some of them over the line (eg Dunsilly) and deserve credit for that.  I would also like to understand a bit more re the finances, the exact arrangement with Club Aontroma etc - I expect that will be apparent at Convention

Maybe on the back of the convention, it is an opportune time for the PRO to have an article in the Press highlighting some of these positive developments.  Might get a bit of buy in from the man on the street.

Glad I asked and glad you answered.

bogieman

Podge, I'm glad you asked too, very informative.

When you join Club Aontroma, they tell you the relationship and exact arrangements.

Sean Kelly does an absolutely sterling job.

Bronagh didn't have the vision when she got position over JH, nevertheless outstanding over the past year.

Regarding TR, 3 strikes you're out is my opinion, but I haven't seen the texts...
He knows, and the rest know; so we'll soon see if the board discharge their responsibilities properly.

BS, your summary has a feelgood factor, you and Sean should put a monthly update on the Antrim website along these lines for all antrim gaels.
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

country bumpkin

Quote from: bogieman on December 03, 2016, 12:30:22 PM
Podge, I'm glad you asked too, very informative.

When you join Club Aontroma, they tell you the relationship and exact arrangements.

Sean Kelly does an absolutely sterling job.

Bronagh didn't have the vision when she got position over JH, nevertheless outstanding over the past year.

Regarding TR, 3 strikes you're out is my opinion, but I haven't seen the texts...
He knows, and the rest know; so we'll soon see if the board discharge their responsibilities properly.

BS, your summary has a feelgood factor, you and Sean should put a monthly update on the Antrim website along these lines for all antrim gaels.
Got it right Podge......BS seems to have insight into our affairs but does ignore the fact that neither Sean or Bronagh were part of the Visionarys, and both excelled in their respective posts with the former the best PRO for as long as I can remember.
I do wonder if they had not proved so proficient in those positions would TR have been suggesting their removal in that txt and looked to head hunting to replace?

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2016, 07:19:59 PM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. So what if they thought he was a dick and wanted rid of him. Hardly a big deal.

Plenty of dicks still in office on the county board. Backstabbing dicks into the bargain that are only there for self promotion.

bannside

CB, I agree Sean and Bronagh are fantastic in their roles and weren't part of original SV. But you seem to think I am part of it, or even their trumpet or apologist. I'm not any of those.

Sean and Bronagh are just two superb ambassadors of which there are lots of others working away diligently in our clubs.

I know many very capable club administrators who wouldn't have had any remote interest in putting themselves forward for the county executive. It's been like that for a while now and hopefully that perception can change and it will once again be considered a great honour to occupy a county office.

Don't know why but I just got a wee flashback of the great Gerry Barry RIP who was an example to all.