Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Of the list, neither of the McGourtys were asked. Nor was McLean. Ridiculous.
Burke, O'Neill, Veronica and Pollock not good enough
Niblock in England but available.
Kelly not interested, but still better than any other option.
Don't know with Brady.

Butterknife told me this over a few biscuits.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 link=topic=21.msg1109992#msg1109992
As for SS2, he should lay of the Jammie dodgers. Steak Knife tells some yarns :o, he'll be saying they aren't playing for Antrim cause Baker is useless, I mean, a Derry man FFS

A Derry man not considered good enough to manage Derry. Think about it - you'll get there. Two fs in that off, by the way.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 11, 2012, 05:07:55 PM

Them 4 boys are good enough based on what we have at our disposal.

imtommygunn

Unfortunately it could maybe be the reverse of ambiton but I wouldn't be listening too much to that comment.

I think most people will be surprised if st galls don't win the championship easy this year.  You could arguably put any of their players on the panel - though "only" 6 or so should make the team.

To see them with 3 is disappointing as it makes us a lot weaker than we could be.

I have defended clubmen on here with PMs by the way. They're unlikely to get the press your club do though as slightly less successful :(

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 11, 2012, 05:30:51 PM
Unfortunately it could maybe be the reverse of ambiton but I wouldn't be listening too much to that comment.

I think most people will be surprised if st galls don't win the championship easy this year.  You could arguably put any of their players on the panel - though "only" 6 or so should make the team.

To see them with 3 is disappointing as it makes us a lot weaker than we could be.

I have defended clubmen on here with PMs by the way. They're unlikely to get the press your club do though as slightly less successful :(

I don't think anyone would disagree that we'd be a better team with all our (all clubs) best players on the team. But that's the way it goes, as a manager before, I couldn't get all our best players playing for the team, there are clubs up and down the country that have that problem.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Maybe it is Baker who has the problem with St Galls boys ?
Rumour that one of the Galls boys walked in on Baker talking about them behind their backs, the straw that broke the camels back me thinks but I could be wrong.

ManInBlackandGreen

Baker is just an eggitt, shud have gone 2 years ago and we should have had the sense to get someone in quicker, the rot has now set in and looks to be permanent! Did you read the county guestbook about the Referee decision in the Div4 game, just confirms what Ive be saying for donkey's about the majority of our average referee's poor and need the work, county and referee's committee not prepared to put their ass in a cramp and education on the rules non existent, sorry to say.

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 11, 2012, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 11, 2012, 05:07:55 PM

Them 4 boys are good enough based on what we have at our disposal.

Outside Burke none would make the 24 for a championship match. Burke would be a sub.

Ironically Pollock joined St Gall's partly to further his county career.

MR2, can't see Baker ever getting the Derry gig - that's from people who know much more than me.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

I don't agree with you there SS2. We are very limited at corner back and Veronica would be a good addition there. You're maybe right on Pollock but O'Neill is as decent as what we've got , bar Tomas McCann, at wing forward.

subterranean saffron

Just to clarify I never once suggested they don't have ambition, an alltogether ridiculous statement given their aspirations to win All Ireland medals every year.  I merely pointed out (like you) that the majority don't want to be there. The rest are not there at the managers behest and I think both instances are unfortunate for Antrim. On the bright side we are having some humdinger games between ourselves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: subterranean saffron on May 11, 2012, 07:21:12 PM
Just to clarify I never once suggested they don't have ambition, an alltogether ridiculous statement given their aspirations to win All Ireland medals every year.  I merely pointed out (like you) that the majority don't want to be there. The rest are not there at the managers behest and I think both instances are unfortunate for Antrim. On the bright side we are having some humdinger games between ourselves.

I stated this:

Did I say that their commitment was not as great as Kevin Maddens? If you want to start a thread on the level of commitment of Kevin Madden then I'd be the first to say the lad was a outstanding servant to Antrim football.

I stated reasons/excuses, neither of them, am I sure is the reason as to why they were not playing/picked for Antrim. My gripe was that another poster not you, and to an extent subterranean saffron, who questioned lacking ambition. I don't mind having a go at clubmen, have done in the past and will continue to do so.

Not you but Samba saff
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ManInBlackandGreen

AHHHHHH Jesus I may get the caks on, forgot about meeting the county stars at 7.30 in casement, hope theres tea and sarnies ;D

Simon Says

To say sean burke isnt good enough for county football is beyond me, as i stood and watched him up at our place the other night take one of our county players (Simon McDonagh) to the cleaners in midfield. all the st galls players you mentioned would no doubt make us a better force whether people like it or not. i think the problem lays with baker, having his fallouts with the mc gourtys and becoming too close to some of the boys who play for the clubs who rival st galls and rumour has it he has never got over St Galls defeating glenullin in an ulster club semi final the year before he took the antrim job, where he also allegedly punched cj mc gourty. If we are to go forward as a county, then we need our best players it is simple as that. our best players are from st galls as they have been county champions the past 10 years as much as it pains me to admit it as a johnnies man through and through. mc lean, brady, sean kelly, veronica, burke, o neill, niblock, all 3 mc gourtys, pollock and stewart. might not all start but having watched them dismantle us with 14 men for the entire second half, they could and should be on the panel. having seen the panel announced for the Championship, im hopeful we can turn monaghan over!

we have a big game tomorrow to get our season back on track after the farce of a management walked out!
Whack For a Diddle!

Milltown Row2

Seems at the request of the County football management they have called off the football games this Wed night in preparation for the Monaghan game.

That game is not till the 27th of May!!! Cotton wool out early for that one

Who was managing Simon?

Gold

Quote from: Simon Says on May 12, 2012, 05:04:48 PM
To say sean burke isnt good enough for county football is beyond me, as i stood and watched him up at our place the other night take one of our county players (Simon McDonagh) to the cleaners in midfield. all the st galls players you mentioned would no doubt make us a better force whether people like it or not. i think the problem lays with baker, having his fallouts with the mc gourtys and becoming too close to some of the boys who play for the clubs who rival st galls and rumour has it he has never got over St Galls defeating glenullin in an ulster club semi final the year before he took the antrim job, where he also allegedly punched cj mc gourty. If we are to go forward as a county, then we need our best players it is simple as that. our best players are from st galls as they have been county champions the past 10 years as much as it pains me to admit it as a johnnies man through and through. mc lean, brady, sean kelly, veronica, burke, o neill, niblock, all 3 mc gourtys, pollock and stewart. might not all start but having watched them dismantle us with 14 men for the entire second half, they could and should be on the panel. having seen the panel announced for the Championship, im hopeful we can turn monaghan over!

we have a big game tomorrow to get our season back on track after the farce of a management walked out!
Whack For a Diddle!

Who was the management team? What happened?

Who's in now as manager?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

manballandall

I believe eamonn blayney was the manager and walked after a bit of unrest and lack of commitment within the changing room$ no outsider will survive there let alone their own