Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Let's not forget that Ribery, Robben and S'stieger were all well below 100% fitness. Especially Ribery. Utd simply paid the price for fielding a team with too many average players. Gibson, Carrick, Fletcher are nowhere near the influence Keane was. Nani has 1 good game in 5. Berbatov is actually a decent player but as anyone who watched him pre-spurs could see is hugely tempremental and needs to feel he is no1. Clearly he ain't at utd.

The sending off was just that. No complaints. Fergie hates it when he has to deal with foreign refs who don't sh@te theselves at his maroon visage guldering and pointing at a watch. Notice how his premiership sideline carnival didn't manifest itself last night.

Simple fact is that utd took Bayern way too lightly until they realised they were in trouble ans then didn't have the players to dig them out. I'd say Real are gutted now that side of the draw is so open.

Fergie will rebrand that team. It's not the end as dunphy and co suggest. You must question his judgement however as many of his signings over the past 5 years are just not up to scratch. Luck for him he manages to get 1 gem - a Rooney or ronaldo. To see him through.   

Declan

QuoteSpot on about what? They ripped both teams to shite. Two teams easily in the top 5 or 6 in Europe, yet they and their best players were repeatedly derided as 'not up to it at this level'. I'd love to know where all the teams and players that are up to this level are hiding. If you paid any heed to those eejits you'd be left thinking there's one decent team in the world, Barcelona, and a pile of shit pub teams. On top of that, Barcelona only have 2 or 3 decent players, with the likes of Pique, Abidal, Pedro, Busquets, etc, also apparently 'not up to it at this level'.

With the amount of shite they pump, it's impossible for any accurately drawn conclusions to be anything other than incidental

I think their analysis of the actual game was correct - United aren't good enough compared to the standard needed to win the Champions League and have too many "average" players e.g. Carrick, Gibson, Fletcher in the midfield aren't up to the top level needed. They are right when they say Fergie doesn't trust Berba, that Nani is too inconsistent, that Rio is past is best, that Evra has been poor recently. Also Giles dismissed the comparison of Bayern to Barca and he's right, but remember he also said that Barca aren't a great team yet because of their defensive weaknesses so that that's the standards he's judging them by.

They were all fulsome in their praise for Fergie and his achievements and said as well as being one of the all time greats he has made mistakes - "like all great managers do". They questioned his decision over Tevez/Berba and said that in the current climate without finance it's impossible to build a new team. Whether or not you believe it's the end of an era is up to you but with their great players like Scholes, Giggs, etc coming to the end and no natural replacements and if they are depending on the players above I can see how they can come to that conclusion. It'll be interesting to see what happens during the summer.

Behind Dunphy's obvious bluster he can make some valid points and Giles actual analysis of what happens during the games is the best by a country mile. You mightn't like it but when he says United never "controlled" the game despite being 3 nil up he was correct. They also said that the goal at the end of the first half was crucial and that if it wasn't scored Utd could probably have hung on despite the sending off.   

If Rooney is out again it's hard to see them winning the Premier league 

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on April 08, 2010, 01:26:22 AM
one final point for tonight i thought nani played his best game in a united shirt unlucky not to get a hat trick, he worked his socks off & even defended quiet Well & he worked so hard he almost fainted at the corner flag in 2nd half

Well done Nani It was like Ronaldo never left. Sensational may your good form continue
:D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

Quote from: Bensars on April 07, 2010, 09:58:10 PM
Dunphy "United are finished. The fat lady has sung. Only one team in Manchester and they wear blue"

Dunphy is some tool alright.  Constantly comes out with crap and yet he still actually has a role on RTE to spout more crap.  For years he went on about how Ronaldo was a terrible footballer, and because of his stance he could never admit that he was actually a great player.  This year he started by saying United would not win a trophy for years, yet they won one a few months later and were in the hunt for the 2 big ones until yesterday.  He has a real fascination with Man City since their Sheikh came in, and he never refrains from praising them when in reality the Man City team comprises of a bunch of mercenaries. 

I have no real argument with the sending-off, I just think that in that situation the ref could have gave him a warning as it was not the worst challenge ever seen or was not denying Ribery a serious chance.  There were a few other incidents where Bayern players were more fortunate with regards to the ref's actions, namely the incident with Van Bommel (already on a yellow) when he blatantly pushed his elbow into Fletchers back knocking him to the ground when he was already on a yellow card. 

QuoteI think their analysis of the actual game was correct - United aren't good enough compared to the standard needed to win the Champions League and have too many "average" players e.g. Carrick, Gibson, Fletcher in the midfield aren't up to the top level needed. They are right when they say Fergie doesn't trust Berba, that Nani is too inconsistent, that Rio is past is best, that Evra has been poor recently. Also Giles dismissed the comparison of Bayern to Barca and he's right, but remember he also said that Barca aren't a great team yet because of their defensive weaknesses so that that's the standards he's judging them by.

What a load of dung.  How are United not up to the level needed?  They were the better team last night until the sending off, and what level is needed?  Two finals in a row would suggest that United are at the required level.  As for too many average players, Fletcher is not an average player.  He is a top central midfielder who has been key to United success over the past few years; it's just a case that he goes about his business in a quiet fashion.  As for Gibson, he is basically a rookie and its too early to determine what kind of career he is going to have, but so far the signs seem good with him.  Good physical player with a lethal strike of the ball, scoring quite a few times in his short professional career for United from midfield.

As for Fergies comments at the end of the match, since when has calling a team 'Typical Germans' been an offence worthy of the reaction on here? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rocky Mc Guigan

Michael Carrick- you are the weakest link- goodbye.  The left footed Brazilian twin got all the brains in that house. Why do teams not put a man on the post for corners? It's not rocket science.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2010, 08:19:39 AM

I think their analysis of the actual game was correct - United aren't good enough compared to the standard needed to win the Champions League and have too many "average" players e.g. Carrick, Gibson, Fletcher in the midfield aren't up to the top level needed. They are right when they say Fergie doesn't trust Berba, that Nani is too inconsistent, that Rio is past is best, that Evra has been poor recently. Also Giles dismissed the comparison of Bayern to Barca and he's right, but remember he also said that Barca aren't a great team yet because of their defensive weaknesses so that that's the standards he's judging them by.

They were all fulsome in their praise for Fergie and his achievements and said as well as being one of the all time greats he has made mistakes - "like all great managers do". They questioned his decision over Tevez/Berba and said that in the current climate without finance it's impossible to build a new team. Whether or not you believe it's the end of an era is up to you but with their great players like Scholes, Giggs, etc coming to the end and no natural replacements and if they are depending on the players above I can see how they can come to that conclusion. It'll be interesting to see what happens during the summer.

Behind Dunphy's obvious bluster he can make some valid points and Giles actual analysis of what happens during the games is the best by a country mile. You mightn't like it but when he says United never "controlled" the game despite being 3 nil up he was correct. They also said that the goal at the end of the first half was crucial and that if it wasn't scored Utd could probably have hung on despite the sending off.   

Dunphy didn't say Nani was inconsistent. Dunphy said he was rubbish despite scoring 2 goals and being the most dangerous forward player on the pitch in a Champions League q/final. That says it all about Dunphy's level of analysis.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Boycey

Its truly touching to watch the joy people get when United lose an important game. 7-8 pages of unbridled joy and thats before the day shift even start. Its always nice to know we mean so much to people :)

United were a bit unlucky last night but were poor last week so wouldn't have that many complaints overall. I think Vidic and probably Berbatov will move on during the summer, I've always been a huge admirer of Berba but it hasn't really worked for him at United especially since Rooney moved right up top and he's too good a player not to be playing regular football. The sale of those 2 would recoup 35-40 mill and that would be the acid test of how financially strapped United are whether or not that money makes its way into transfer kitty.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Ferguson stepped down too as the squad is aging and several players will need replacing in the short/medium term and I assuming hes not gonna be there to oversee the whole process maybe he'll feel it better to let the next man have a free run at it.

It'll be like armageddon on here if Maureen gets the job cause he'll get peoples back up more than Ferguson ;D

Keep the green and gold flag flying high.................

nrico2006

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 08, 2010, 09:30:22 AM
Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2010, 08:19:39 AM

Dunphy didn't say Nani was inconsistent. Dunphy said he was rubbish despite scoring 2 goals and being the most dangerous forward player on the pitch in a Champions League q/final. That says it all about Dunphy's level of analysis.

