Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

Quote from: bannside on March 26, 2014, 03:08:14 PM
The best of luck to Fitzy, Gerard and the lads tonight in Pairc Esler. Its there to be won.

The most optimistic poster on the board goes to............. 'Bannside'!!!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Man Marker on March 26, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 26, 2014, 03:08:14 PM
The best of luck to Fitzy, Gerard and the lads tonight in Pairc Esler. Its there to be won.

The most optimistic poster on the board goes to............. 'Bannside'!!!!

Not a bad thing - we need more optimism in antrim!!

Hopefully we have learnt from the last day and can push on and win this tonight. Won't be easy but we have shown we can compete and have the beating of their defense so if we tighten up at the back here's hoping!

Man Marker

There's two ways of looking at it, your way, or my way, history favours my way. But in saying that I wouldn't complain if the Armagh got dumped.

imtommygunn

Any reports from the U21 game? I was following it on twitter. Sounds like they put in a spirited display but being down to 14 was just too much especially with a guy who scored 3-4 the last day being lost so early.

Sounded like the goalie made a few cracking saves and McBride did a lot of damage on the scoreboard.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2014, 09:22:38 AM
Any reports from the U21 game? I was following it on twitter. Sounds like they put in a spirited display but being down to 14 was just too much especially with a guy who scored 3-4 the last day being lost so early.

Sounded like the goalie made a few cracking saves and McBride did a lot of damage on the scoreboard.

No good--its not like you can say sure these boys will do well in the Senior Team. At Underage its all about here and now. Stupid to get sent off last night as we could've won that game and who knows beaten Donegal in the Semi. Think that same team beat Donegal in the Minor Championship a few years ago.

Waste.

Still no U-21 win since 06 and 03 before that. Before that was probably 1989.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theskull1

From report on the County Website

QuoteMcGrady was one of the men Armagh Manager Stevie McDonnell had publicly singled out as someone the Orchard men would need to stop. Well, he saw red after the linesman consulted the umpire, then the linesman. Naturally enough as soon as the red was flashed Lazarus resumed his position in the Armagh full back line.

Hardly the type of match reporting used expect from an official County Website I would have thought

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bannside

Mc Gradys man set out to do a wind up job, and succeeded. We would almost definitely have won the match with him on the pitch, because when they left their extra man in heart of defence, it made it very hard to use the long ball to any effect.

Another one that will be remembered for getting away. We went toe to toe for 2 and a half hours and make no mistake Armagh knew they were in a game. But the stats will not remember those details.

I was along the line in 04 when we lost in Crossmaglen to a similar margin, and they went the whole way that year. So whilst we know we are as good as them in this age group, it will be interesting to see just how good Armagh really are.  I think they can beat Donegal, bvut cant see them troubling Cavan.

Credit to players and management for emptying the tank. We cant ask for more than that.

brendanbelfast

Quote from: theskull1 on March 27, 2014, 11:34:47 AM

QuoteMcGrady was one of the men Armagh Manager Stevie McDonnell had publicly singled out as someone the Orchard men would need to stop. Well, he saw red after the linesman consulted the umpire, then the linesman. Naturally enough as soon as the red was flashed Lazarus resumed his position in the Armagh full back line.

Hardly the type of match reporting used expect from an official County Website I would have thought

Why not? Just reporting on the game I watched.

haranguerer

Did you see the incident McGrady was sent off for?

NAG1

Quote from: brendanbelfast on March 27, 2014, 01:35:50 PM

It is not the type of reporting that I as an Antrim supporter want to see on our official county website. However it is befitting and in keeping with the standard of the rest of it I will give you that Brendan.

theskull1

Quote from: brendanbelfast on March 27, 2014, 01:35:50 PM

As a spectator you are well within your right to call it as it is and may very well be true. I'm suggesting your inferences aren't befitting of a report on the official county website. I find it strange that that needs to be explained
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

culchie11

To be fair i think brendan does a great job. as far as i know he was the outgoing county pro, im not sure if anyone else stepped up to the plate & that is why brendan is still continuing to act in this role.

we would be giving off if there wasnt a short report written.

im sure if it was off the ball, not many seen the incident!

its always the one who retaliates that gets caught as they say  ;)

country bumpkin

Jeez such a load of rubbish from a few individuals making comment on a 'match report'.
How many of those fair minded individuals were at the game?....None probably.
How many of those 'fair minded commentators' would have made complimentary comment if Brendan had noted that young O'Grady deserved to be sent off?
Dammed if you do .............................etc etc springs to mind.

bannside

Brendan does a good job under what must be very trying circumstances. Personally I don't mind seeing him wear his heart on his sleeve. He was at the game on Wednesday and just like the rest of us felt the frustration of seeing a rare victory turn to a defeat on the back of an incident, which may, or may not have been entirely pre-meditated.

Mc Grady has his side of the story to tell and its one of total provocation from the start. And to describe the way the Armagh player got to his feet after the red was flashed could not be described better than "Lazarus like". And if that's the term used on our county website - well under the circumstances I think it couldn't have been described any more accurately.

You would have needed to have been there........

bannside

Just going by the eye witness accounts HS which have been handed down from generation to generation for the last 2000 years - So they must be true....LOL.