Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on April 19, 2013, 01:59:24 PM
If KMG or FD were really interested in making this happen, it would have happened already. If I am not mistaken did Kevin not come out and make some negative sounds about FD`s appointment in the first place? If so I would be very surprised to see a reconciliation at this stage. Run with the fox or hunt with the hounds - but its very hard to get away with both!

But I wouldn't rush to put all the blame on this on Kevin. Chances are he was rang up by a sports reporter from the Irish News and asked for a minute of his time, and a few general questions ended up in a big story that involved KMG face on the very front page of the IN. Good chance there is a lot of opportunist journalism going on here. I would have my doubts that KMG instigated that item. But when he took the call and answered a few general questions he was always going to be screwed over.

If Kevin had said "No, I have no interest whatsoever in playing for either Antrim or Frank Dawson"  - it would likely as not have been turned into an even bigger big story too.  Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Is he going well with St Galls?

He knows the IN boys well enough now to know the craic so the blame lays squarely at his door. He is a publicity seeker and if he isnt getting it by playing then it has to be through not playing or being left out or injured.

bannside

I know this is off subject a bit, but doesn't Antrim Football really depress you at times?

I remember seeing an Antrim team at the top of Division One of the NFL. Ok - it was only after two or three games, but its a long way from where we are today. In fact is so far away its painful.

Its not as if we haven't produced enough quality players. The "batch" that should have been doing its stuff for Antrim in the last few years includes (in my book anyway) more than enough genuine quality to be anywhere near the basement division.

Grade A players that could make any county team include Sean Kelly (welcome back Sean) James Loughrey, Michael Magill, Kevin Niblock, Michael Mc Cann, Kevin O Boyle, Niall Mc Keever, and in my opinion, at his best doing everything right, Kevin Mc Gourty.

How many of those, at their best, would not have made that Mayo team that played in last years All-Ireland final? That lot should be household names by now, and if they were all around at the one time (AS THEY SHOULD) we would be looking at a good division two team, at worst.

glens abu

Quote from: bannside on April 19, 2013, 01:59:24 PM
If KMG or FD were really interested in making this happen, it would have happened already. If I am not mistaken did Kevin not come out and make some negative sounds about FD`s appointment in the first place? If so I would be very surprised to see a reconciliation at this stage. Run with the fox or hunt with the hounds - but its very hard to get away with both!

But I wouldn't rush to put all the blame on this on Kevin. Chances are he was rang up by a sports reporter from the Irish News and asked for a minute of his time, and a few general questions ended up in a big story that involved KMG face on the very front page of the IN. Good chance there is a lot of opportunist journalism going on here. I would have my doubts that KMG instigated that item. But when he took the call and answered a few general questions he was always going to be screwed over.

If Kevin had said "No, I have no interest whatsoever in playing for either Antrim or Frank Dawson"  - it would likely as not have been turned into an even bigger big story too.  Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Is he going well with St Galls?

Going on past reports he has phoned them,he likes to write an odd story about himself

manballandall

Wouldn't be the first time the irish news printed a fabricated story. Pinch of salt and give a fcuk come to mind.

bannside

Some good news. Minors beat Cavan on a scoreline of 4-11 to 0-05 in the Shield league semi-final. That's a quare turnaround from their first outing when they lost to Tyrone by a similar margin.

Some good players on this team that we will be hearing about in years to come. For now its one game at a time, but that's three wins now this season and that's a much better stat than we had been getting at this important age group for quite a while. Well done to all concerned and keep up the great work.

If we can get it right at minor and under twenty one, we wont ever be too far away.

Gold

Easy win again for galls v mglass

LD brought back down to earth by Cargin. LD v limited at back.

Brigids had unexpected win away to injury hit St Johns.

St Paul's and AGrove drew. All points vital and AGroves first ever senior (div1) point. A big fair fucks to them.

Creggan just beat Rossa tonite

Will be tight at bottom

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Who won the Rossa/Galls Feile final?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Rossa won handy enough in the end. Was pleased with our lads performance. this is an exceptional team they played.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Rossa seem to be producing good underage sides.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

manballandall

I heard rossa won by a point. 2-3 to 1-5

Simon Says

Terrible result for us yesterday against st bridgits, we are missing alot through injury but still felt we had enough to beat a weak st bridgits side and with the current debacle between senior hurling and football management things arent going well at the minute. What were the rest of div 1 results?

Simon Says

Janty doesnt want the hurlers playing for the footballers, and the under age teams that have been doing well (including his two sons) are taken preference over hurling, only in our club does this happen. every other dual club seem to be able to balance both codes.

Any other div1 football results from yesterday? we would need to be careful we dont end up in a relegation battle!

imtommygunn

Dual at county level is tough and nigh on impossible but to try and enforce that at club level is ridiculous and not very fair on boys that have grown up playing both, are young and all of a sudden need to stop dead.

Interestign result between Lamh Dhearg and Cargin. If Cargin had a FF line of Close, Magill and O'Boyle it would be pretty dangerous though they would still be miles of st galls I suspect!

Simon Says

I know its not fair on the lads who have won minor and under 21 football championships and we need them bleed into our senior team. Conall Kelly is a massive loss to us, hes out injured at the moment.

What way did that one end up between cargin and lamh dhearg?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on April 22, 2013, 12:14:15 AM
Rossa seem to be producing good underage sides.

A by product of the good hurling teams, that team is a great hurling team, and they won't be deterred by the success of the footballing side of things
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea