Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasharkin Gael

To be honest i haven't really witnessed any great midfield " pairings " this season. I have watched a fair few very good individual displays, but can't really think of a duo that stand out. Michael McCann, Paul Doc, aodhan gallagher all have given good performances but are let down by their partners at times. Big fella from Ahoghill great fielder and extremely strong but lacks a bit of mobility around the field, sorry don't know his name.
Tommy was right about All Saints but that was the season before last when Ballymena won Intermediate and Sean and Paddy were fantastic.

imtommygunn

St galls pairing complement each other well. Mcveigh and Logan were very good last year- not sure if Logan still playing though?

Rasharkin usually have boys like etherson and one of them hassons to partner Doherty so should be ok.

McCann and Gallagher should be county pairing in my view though.

Dawson a good appointment I think. Hopefully he'll do well. I think we have a decent squad and I hope to see less men behind the ball, though appreciate we need some, and more scores on the board.

culchie11

I think you will find aidso & Burkey from galls are best pairing about, no doubt about it.

Anyone think of players who might stand out at trial games for county?

Hopefully the best players turnout, which is not always the case!

For what it's worth here's a few I thought of:
Fergal Burke - Aldergrove
Paul Doherty - rasharkin
Michael McCarry - ballymena
Eamon McNeill - rasharkin
Patrick Kelly - portglenone
Phillip maguire - st Teresa's
Mckeirnan - sarsfields

imtommygunn

It would be good to see some of those galls boys back too.

Any lamh dhearg minors shaping up? Murray in forwards and Declan lynch is it? I wonder would they be worth a shot.

Full forward and a couple of wing half forwards from the league would be nice. Defence not looking bad but would still love to see Sean Kelly in there though expect it's unlikely.

CitySlicker11

How come some players that were not on last years panel have automatically been invited to this meeting, instead of being put forward by their clubs for the trial games that were announced. Saying that I do agree with the inclusion of most of the names that I refer to.

culchie11

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on October 12, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
How come some players that were not on last years panel have automatically been invited to this meeting, instead of being put forward by their clubs for the trial games that were announced. Saying that I do agree with the inclusion of most of the names that I refer to.

slick it looks like that list is made up of anyone involved this last 2 years.

Dreen

looks a strong list but there are a few as mentioned before in the thread who would be good enough to be in that mix.  Any news on a change in the league structures in Antrim next year?  New poster and as some of you will gather by my username i am a Rasharkin man.

Rasharkin Gael

wow. No Paul Doc it he the 45!! Absolutely amazed by his exclusion.

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: culchie11 on October 11, 2012, 09:12:02 PM
I think you will find aidso & Burkey from galls are best pairing about, no doubt about it.

Anyone think of players who might stand out at trial games for county?

Hopefully the best players turnout, which is not always the case!

For what it's worth here's a few I thought of:
Fergal Burke - Aldergrove
Paul Doherty - rasharkin
Michael McCarry - ballymena
Eamon McNeill - rasharkin
Patrick Kelly - portglenone
Phillip maguire - st Teresa's
Mckeirnan - sarsfields

I thought Ferghal Burke was the outstanding player in a very well drilled Aldergrove side. If he can keep his fitness level high and the weight off he should be given a chance at county level. Not many new faces given a chance from that panel of 45, wonder who picked it?

AQMP

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 11, 2012, 10:22:15 PM
http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=3592

One thing I notice if you ignore Michael Magill and Mark McAleese as the sole representatives of Randalstown and Portglenone, you have 43 players from just 9 clubs.

aontroim

No need for all the surprise / bemusement about who's on / not on that list of players names.  OPEN trials for ANY player nominated by their club start in a couple of weeks. 

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: aontroim on October 12, 2012, 01:13:17 PM
No need for all the surprise / bemusement about who's on / not on that list of players names.  OPEN trials for ANY player nominated by their club start in a couple of weeks.

Fair enough then, i suppose it gives the new management a starting point anyway.

culchie11

i agree with aontroim, frank dawson prob just asked for a list of who was involved previously & asked them all to a meeting to see if they are all interested in playing for their county again.

give frank a chance to get settled before we shout him down lads!

Rasharkin Gael

I played under Frank many years ago and i have a great deal of respect for him. Hope it goes well for him and Antrim.