Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Is this manager a case of jobs for the boys or what?

No ambition in this county.

Sickened with it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ck

Quote from: Gold on September 11, 2014, 10:56:58 PM
Is this manager a case of jobs for the boys or what?

No ambition in this county.

Sickened with it

We had the same problem in Sligo for years lads. Everyone blamed everything else like Sligo Rovers support basis, small county, struggling rural clubs. It wasn't till there was a proper shake up of the county board and they got good heads in with business brains and those who knew how to raise funds. We aren't exactly shaking the world up with our football but we won a Connacht a few years ago and our underage structures are very strong. Ambition is everything, excuses is nothing

bannside

Brendan Crossan dosent miss and hit the wall in his "Boot Room" column in todays Irish News.

Some gems. " If there is a worse way to do your business you can bet your last euro that the Antrim board will choose that path" is one that stands out.

Lets be clear about this. Some of these men (not all it has to be said) involved in running Antrim at the minute are not our friends. They are wading in a pile of their own self made shite, going from one disastrous debacle to another. They are a mile out of their depth and in fact are a real and present danger to us all. If they had ANY remote sense of honour or dignity they would put their hands up and admit that, and move aside at the earliest opportunity.

bannside

CK, thanks for your imput and concern. Your point is most valid and in most encouraging. We understand where we are at, and its good to know that you guys have got some good structures working in Sligo.

Interestingly Antrim are trying very hard to put the correct structures in place for hurling, and are succeeding to some tangible extent. Under age hurling development work is going well, and there are a lot of good hurling people who have stood up and made things happen. Kevin Ryan gets a lot of support for his various initiatives as senior and under twenty one manager, especially things like strength and conditioning etc. Best of all they have a clear vision of what they are trying to achieve, and there are lots of people, including the business community, are putting their shoulder to the wheel.

Football, by comparison is a disaster area. But yes, everything we need to do is achievable. All it takes is for the county to call an open meeting of anyone interested in fixing those problems to come together and do something about it. Thats all it would take. But amazingly, this has not happened.

Personally what I would like to see is a football sub committee implemented to oversee ALL things football. From coaching the coaches, to school development, to individual conditioning programmes, to a joined up plan, to some essential criteria for the selection of managers, and most of all a support group that would raise the necessary finance to help make things happen.  ALL ACHIEVABLE.

I would forecast that we would be a solid division two team, pointing upwards, at worst within five years.

Now this WONT happen under our current administration. No one wants to work with them or be anywhere near them.

Thereby the short term challenge is not football related at all. That will come next.

brendanbelfast

We are at a low ebb alright. Brendan Crossan may have some valid points but boy does he love having a go at Antrim in his column.

I'm not sure that giving Aidan O'Rourke a blank cheque and a 5 year term was the right answer, he didn't exactly lift Louth to new heights. And in a roundabout way maybe Fitzy is well placed to work with the current crop having looked after the U21s for the last 2 seasons. However we got to where we are Frank and his team deserve support at this stage. We should recall that we had a terrific - if scary - win over Fermanagh and were competitive V Donegal for half a game. Our U21s put in 2 strong performances V Armagh. The raw materials would appear to be there.

But I'm not glossing over anything, a major overhaul is required, there has to be a will to accept that (which isn't there) and it needs resources (they aren't there either it seems.) We are in dark days. 

glens abu

Quote from: brendanbelfast on September 12, 2014, 11:24:40 AM
We are at a low ebb alright. Brendan Crossan may have some valid points but boy does he love having a go at Antrim in his column.

I'm not sure that giving Aidan O'Rourke a blank cheque and a 5 year term was the right answer, he didn't exactly lift Louth to new heights. And in a roundabout way maybe Fitzy is well placed to work with the current crop having looked after the U21s for the last 2 seasons. However we got to where we are Frank and his team deserve support at this stage. We should recall that we had a terrific - if scary - win over Fermanagh and were competitive V Donegal for half a game. Our U21s put in 2 strong performances V Armagh. The raw materials would appear to be there.

But I'm not glossing over anything, a major overhaul is required, there has to be a will to accept that (which isn't there) and it needs resources (they aren't there either it seems.) We are in dark days.

Think you are glossing over it Brendan,when people like big Tyrone can have the final say in who gets the job something badly wrong with CB.Do not always agree with Crossan but think he is spot on this time and you guys need to take a good look at yourselves and those holding back progress should move on.

bannside

Brendan knows better than anyone Glens where the problems lie and is as good a gael as there is. Yes he has to stick to the official line at times but that is due to circumstances.  In a progressive management committee he would be a valuable asset.

brendanbelfast

Glen - if this

'A major overhaul is required, there has to be a will to accept that (which isn't there) and it needs resources (they aren't there either it seems.) We are in dark days.'

is glossing over, I'd hate to read an honest assessment.

country bumpkin

So the Milltown men are in two finals...................what chance the double?

culchie11

Hurling final is down for same weekend as senior football semis, football will prob be moved. Galls will give hurling their best shot, c'dall will be tough to crack.

IFC final should be a cracker. Portglenone had a good win today over st Teresa's.

Moneyglass proved too strong for Glenavy.

Portglenone slight favs only just, they have a bigger goal threat.

Goals win games.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 14, 2014, 09:12:25 PM
So the Milltown men are in two finals...................what chance the double?

Creggan gives yous a game last year, I expect a tight low scoring game, can't see Creggan going 15 0n 15. Cargin easier rout to the final so they will be a lot fresher for it, ah well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Watched Moneyglass brush a strong Glenavy aside to-day and the Intermediate final will be evens your pick...............Creggan do fancy their chances against the Milltown row men........in the upcoming senior semis.......But................Cargin will probably struggle to get over St Teresa's and will concede to Gall's in the final as previously agreed...................Bannside ain't impressed with the Toome men anyway....and Comghall's are a shoo in in the junior. 

SambaSaffron

I think Cargin will beat St Theresas handy, Portglenone gave them a hammering in the league yesterday and I don't think they are quite at Cargin's level. Cargin by 11. St Galls should be comfortable enough against Creggan, 5-6 points I'd say. Unless Cargin improve a lot I don't think they'll challenge St Galls, would love to be proved wrong though!
I don't agree that the intermediate is a 50-50, Portglenone have cruised through against 2 of the best teams in the championship while Moneyglass have struggled. As I said before I think Portglenone will have a good shout in Ulster and possibly beyond. PG1 by 5.
I don't know much about the junior but I'd like to see Antrim win it. I'll guess Antrim by the minimum.

bannside

Wondering if any Antrim clubs are going to sevens tournaments this weekend?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 17, 2014, 09:37:47 AM
Wondering if any Antrim clubs are going to sevens tournaments this weekend?

We are
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea