Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingnut

Quote from: DearyMe on October 09, 2014, 12:24:43 PM
Quote from: wingnut on October 08, 2014, 12:20:24 PM
Quote from: DearyMe on October 07, 2014, 02:08:03 PM
'as well'???

Would never disrespect fellow gaels CB!  Ahoghill do a sterling job, and there ground is a fine facility. 

Its just not ideal, nor the best location or facility for a county final. IMO

Leaving aside your obvious dislike of ahoghill as a venue,which as your opinion is fair enough, some of the points you make are laughable and id say disrespectful too.
You couldnt see the pitch last year?? Why didnt you move somewhere where you could see the whole pitch. Theres plenty of vantage points around the grounds which allow this privilege and any of the stewards would have pointed you in the right direction.

The parking was a joke? In what way? On sunday past all cars were cleared from the pitch and field within 15mins of the full time whistle. For a crowd that size, thats not bad

What does the other venues you mentioned have over ahoghill that make them more of an ideal location and facility? Dont get me wrong, theyre all good venues which would have done a great job in hosting the match. I just dont understand why you have had such a dummy spit with ahoghill being chosen.

Deary Deary Me...

There were no cars on pitches last year? they were parked all the way up the road, both sides! (if they have cars on pitch now, then a welcomed progress indeed).

I couldnt move from my location because the place was mobbed, completely around the pitch, hanging over the fences, standing on fences, hills, anywhere they could grab an angle!  No gael should have to pay in to grapple for a look!

I dont have any personal issue with Ahoghill, hence my post!  Interesting reaction from the other posters on your input though! Think they might have a point.

But hey, you arent the first gael to react as if you own the club!

How is it disrespectful, did i offend someone?

It wasnt the intention to sound like self-praise, i was merely offering a reply on behalf of the club to some of your negative comments, thats all.

I sincerely hope you dont have as a negative experience this year, that is if you decide to put yourself through that ordeal two years on the trot!!

DearyMe

Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 09, 2014, 01:37:36 PM
Dear DM, methinks u are wobbling a little............... ;)

Nothing won on the board Cb. What price Cargin? Could make a few pound to help drown my sorrows
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

wingnut

Quote from: DearyMe on October 09, 2014, 02:52:35 PM
Seriously WN?

Deary me...

Seriously what? You offered criticism of the venue based on your experience at one match 1 year ago and you questioned the ability of Ahoghill to host the final this year which is definitely disrespectful and offensive to the volunteers who have gave up their time previously to oversee these matches and Im talking first hand here. Since that match there have been changes in the way these big matches have been hosted and Im sure youll see the benefits of that at the final.

Im not acting like I own the club, I just have a lot of pride in it and couldn't let your comments pass without replying. If it came across as self-praise that wasn't the intention at all.

DearyMe

I didn't question the ability of Ahoghill! Get it right!!!

Ok, I look forward to complimenting the CB decision to choose Ahoghill, after the final!

There's a first - volunteers in the gaa giving up their time!

And here, stop being a wing nut, calm down ;)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

billabong

I heard St Enda's U16s getting a shout out on the 2FM breakfast show this morning for their upcoming final against Sean Stinsons  ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: billabong on October 10, 2014, 11:37:29 AM
I heard St Enda's U16s getting a shout out on the 2FM breakfast show this morning for their upcoming final against Sean Stinsons  ;D

Heard that myself, was it South West league final or something?

billabong

Yeah South West I think I heard as well-not sure league or championship though

imtommygunn

I don't think there really is a championship... At least there wasn't in my day...

Generally top two in league go to final up to minor.

country bumpkin

Cargin are currently trading at 7/4 MR (fill ur boots).......................Ur boys are a massive 4/7............ ;)
Don't say i didn't tell ya.

manballandall

I will be having some of that . Cargins year this year ;)

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
I don't think there really is a championship... At least there wasn't in my day...

We always had two Championships up to minor. U12, U14 and U16 the winners of South West would play winners of South in Antrim Championship, then for Minor it was a county-wide open draw.

bannside

The difference being that at minor level there is an All County Minor League.

Before this, the SW used to have a SW minor league. Now that the league is all - county the SW invite the 4 best placed SW teams on league performance to play off in two semis and a final.

On Sunday Sean Stinsons played St Endas in that final. (St Endas are now affiliated to the SW leagues)

imtommygunn

Quote from: gallsman on October 14, 2014, 12:51:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2014, 01:51:32 PM

We always had two Championships up to minor. U12, U14 and U16 the winners of South West would play winners of South in Antrim Championship, then for Minor it was a county-wide open draw.

In the south west it was the winners of the league went through though as opposed to there being a championship.(minor was different) There seem to be play offs in the underage leagues now which I'm not sure there were previously. There definitely weren't shields. However I don't think we were ever near enough at the end of the season for me to know if there were league playoffs!

bannside

Big weekend ahead. Portglenone go into Ulster intermediate against Cavan champions Cootehill in the preliminary round of the Ulster intermediate. New territory so thats the big excitement round here. The big one for everyone else though will be the clash of the big two at Ahoghill. And its anyones game.

After St Galls despatched St Pauls with ease I predicted that St Galls were back to their imperious best. Now I am not so sure. Its back to Ahoghill where Cargin have played two matches so far - and thats worth a point or two. (The same way as I believed Casement was worth a few points start for St Galls.)

The availability of the excellent John Carron and Justin Crozier could tip the balance in Cargins favour. Neither played much so far and are now in the mix. While I remain a great admirer of what St Galls have done over the years, I have a feeling the men from Toome could finally get over the line this time round. Sometimes you have to lose one to win one - and thats exactly what they did last year.

Cargin have tweaked their style too since last year so I predict we will see a terrible game of low scoring football. Both teams pack defences and break from speed at the back, and there will be lots of slow build up play. Probably a 0-6 to 0-5 win for one of them. Dosent make the match any less intriguing though.

Surely no one could deny Cargin their moment. They have many players who have given a huge commitment to both club and county over the years and deserve a county winners medal in their careers. This time round I hope and believe they can. It would be great for South West Antrim who have been playing second fiddle for far too long.