Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: bannside on January 20, 2015, 06:13:36 PM
A bit of a broad stroke there Skull. One turned down quite a lot more money elsewhere and another didn't ask for anything for himself at all. Don't believe all you read!

I'll take that advice right now!  ;D 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

culchie11

Bannside what did Moneyglass see that ur own club didn't?!
Good luck to john big challange for any man!
It's a pity yous didn't keep one of ur own instead of paying an outsider!
Just my opinion.

bannside

Our club dosent pay anyone Culchie  but a local sponsor has stepped in with the usual going rate expenses lol!

Gareth going to Moneyglass is interesting. He has a lot of motivation to prove that Portglenone were wrong to overlook him. A good lad who will give it all he has. Hopefully it will be good enough.

John has a tough job. There are no prizes for second around the Lough Shore. Lose a county final by a point and it's a downright failure of a season. But he is on a great upward curve in management/ coaching terms and this has not gone unnoticed by the Ballinderry observers who are never far off the mark.

A lot of eyes in Portglenone will be on the Derry league this year that's for sure!

Gizzy15

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 19, 2015, 11:52:31 PM
Relax.. Jim & Joe will sort everything out and all peace will be restored until somebody appeals about the junior hurling or the junior football championship and so called big teams in that having to be kicked out as the wee teams aren't gettin a chance!!

like yourself your point is irrelevant.

bannside

Senior Championship draw is really interesting this year. St Galls getting Cargin at an early stage means they will be getting  their show on the road just that bit earlier than usual.

None of the other 6 clubs in the other half of the draw will be terrified of each other, so  every club in that half will be giving themselves a chance of getting to a final.

All to play for.

bannside

Are all the managers now in place? Here's a quick guess as it stands. Please affirm if incorrect.
St Galls - Carl Mc Cabe
St John's - Peter McKeever
Lamh Dhearg?
Rossa?
Creggan - Paul Mellon
Ahoghill - Colm Graham/Paul Bradley
Casements - Paddy Mc Neill
Aldergrove -James Mc Grath
Cargin - John Brennan
St Teresas - Liam Mc Goldrick

bannside

It's often the case that the hardest job to get is your own club.  Gareth case is far from unique, especially in the case of a young manager cutting his teeth at senior level. But all the great managers have to start somewhere.

Look at my previous post for example. Only two of those eight are club men.

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be honest if it were me i would strive to contribute to the under age set up if i didnt get a post. i wont lie, not one penny could make me take another team. i wouldn't have the passion that i have for my own club.

but that just my opinion. i know Gareth as well and he's a good guy so good luck to him.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Thastheball on January 21, 2015, 11:52:34 AM
As you say, that's you. But some folk are more passionate and in some cases very ambitious and need or aspire to be involved in football at that level, if their own club has decided to ignore their approach, you would agree that the alternative is to manage another club team?

I think this is being slightly naive and maybe a little rose tinted. This is the culture that has grown up around the GAA in recent times.

Ambitious to achieve what? to earn what?

If your club doesn't want you as senior manager, there are countless teams to be involved in down the grades in your own club, that is unless it is more about the ego of the individual than it is about actually coaching.

imtommygunn

Quote from: NAG1 on January 21, 2015, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: Thastheball on January 21, 2015, 11:52:34 AM
As you say, that's you. But some folk are more passionate and in some cases very ambitious and need or aspire to be involved in football at that level, if their own club has decided to ignore their approach, you would agree that the alternative is to manage another club team?

I think this is being slightly naive and maybe a little rose tinted. This is the culture that has grown up around the GAA in recent times.

Ambitious to achieve what? to earn what?

If your club doesn't want you as senior manager, there are countless teams to be involved in down the grands in your own club, that is unless it is more about the ego of the individual than it is about actually coaching.

So if you want to get into SENIOR management but your own club won't have you what do you do? Who's to say any of these fellas don't help out at underage or have done for years? People can play and be involved in underage so have learnt their trade. AFAIK the fella here was involved in their under 21s.

Senior is entirely different from underage.

As much as one person can have rose tinted glasses someone else can be a bit on the other side too...

theskull1

Quote from: Thastheball on January 21, 2015, 09:25:54 AM
Skull, if you apply for your own club job, which seems to be the case here with Portglenone (reading the posts it seems it is a gentleman called Gareth) and didn't get it, do you expect him to not take a senior football team somewhere else? Is that it for his interest to develop his management skills at senior level?

I'm very much of the opinion that that expertise should be put to good use within the club. There'll always be a team in any club that will benefit from that ambition to be a better coach. Very few clubs have the luxury of too many coaches but in the event that was the case, and they wanted to develop their skills, there's always development squads that would be all the better for it. Strange the way there are so many "ambitious" coaches out there who want to develop their skills, yet development squad mentors are so hard to find? Why is that  ::)

Na Glinntí Glasa

i don't know what people want to achieve in GAA management here? i mean there's no job at the end of it that means you can ditch your 9-5 existence. Christ if that were the case i could be worth a fair penny with what i do! lol

hurl like f**k boi!

Catch and Kick

National League progress is the most important issue for county and clubs now. Antrim need to get out of Div 4 - another year there and it will become a graveyard for future teams. No wins in the McKenna Cup but at least plenty of players tried. Any ideas what the starting fifteen should be for the opener.

theskull1

Quote from: Thastheball on January 21, 2015, 12:26:47 PM
Jez, skull development squads meet about once every couple of weeks and IMO a waste of bloody time for everybody. I'm talking about management, not coaching

What is it about coaching a team that leaves one unfulfilled as a person as opposed to managing a team?

culchie11

Lads just to clear it up the fella in question managed/coached stinsons minors this last few years, was involved with portglenone u21s and reserves also and last year was part of the successful intermediate championship winning management team!
Natural progression would be to take the reins as senior manager!
I for one don't blame him for going elsewhere to gain senior management experience.
The question for some clubs is what would u pay for success?
The man portglenone installed as manager was turned down by his original native club as he was looking too much expenses!
Who is right and who is wrong?!
I don't buy it that a sponsor is payin a manager as his services r still come at a cost! Did the se sponsor think the previous manager who got the team promoted and won int champ wasn't worth it anymore, is the tail wagging the dog in this instance?!