Dunphy also reckons Man City and Spurs will dominate the Premiership in the coming years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

This was in the Guardian the day of the first Man U-Milan match

Whatever happens in this tie it's hard to see Milan winning the competition, but then the same is true of United, for all their rousing recent form. La Liga is miles ahead. This feels a bit like two wizened old winos, trying to relive the glory days by embarking on an epic bender from midday on giro day to see who can still handle it. It doesn't matter who wins: they'll both be under a table, snoring heavily and dribbling out of at least two orifices, when the real action starts on 22 May

Even if Man U had got to the final they would have been destroyed by Barcelona.

A Quinn Martin Production

And according to Steve Rider and Andy Townsend on ITV's highlight show, had they beaten Bayern they were in the final as they only had to play Lyon in the semi-final ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Minder

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 08, 2010, 10:11:56 AM
And according to Steve Rider and Andy Townsend on ITV's highlight show, had they beaten Bayern they were in the final as they only had to play Lyon in the semi-final ::)

Heard that, their arrogance knows no bounds. The same Lyon that knocked Real Madrid out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Declan

QuoteHow are United not up to the level needed?  They were the better team last night until the sending off, and what level is needed?  Two finals in a row would suggest that United are at the required level

Judging them against the best Utd teams of the last 15 years and the current top European team(Barca) I think it's obvious that they aren't good enough.

QuoteAs for too many average players, Fletcher is not an average player.  He is a top central midfielder who has been key to United success over the past few years; it's just a case that he goes about his business in a quiet fashion.

I wouldn't classify him as a top midfield player. Yes he's a valuable member of the team and has been integral to their success and has improved since he came on the scene but for me he's not top class - See Xavi/Iniesta/Fabregas/Alonso for what I'd define as a top class midfielder. I'd put him behind Lampard and Essien as well

QuoteAs for Gibson, he is basically a rookie and its too early to determine what kind of career he is going to have, but so far the signs seem good with him.  Good physical player with a lethal strike of the ball, scoring quite a few times in his short professional career for United from midfield

I think his feet are too slow to be a classic midfielder. Takes too much time to make space and hasn't got the ability to control the tempo of a game. You're right about his shooting ability though. Think he'll make a decent career alright but just don't think he's in the class needed for a team like Utd.   

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on April 08, 2010, 09:38:41 AM
Its truly touching to watch the joy people get when United lose an important game. 7-8 pages of unbridled joy and thats before the day shift even start. Its always nice to know we mean so much to people :)

United were a bit unlucky last night but were poor last week so wouldn't have that many complaints overall. I think Vidic and probably Berbatov will move on during the summer, I've always been a huge admirer of Berba but it hasn't really worked for him at United especially since Rooney moved right up top and he's too good a player not to be playing regular football. The sale of those 2 would recoup 35-40 mill and that would be the acid test of how financially strapped United are whether or not that money makes its way into transfer kitty.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Ferguson stepped down too as the squad is aging and several players will need replacing in the short/medium term and I assuming hes not gonna be there to oversee the whole process maybe he'll feel it better to let the next man have a free run at it.

It'll be like armageddon on here if Maureen gets the job cause he'll get peoples back up more than Ferguson ;D

Keep the green and gold flag flying high.................

Good post Boycey. I think United were a bit unlucky overall but if I'm honest it would have taken a fluke of almost Liverpool proportions to win it this year with the weaknesses in the team/squad. Very annoying though that they should really have gone through but for giving away a few disgraceful goals, a harsh sending off and a bolt from the blue by Robben (for those who asked - Rafael would have been on that post if he was not sent off, do the math as the yanks say). Sometimes they say you make your own luck and I think Ferguson erred with the approach in Munich. United played negatively in an energy conserving style which backfired badly (conceded stupid late goal and still lost to Chelsea).

So on to the PL and the embers of the challenge. Must win at Blackburn and we'll see after that. Don't think Rooney is bad at all but might miss that one. The gamble worked to a point last night because United would not have got to a position of 3-0 up without him on the pitch.

Suspect Fergie may leave at the end of the season. The only person who might succeed following him is Mourinho but I'd have mixed feelings about him. I also wonder if he'd go somewhere that he wouldn't have loads of cash to play with.

Think Dunphy et al made some very valid points last night but as usual went over the top.

A Quinn Martin Production

Why didn't MU put another player on the post since they knew Rafael had been sent off??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

magpie seanie

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 08, 2010, 12:18:33 PM
Why didn't MU put another player on the post since they knew Rafael had been sent off??

You cannot put 2 players on posts when you are playing 10 v. 11. Carrick should have been closer to Robben but I can understand why he was where he was.