Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on November 19, 2016, 08:37:02 AM
ITG, thanks at least for trying to answer my question. You say there have been a few SW managers. But no names? Yes I took under 21s for a year and did another couple after that.. but as assistant to Mickey Culbert who was the senior manager with responsibility for U-21s. Danny O Neill from Ahoghill had a spell as joint manager of the minors along with Fitzy for a few years.

A Glenravel man (schoolteacher) took Antrim minors when they won the Ulster championship back around 84.

But I'm thinking in 45 years (probably more) that's all I remember unless I've forgotten someone!

That's 3 age groups x 45 years =135 years.....and from that 2 years in total where someone from SW was sole manager of an Antrim county team. Where's the equity in that?

Bs i tend to know south west faces from ahoghill etc but not names and they always tended to be in assistant capacity hence no names. That doesn't read well at all. It's actually something i'd love to see a wiki on but haven't the historical knowledge to put together.

bannside

As a self confessed Antrim Football fanatic ITG, unfortunately I am fairly sure those horrendous statistics are true.

I'm waiting for someone adopting the angle "Well who should we have had. Who have we missed out on" and possibly MR2 is thinking along those lines when he points out that from the winning SW c'ship clubs this year, how many had SW managers.

Plus there's no point in getting into names for others to mock or scorn and say "he wouldn't be good enough".

90% of our managers in that time were city men and sure we haven't exactly set the world on fire, have we?

Maybe I'm being opportunistic given the year SW clubs have had. Plus I dont want to create any SW v SA division as we dont need that crap. But I think the disparaging gap needs to be acknowledged and addressed going forward. The caveat being aspiring SW managers need to have the criteria to perform at that level just like I would expect city managers to have the necessary criteria as well and not rely on the nod and a wink principle that has often been the case.

Mickey Linden

Matches still go ahead today? Looks to be bad frost and fog still

country bumpkin

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 20, 2016, 10:46:48 AM
Matches still go ahead today? Looks to be bad frost and fog still
lovely day in Toome ML..........."God's Own Country".......

bannside

Our lads just leaving now for Toome. Hearing great reports about Aghagallon from people who would be good judges so I hope for the best but fear the worst.

Attended the Clash Of the Saffrons fight nite in thd Devenish last night and what a really great and we'll organised night it was. Some great bouts too there wasn't much holding back!

There's an awful lot of good will out there for Fitzy and Co judging by the huge turnout. It's not too much to ask for supporters to get behind them and create a positive environment for good Antrim men who are doing their utmost to put some pride into Antrim Football.

Mickey Linden

Bad conditions in Toome today. However, aghagallon much superior team. Prob would have won by more in better conditions. Should be a good final v st endas the tournament favourites.

bannside

Portglenone have no complaints. Beaten by a very well drilled Aghagallon team with more than their share of quality players at this level. With many of them involved with their club intermediate team you could see their fitness and touch around the ball was excellent for the time of year. Good luck to them in thd rest of their campaign.

JimStynes

Handy win in the end and our Intermediate run definitely helped us at this level. Portglenone looked like they had a few cracking players but their tactics seemed to be to go out and try rough up Aghagallon at the start but it back fired badly. Midfielder was pulling and digging from the first whistle and eventually got himself sent off for a clear punch. A number of others at the same craic but it wasn't going to put our fellas off as they're well able to handle themselves. Conditions were crap for spectators but I am not sure what it was like for the players. You could hardly see who scored. I know very little about St. Enda's but they have been tournaments from the start so we will be up against. We are a good side as well though and it should be a good game.

Mickey Linden

I know in the past Aghagallon players have been generally overlooked by Antrim for one reason or another but would some of their young players not be worth a look at by the county management team now?

bannside

Yes definitely ML. At least two of todays u 21 team are already on county management radar. Possibly another few to add to that as they go....

Galer

U21s county??will it not b all st endas players??it was last year

JimStynes

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 20, 2016, 06:24:36 PM
I know in the past Aghagallon players have been generally overlooked by Antrim for one reason or another but would some of their young players not be worth a look at by the county management team now?

I think a mixture of being overlooked and players not having the motivation to play for Antrim.

bogieman

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 20, 2016, 04:05:13 PM
Bad conditions in Toome today. However, aghagallon much superior team. Prob would have won by more in better conditions. Should be a good final v st endas the tournament favourites.

I'd like to think Rossa will have a say in this  ;)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Na Glinntí Glasa

ML only one of our minors that won the county final was even on the county squad and he didnt even get any game time so walked away.

Being dual players also doesnt help esp when most are doing A levels during the year. Not easy for lads to commit.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

Quote from: JimStynes on November 20, 2016, 08:09:38 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 20, 2016, 06:24:36 PM

I think a mixture of being overlooked and players not having the motivation to play for Antrim.

Agree - there are generally a number of reasons why the best players are not out at any given age group and apathy towards the county is one of them.