Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crookes

Quote from: subterranean saffron on March 30, 2012, 01:55:35 PM
There is no doubt McVeigh and McKeever would make a difference around the middle. Crookes if you actually watched McVeigh in last years championship, as you say you did, then I find it difficult how you can doubt his ability/sheer power; fair enough have your opinions but to say he is 'not up to Inter County football' is a harsh to say the least. I am with Gold on this though, these guys are gone and it is useless talking about them.

I was under the impression that CJ was returning to fitness, and importantly wanted to be in the fold. My understanding was that he is not there at the preference of the manager/team. This is what I am questioning. If it is a personality problem then build a fecking bridge, people can say what they want about his attitude (attitude reflects leadership  :P ) but no one can doubt the boys class.

McKeever did prove he can play at this level the year Bradley arrived and they made it to the Ulster Final, but I heard he has been promoted to the Brisbane Lions senior list so he is not coming home anytime soon.

Again SS, ability and sheer power in intermediate. Not too sure if your aware of the step from intermediate club standard to senior club standard never mind from intermediate to Inter county.

Everyone always harps on about setting up good structures at underage up to senior but some things you can't teach players to do, they have to have a lot of it in them in my opinion.
Where Crookes is, there is light.

Gold

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on March 30, 2012, 10:53:19 AM
Quote from: crookes on March 30, 2012, 12:28:29 AM
Quote from: bannside on March 28, 2012, 08:20:38 AM
Sean Mc Veigh has turned into a fine player - strong, direct and as tough as boots. I think he got a chance at county level too soon. He is in his prime now, and has really blossomed into a good footballer. Think he plans to stay in UK though. Any Ballymena posters confirm this?

Sean McVeigh is not up to Inter County standard football, fair enough he played well for Ballymena in the intermediate last year but there is a massive step remember, Antrim need forwards, not more mediocre defenders/midfielders.

I don't think Antrim have or are producing prolific forwards that you see in other Ulster counties such as the Bradleys, Coulter, Jamie Clarke, Steven McDonnell, Stephen ONeill and I can go on..

Ok, so we haven't got great forwards and by the way the U21's played against Down not any real quality talent coming through, though the full forward from Creggan was very effective in Newry. What can we do to change this? Its not a new problem in Antrim. I recall Antrim v Monaghan in 1989 at Casement were we totally dominated possession put our forwards couldn't convert, i think we shot around 17/19 wides that day. What are we not doing at club level with players that could improve this?

Alot of it has to be in players. Not half enough flair about. Look at Gooch, Jamie Clarke, Bernard--tricks galore-throw a shape one way, onto other foot and over the bar etc. Our players are a bit boring
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

intheknow11

Baker aint Far away from leaving off the saffrons where he got them.. Being found out for what he is i believe.. Had a decent panel back then now its a mockery of the real talent in Antrim!!

crookes

Quote from: intheknow11 on March 31, 2012, 09:39:25 AM
Baker aint Far away from leaving off the saffrons where he got them.. Being found out for what he is i believe.. Had a decent panel back then now its a mockery of the real talent in Antrim!!

Have to totally agree with you, the year we made it the ulster final we were playing slightly better football but we got a handy run to the final meeting poor donegal/cavan and kerry teams.

I myself was surprised he stayed on this year.. Hopefully I will be proved wrong this summer in championship. An upset against Monaghan would be awesome
Where Crookes is, there is light.

DearyMe

Whats the problem with Galls players?
County champions for years and only one out field player? Sonething not right there.
Are the county trying to end their dominance?

See quite a few fellas on the panel who probably shouldn be there, mediocre club players at best.

Management need to get busy!!!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

saffron sam2

Sympathies to gaaboard poster bannside and his family on the recent death of their father.

RIP
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

bannside

Thanks for that SS2. Huge percentage of Gaels amongst the mourners. Just a reminder of how great the GAA organisation is, and the important role it has in the community.

Student Dissertation

Hi, I'm a final year student in the University of Ulster compiling my dissertation on Sports Nutrition. I'm doing a survey on the GAA.

If you could please just take two minutes to fill out the survey,it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SC5MD9F

Thanking you in advance of your co-operation.

manballandall

I think St galls dominance may continue for longer now their players are no longer with the county.

Student Dissertation

At the risk of becoming a pain.....this question was ommited by mistake.

Hi all,

Just wondering if you all could take 2 secs and answer my question on flavours of supplements!

Thanks in advance.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KFJGJ83

subterranean saffron

Antrim team v Cavan, Sunday 8 April 2012

1. William Mc Sorley

2. Patrick Gallagher
3. Deaghlan O Hagan
4. Kevin O Boyle

5. Tony Scullion
6. Justin Crozier
7. James Loughery

8. Simon Mc Donagh
9. Aodhan Gallagher

10. Conor Murray
11. Owen Gallagher
12. Martin Johnson

13. Colm Duffin
14. Michael Mc Cann
15. Mark Sweeney

Last chance saloon for a few boys before Championship and with the probability of a few more names being added to the fold before long. With that there should be more than enough pressure, which is a good thing IMO.

Having said that I would reiterate my worries from before about our forward line. Would be nice to get a win before Monaghan all the same.

Simon Says

I am completley bewildered by baker's decisions at the minute,we are struggling for scoring forwards and what does he do, brings in 4 under 21 players. All unproven??? I know young tierney from our club is a good footballer but I think its too early for him, deary me you are 100% right he needs to bring in the st galls boys mc gourtys, niblock, mc lean, kelly and so on if we want any chance of beating monaghan, there are average club players on the panel. Would be nice to get a win ahead of the monaghan game. I can't see it though. I hope baker can unearth or at least put his silly arguments with players to the side and get the best players playing for antrim as I am getting sick of paying in £11 to watch pure and utter s**t.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo and Antrim joined at the hip once again, fck sakes lads next yr ye better get promoted ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gold

Fair play to Baker. Changes worked.

Finally played Loughrey wing forward and what did we get--goals

2 for Loughrey and he made another.

Penetration in the half forward line opens up goal chances and wins games.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

subterranean saffron

I made a comment a few weeks back that we go for goals far too often, I'd like to recsind that.

Been pushing for Loughrey in half forward line for quite some time maybe not as vociferous as Gold though  ;). It was a no-brainer.

If we could now only get some of the St. Galls contingent back in starting: Brady, McClean (CHB), Niblock and somehow coerce CJ and Kelly (Still best in county IMO), we'd be nicely set up for a push at Sam.