Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Well over 24 hours after the county final and there are two posts.  :-\

I heard Dromard made Mostrim's performance in the semi final look good.

Good discussion on Off the Ball tonight on Newstalk about Slashers. The lads were astounded with the name of the club so I texted in on where they got the name from which had Ken Earley all over google finding out about the brave Myles The Slasher O'Reilly.

You had to be there, I suppose.

Has the victory parade happened yet, Forfeit? If so, did extra Gardaí need to be bussed in from Mullingar?

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 27, 2010, 11:59:20 PM

Begging pardon of Forfeit Point, but it was the worst senior county final that I can remember - the second half of the minor match was the only worthwhile football on display on Sunday.

Dromard were absolutely aimless and listless - now they'd been poor when we'd played them in the league a couple of weeks back (we won 0-12 to 0-8), but at the time I assumed they were resting; if anything they were worse on Sunday.

The amazing thing is that listless as they were, they looked in the last five minutes when they got the goal as if they just might manage to rob Slashers.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: LaurelEye on September 28, 2010, 07:00:37 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 27, 2010, 11:59:20 PM

Begging pardon of Forfeit Point, but it was the worst senior county final that I can remember - the second half of the minor match was the only worthwhile football on display on Sunday.

Dromard were absolutely aimless and listless - now they'd been poor when we'd played them in the league a couple of weeks back (we won 0-12 to 0-8), but at the time I assumed they were resting; if anything they were worse on Sunday.

The amazing thing is that listless as they were, they looked in the last five minutes when they got the goal as if they just might manage to rob Slashers.

i can well believe it. but as you know yourself when you are not impartial you can get lost in whether a game is of high quality or not. dromard were rudderless without francis mcgee, they will come back far stronger next year provided he remains injury free. for all our domination we didnt get half enough scores and it very nearly came back to haunt us at the end! niall mulligan was my man of the match although sheridan did have a good game too i must say.

the minor match was excellent i thought. the old cliche of a game of 2 halves certainly held. drumlish playing super football in the 1st half then a northern gaels takeover in the 2nd. if the game was 5 minutes longer i think northern gaels would have snatched it after being 10 points down at half time. a lot of good footballers on show there.

p.s fahy doesn't really help with matches either sure he doesn't? very frustrating man in the middle

panc56

Laois , surely we should play this one in Pearse Park. Although I doubt Laois would welcome any such move. Not a bad draw , its a while since we beat them. Leinster Final in 68?

Shamrock Shore

A great win for Wolfe Tones (aka Mostrim) to win four senior hurling titles in a row.

Ye do care, don't ye?

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 11, 2010, 01:30:39 PM
A great win for Wolfe Tones (aka Mostrim) to win four senior hurling titles in a row.

Ye do care, don't ye?

Is it us or the rest of the Edgytowns you are addressing?
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

You all  :D

The final went into extra time. The tension must have been unbelievable.

Our annual march on Leinster now commences........... ::)

Billys Boots

I see Brian Kavanagh was MOTM in the Dublin County Final - here's hoping he's still able to kick a ball come May. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Forfeit Point

awful couple of weeks there for the club. i am still stunned as to how we lost out on the league - drawing with carrickedmond!! believe it or not that has put a huge downer over the club even after the championship.

we could have taken garrycastle, certainly had the chances near the end (smith's free was extremely difficult but we had others). they were the better team but i think had it been a draw we would have taken them the 2nd day. i can't see them going any further though, way too reliant on dessie dolan. and then our u21s get hammered in the 1st round.

here's hoping the leader cup goes a bit better!!

twotwocharlie

check out www.winonehundredthousand.ie     great value for £20

potential income for any club willing to promote it in their own area.

Billys Boots

I believe North Longford has got himself a new coaching job - congrats and best of luck!  ;)

LaurelEye

Longford senior squad 2011 according to the Leader:

Shane Mahon, Colm P Smyth (Abbeylara), Gerard Farrell (Ardagh), Kevin Diffley (Ballymahon), Bernard McElvaney (Ballymore), John O'Shea (Carrickedmond), Kieran Mulvihill (Cashel), David Barden, Paul Barden, Paddy Dowd, Enda Williams (Clonguish), Noel Farrell, Declan Reilly (Colmcille), Francis McGee, Diarmuid Masterson, Damien Sheridan (Dromard), James Noonan (Fr. Manning Gaels), Thomas Gallagher (Granard), Joe McCormack, Sean McCormack, Ronan McGoldrick (Killoe), Brian Kavanagh (Kilmacud Crokes), Dermot Brady, Barry Gilleran, Paul Kelly, Niall Mulligan (Longford Slashers), Michael Victory (Mostrim), John Keegan, JJ Matthews, Donal McElligott, Kevin Mulligan, Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta), Martin Brady, James McKenna (Sean Connolly's).

Billys Boots

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 05, 2011, 03:19:53 PM
Five half-parishers, jaysus!  ;D

Gracious me, I only just noticed that...  :o

On a more reflective note, it might present us with difficulties in fielding teams for some of the Division 1 matches, when you factor in others on the under-21 and minor panels being championship-tied and fellas being away in college and/or America.

LaurelEye

Supposed team for O'Byrne Cup vs. Kildare:

James McKenna (Seán Connollys); Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Barry Gilleran (Longford Slashers), Gerard Farrell (Ardagh); Declan Reilly (Colmcille), Enda Williams (Clonguish), Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta); John Keegan (Mullinalaghta), Niall Mulligan (Longford Slashers); David Barden (Clonguish), Joe McCormack (Killoe), Paul Kelly (Longford Slashers); Seán McCormack (Killoe), Paddy Dowd (Clonguish), JJ Matthews (Mullinalaghta).

The Bull is away in the States for a few months, wee Frankie is still recuperating, and the Lost Sheep is otherwise engaged. Podgie Berry got his visa extended last month and won't be back any time soon.