Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DearyMe on September 01, 2015, 12:26:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 31, 2015, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on August 31, 2015, 10:57:21 AM
Was arranged as a stand alone game.........but obviously a double header would ensure an increase in admission........ £10?

Was a fiver into Corrigan on Sat for senior championship double header, why would it cost more for football?

And what a view you had for your fiver MR2  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Was a great view !!! Guinness was great also I might add
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Nope, just one game at Ahoghill on Friday.......................u will get in for a fiver MR2.......................bet down I hope :)

country bumpkin

Just off the fone to the very generous Paddy Power and here is the betting somebody asked for... Creggan 2/7 Ahoghill 3/1.......Gall's 8/15 Cargin 15/8...Rossa 1/2 Aldergrove 7/4 and L Dearg 1/4 Casement's 100/30.....what u think MR2 :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 02, 2015, 08:18:08 PM
Just off the fone to the very generous Paddy Power and here is the betting somebody asked for... Creggan 2/7 Ahoghill 3/1.......Gall's 8/15 Cargin 15/8...Rossa 1/2 Aldergrove 7/4 and L Dearg 1/4 Casement's 100/30.....what u think MR2 :)

Draw looks good for our game (always one draw) others to go to the favourites. For our game whoever gets that 'Magic' goal will decide the winners I think.... Hopefully CJ or Mickey come up trumps again.... Will youse continue to keep the same defenders on these lads like last year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

M Pollock will certainly have a different marker this time, pace is required and my vote would be delivered to Kobo...................watched them training the other nite and they really are flying...........full panel and JB will have a task in selection.
On the other games I think Ahoghill are a serious bet at 3/1...............should be 1/1 ur pick in that one...........Rossa at 1/2 is a steal and although L Dearg should beat Casements it may well be a lot closer than some would think :-\

erinsboy

Some of them defenders may well be forwards this time MR2   ;)

country bumpkin

If u know ur history shoebox then u should know that JB has never lost a championship game at Cargin.......a factor?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 02, 2015, 10:48:26 PM
If u know ur history shoebox then u should know that JB has never lost a championship game at Cargin.......a factor?

What's his results like at Ahoghill though?

country bumpkin

Right then I will tell those silly Culchies not to weigh in then Shoebox.................

country bumpkin

I am sorry to say that ur opinion is quite irrelevant down here in Toome Shoebox, as such is based on perception from afar.......think u should stick to the hurling affairs for the present...........how long has it been since a city side has claimed the Volunteer cup.....mental frailties within.................or indeed how long has it been since any other city based side, other than the exceptionally excellent Gall's, won a senior championship?
Lotta mental frailties??

Milltown Row2

This is silly and irrelevant Cargin have been an outstanding team that have just happened to come up against another outstanding team, had these teams came along at different generations they would have won a lot of championships .. such being we have managed to come out on top the most during this period... the sad thing is that having such good teams that could compete on the Ulster stage (club football) that we haven't managed to have a decent county team (bar team that got to Ulster final) that could live with the likes of Armagh Tyrone and Donegal

My only gripe is traveling down for a match on a Friday night and it will be fecking freezing !!!!!!!!!!! Summer my ass

Kickham csc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 03, 2015, 09:04:41 AM
This is silly and irrelevant Cargin have been an outstanding team that have just happened to come up against another outstanding team, had these teams came along at different generations they would have won a lot of championships .. such being we have managed to come out on top the most during this period... the sad thing is that having such good teams that could compete on the Ulster stage (club football) that we haven't managed to have a decent county team (bar team that got to Ulster final) that could live with the likes of Armagh Tyrone and Donegal

My only gripe is traveling down for a match on a Friday night and it will be fecking freezing !!!!!!!!!!! Summer my ass
IGood points MR2 about the club standard, but if you take a longer look at the county in terms of good teams I believe we can see the worrying trend. In the past 20 years Antrim have been able to produce 3 teams that were good / competitive.

1995 - We had a team of great potential, did really well against Cavan, but fell apart after the Morrison / county board ruction.

2000-2001? - The team that went to the Ulster semi and had Derry beat except for some last minute heroics from big Antony, but fell apart after the manager resigned due to legit personal reasons

And the Ulster final team, which n fairness had a good 2-3 year period

The issue I have is that it looks like we produce a strong team every 10 years, and that each team lasts for about 1 year. We need more staying power and a speeding up of the frequency of good teams being produced.

Regarding Cargin / St Gall's rivalry , the margin of this rivalry is so small that it would have taken very little for Cargin to had dominated the past 10 years. St Gall's got on top, and have been so impressive with their endless obsession of winning Antrim, Ulster's and All Irelands, which has lead to an upper hand in Antrim that they have ruthlessly held onto.

imtommygunn

Creggan beat ahoghill by 7.

erinsboy

Ref shoe box

You are right we are a football only club in a small area with neighbouring dual clubs I think we do a good job with area we have ,look how many clubs we have in a five mile radius our pick is pretty small and we are still very successful if any club punches above there weight in promoting the GAA it is clubs like us not a city club with thousands of people living a few hundred mtrs from there club!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: erinsboy on September 03, 2015, 09:33:11 PM
Ref shoe box

You are right we are a football only club in a small area with neighbouring dual clubs I think we do a good job with area we have ,look how many clubs we have in a five mile radius our pick is pretty small and we are still very successful if any club punches above there weight in promoting the GAA it is clubs like us not a city club with thousands of people living a few hundred mtrs from there club!

Counter argument would be Belfast has soooo many clubs, we ain't parochial and so many other sports available.... Not to mention the other distractions of living in the big smoke!!... Is what it is I suppose and its all about cycles.. Ours is nearly up, will it be this Friday? :o