Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jftj

I,ve said this before-bakers sole tactic was to play a sweeper.Antrims success was largely down to Terry O'Neill being able to play it so effectively.Other teams caught onto this but Antrim contjnued on without a plan b.I,d have expected adams/madden to be more astute but lets just hope paddyb has learned  a little along the way.if hes half as good a coach as he was a player then antrim will benefit,if not then we could be in trouble.

glens abu

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 04, 2013, 01:59:03 PM
Could anyone post the article in the IN were Paddy confirmed he is taking Gweedore because I read it earlier and didnt see it!
As I said yesterday, Paddy confirmed to the club weeks ago he is going to continue playing when he can and when it doesnt interfere with Antrim. This talk of Gweedore is pie in the sky stuff.
He has kids and is currently building a house FFS
But its no surprise that Glens Abu and Man Marker want to try and make a story out of anything Paddy does. Serious gripe you men have I tell you.

Yeah I do have a problem with a man who has walked out on his OWN county twice when the going got tough so worry about him being involved with my county.If you get your INews again and look at top right hand of page 61 you will read what you can't believe and think is pie in the sky.

glensman-derry

You know what, your probably right. Its all about the money. I'd say both are cleaning up. Sure I heard Paddy only started the house when he heard the Antrim job was confirmed. No mortgage needed 
The Baker is cruising round in a new Merc the last few weeks to. Its all adding up now  :)
Dont have the IN at hand. So Paddy confirmed this did he?

glens abu

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 04, 2013, 03:32:36 PM
You know what, your probably right. Its all about the money. I'd say both are cleaning up. Sure I heard Paddy only started the house when he heard the Antrim job was confirmed. No mortgage needed 
The Baker is cruising round in a new Merc the last few weeks to. Its all adding up now  :)
Dont have the IN at hand. So Paddy confirmed this did he?

oK Paddy are you telling us you are not going to help Cassidy as I will believe it from the horses mouth rather than believe what is in IN

bannside

Oneclubonelife. Not hard to imagine what "more" expansive might look like.

For a start I don't ever want to see an Antrim team in the position of being four or five points behind, with ten minutes left to play - and its a case of "find the forward"with 12 or 13 men still BEHIND the ball.

Unfortunately that's what we have been seeing too much of in recent years and not only does it rarely win matches, but its very hard to watch. Open things up a bit and if we go down its with our swords held high.

There needs to be enough targets to hit, and support play which allows us to do more damage in THEIR half of the pitch.

Does that sound fair enough?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on December 04, 2013, 03:57:29 PM

For a start I don't ever want to see an Antrim team in the position of being four or five points behind, with ten minutes left to play - and its a case of "find the forward"with 12 or 13 men still BEHIND the ball.

Unfortunately that's what we have been seeing too much of in recent years and not only does it rarely win matches, but its very hard to watch. Open things up a bit and if we go down its with our swords held high.

There needs to be enough targets to hit, and support play which allows us to do more damage in THEIR half of the pitch.

Unless all our lads can win their own ball when it's been put into them then we will get hammered by the defensive minded teams in Ulster, the big man up front could end up getting swamped by defenders and not get the ball off early to the supporting players.

It's a bollix in fairness but we are years behind beating a system like that. Glenswilly used it well this year came up short in the end but with Murphy able to win his own ball hold it up and create passes or fouls ;) we'd need to find a player like that.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glensman-derry

The best I can do is get you his number Glens. Best that way anyway. Sort out your differences instead of constantly coming on here to slate the man

RefForFee

Quote from: oneclubonelife on December 04, 2013, 03:03:30 PM
I think Bannside that you are missing the point-Baker connot loose as it has been said that Antrim are at an all time low and hopefully for Antrim the only way is up. Baker is very tactically naive which has been proven at all the clubs he has been at.He has brought Paddy along to put him in the shop window so when Antrim have gained promotion in 2014 Paddy will be able to step on to the managerial gravy train doing the rounds. Make no mistake about that Baker and Paddy could not give a toss about Antrim - it is all about them and their status and what they can get out of it.

Bannside - exactly what is this expansive style of play that you are referring to
I like your style man.  If (inept) Baker and Boy are not good enough for Derry, there not good enough for us.  The article in the IN today is an absolute laugh.  He does not mind the students play for the universities as long as they don't play against Antrim.  He is obviously worried they (the students) are potential scoring machines with the potential to beat Antrim, because we have a panel of such prolific scorers!  What's our average per game, about 9 points?

As regard grooming Paddy for when Antrim get promotion out of Div. 4, getting out of Div. 4 is not a given, believe me!  There are many who believe the only way is UP for Antrim football, I am just pleased there is no Div. 5.  With this management team I despair, no tactical knowhow-diversity, no vision, no desire to change things around, no influx of new blood, Scullion and a few others passed there sell by, but hey, the new Merc will facilitate a quick get away from Creggan.   Vvvvrrrrmmmmm  ;D  Equally, that 2nd option of Adams and Madden not much of an alternative.  But they haven't gone away ya know  ;) ???
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

country bumpkin

Quote from: RefForFee on December 04, 2013, 06:52:43 PM
I think Bannside that you are missing the point-Baker connot loose as it has been said that Antrim are at an all time low and hopefully for Antrim the only way is up. Baker is very tactically naive which has been proven at all the clubs he has been at.He has brought Paddy along to put him in the shop window so when Antrim have gained promotion in 2014 Paddy will be able to step on to the managerial gravy train doing the rounds. Make no mistake about that Baker and Paddy could not give a toss about Antrim - it is all about them and their status and what they can get out of it.

Bannside - exactly what is this expansive style of play that you are referring to
I like your style man.  If (inept) Baker and Boy are not good enough for Derry, there not good enough for us.  The article in the IN today is an absolute laugh.  He does not mind the students play for the universities as long as they don't play against Antrim.  He is obviously worried they (the students) are potential scoring machines with the potential to beat Antrim, because we have a panel of such prolific scorers!  What's our average per game, about 9 points?

As regard grooming Paddy for when Antrim get promotion out of Div. 4, getting out of Div. 4 is not a given, believe me!  There are many who believe the only way is UP for Antrim football, I am just pleased there is no Div. 5.  With this management team I despair, no tactical knowhow-diversity, no vision, no desire to change things around, no influx of new blood, Scullion and a few others passed there sell by, but hey, the new Merc will facilitate a quick get away from Creggan.   Vvvvrrrrmmmmm  ;D  Equally, that 2nd option of Adams and Madden not much of an alternative.  But they haven't gone away ya know  ;) ???
Memory a bit short ref.........do u forget those heady days of a few years back when the Baker led us to back to back promotion, from the depths of four onward to the second grade............or the trip to Clones to an Ulster final, and a trail which led to Tullamore and a thrilling game against the Kingdom............?????

RefForFee

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 04, 2013, 10:39:58 PM
Quote from: RefForFee on December 04, 2013, 06:52:43 PM

Memory a bit short ref.........do u forget those heady days of a few years back when the Baker led us to back to back promotion, from the depths of four onward to the second grade............or the trip to Clones to an Ulster final, and a trail which led to Tullamore and a thrilling game against the Kingdom............?????
A cold fact of life man, YOU get NOTHING for being 2nd ;) Two things that don't last in tis life man, dogs that chase cars and footballers playing under BAKER!
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2013, 04:05:08 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 04, 2013, 03:57:29 PM

Unless all our lads can win their own ball when it's been put into them then we will get hammered by the defensive minded teams in Ulster, the big man up front could end up getting swamped by defenders and not get the ball off early to the supporting players.

It's a bollix in fairness but we are years behind beating a system like that. Glenswilly used it well this year came up short in the end but with Murphy able to win his own ball hold it up and create passes or fouls ;) we'd need to find a player like that.
I have thought for years that antrim play too many hanky ball players up front .Top teams like Donegal can only afford to play 1 or 2.Even this years ulster champions Monaghan are a big powerful unit.Ballwinners up front should be the norm and not the exception,even if we have to convert midfielders or backs into these positions[one of pete mc graths a.i winning teams had 11 fellas who played midfield for their clubs].

country bumpkin

Quote from: jftj on December 04, 2013, 03:27:29 PM
I,ve said this before-bakers sole tactic was to play a sweeper.Antrims success was largely down to Terry O'Neill being able to play it so effectively.Other teams caught onto this but Antrim contjnued on without a plan b.I,d have expected adams/madden to be more astute but lets just hope paddyb has learned  a little along the way.if hes half as good a coach as he was a player then antrim will benefit,if not then we could be in trouble.
some tactic indeed, took us to an ulster final, back to back promotions, and a trip to tullamore for an all ireland quarter final (in which we scared the proverbial s**t outa the kingdom............possibly a smidgeon of bias in ur post.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 08, 2013, 12:25:44 PM
some tactic indeed, took us to an ulster final, back to back promotions, and a trip to tullamore for an all ireland quarter final (in which we scared the proverbial s**t outa the kingdom............possibly a smidgeon of bias in ur post.

Ah happy memories. Plus don't forget we got to an AI U-21 football final in 1974.

RefForFee

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 08, 2013, 04:04:25 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on December 08, 2013, 12:25:44 PM

Ah happy memories. Plus don't forget we got to an AI U-21 football final in 1974.
We should be thankful there is even a Plan A.  - My simple theory about the game, win the win the ball, kick it over the bar or in the net, rake up a score, don't be afraid to shoot, if you don't shoot you don't score.  If you lose the ball, get it back off your opponent, kick it over the bar or in the net.  Simples!  ;D ;D ;)

country bumpkin

All Antrim games home games in football  (with the exception of one, 9th feb) are to be played in Creggan in 2014...........great venue!