Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteA bit like being Scottish and British

Not really, Scotland is actually part of Britain, so being Scottish and British is like being from Tyrone and Ulster. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain so it more a case of being both a Mayoman and an Ulsterman. The latter is not ridiculous but is unusual unless your parents came from Ulster, it would be a bit strange if your only connection with Ulster was that you were shipped to Mayo in Cromwellian times.

That said Supersub is talking nonsense, green is the colour associated with Ireland and it is very appropriate that the Irish Football Association use it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solomon Kane

Quote from: armaghniac on September 08, 2007, 02:53:51 PM
QuoteA bit like being Scottish and British

Not really, Scotland is actually part of Britain, so being Scottish and British is like being from Tyrone and Ulster. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain so it more a case of being both a Mayoman and an Ulsterman. The latter is not ridiculous but is unusual unless your parents came from Ulster, it would be a bit strange if your only connection with Ulster was that you were shipped to Mayo in Cromwellian times.

That said Supersub is talking nonsense, green is the colour associated with Ireland and it is very appropriate that the Irish Football Association use it.

A fair point, but UKish doesn't quite have the same ring to it. It could be argued that Ireland is one of the British Isles, but I can see how many would find that unnaceptable. I think it is safe to say that Irishness and Britishness are much broader concepts than many people are comfortable with. 

SuperSub

QuoteThat said Supersub is talking nonsense, green is the colour associated with Ireland and it is very appropriate that the Irish Football Association use it. 

How so compadre? I only asked a question why.. i didn't making any comments that they shouldn't be wearing green it was mearly a question
Still think its ironic though ;D

SammyG

Quote from: SuperSub on September 08, 2007, 03:41:04 PMStill think its ironic though ;D
Why is it ironic for the IRISH Football Association to play in green? What other colour would we play in?

red hander

20 more arrests today ... yep, they're doing 'our wee statelet' proud in the Baltics

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SammyG on September 08, 2007, 04:28:28 PM
Quote from: SuperSub on September 08, 2007, 03:41:04 PMStill think its ironic though ;D
Why is it ironic for the IRISH Football Association to play in green? What other colour would we play in?

Quote from: hardstation on September 08, 2007, 04:29:58 PM
Orange. ::)

And sponsored by Jaffa Cakes  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Solomon Kane

Fucked up indeed. Fair play to Latvia. They did what was asked of them.

Balboa

I think Gerry Armstrong should have got some sort of award for most biased commentary in living memory, what a f**king numpty.....

nifan

ahite game, we where all over the place.

Why the f**k did elliott start in place of brunt, thats just stupid

Bensars

;D ;D ;D ;D

what was the final arrest count ?     The best supporters alright !! ::)

stew

Sorry to hear some of the fans went buck mad, there is no call for that aul craic now.

I would say that the dream is over for the norths fans. Shame.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Deal_Me_In

What would the NI supporters consider their chances of qualifying be after saturdays result? With away games against both Sweden and Spain and also Denmark to play, they probably have the hardest run in of the 3 team with chances of qualifying

nifan

I would say that the chances of qualification are very slim, but I thought that before the latvia game.
Really we are relying on spain to slip up again, and sweden to beat the others.

I still hope we can do it, but im not confident.