Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on March 15, 2010, 11:49:34 AM
Pacman was outstanding aswell tbf but i agree Clotty was very dissapointing. I really hope Floyd and Pacman can get a fight sorted sometime this year.

Lee, Duddy, Dunne, etc all very average fighters hyped up to the balls by Irish mediia. We are as bad as the English for hyping up our own!!

While true to a large extent with Duddy and Dunne, Lee is a quality boxer. The Vera fight was a complete and utter shock and while I don't think he'll ever be able to mix it with the likes of Pavlik, he's probably our best hope of a true world champion since Collins.

The Iceman

Quote from: heganboy on March 15, 2010, 12:44:55 PM
QuoteAmericans who think Corned Beef is the meat of choice in Ireland and every one has ginger hair

begorrah, seems entirely reasonable to me, and top of the morning to ya

We should write a book and dispel all the myths!

The funny thing now is that "real" Irish people are not as accepted anymore because we don't fit the stereotypical view Americans have.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aghdavoyle

Anyone know why the international between ireland and italy in belfast over the weekend was called off?

AZOffaly

The italians withdrew because their best boxer lost two bouts in a few days. They claim bias judges as their boxer 'could not lose to opponents of lower class', while the Irish claim sour grapes.

Might be a bad year for Chianti.

hassletravel

anyone hear that andrew murray was due to box in belfast shortly and if so, when?
why travel direct

Archie Mitchell

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8575568.stm

With Mayweather agreeing to this new drug testing procedure, surely it's now up to Pacquiao to agree to the same to show he's not hiding anything and give us the fight we all want to see.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on March 18, 2010, 09:20:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8575568.stm

With Mayweather agreeing to this new drug testing procedure, surely it's now up to Pacquiao to agree to the same to show he's not hiding anything and give us the fight we all want to see.

Mayweather has to beat Sugar shane first which will not be easy.  Sugar Shane is a dangerous opinion and fully believes he can beat mayweather.  Will be interesting to see what kind of gameplan Mosley goes into the fight with, wouldnt be overly surprised if he pulled off a win.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

DirtyDozen12

Very impressive display last night by Belfast boxer Martin Lindsay.  the boy has a bit of class about him, hope he can get a European title challenge shortly and then who knows after that.  With Bernard Dunne retiring he could be the next big thing in irish boxing??

QuoteMartin Lindsay retained his British featherweight title with a comprehensive points victory over Jamie Arthur in Leigh.

The Ulsterman dominated the fight from the opening bell, decking the challenger twice in the second round, as he moved a step closer to a European title challenge.

Underdog Arthur proved to be a worthy contender but his commitment and ambition was not enough to deal with the class of the champion, who will wonder how his opponent made it through the 12 rounds.

Lindsay, now 16-0, established himself in the opening three minutes but stunned Arthur in the second round with a right hand that dropped the challenger.

Arthur came back swinging but was caught again shortly afterwards by another right hook and the champion appeared to be in for a short night's work.
Reckless

Lindsay came out in the third looking to finish the job but he was perhaps more reckless than he needed to be and failed to land the killer blow.

To his credit, Arthur held his ground and continued to get his shots off, even though they rarely penetrated Lindsay's tight guard.

However, he probably took the fourth on work-rate alone as Lindsay appeared to be reverting to a different plan to get the Wales-based fighter out early.

But Arthur's method of attack became somewhat predictable and the 30-year-old didn't look like troubling the champion, despite his honest endeavour.

Lindsay enjoyed tremendous success in the seventh with great combinations that had Arthur reeling on the ropes, while two crunching left hooks later in the round left the challenger in doubt who was the boss.

By that time it was a question of whether Arthur would make it to the final bell, and in the end he deserved to do so after taking more of Lindsay's clinical combinations.

Heroic

The challenger was cut over the right eye in the penultimate round giving referee Richie Davies some cause for concern, but the heroic Arthur was allowed to hear the final bell, after which the judges gave Lindsay the win by scores of 118-108, 117-110 and 119-08.

"I always felt in control but you could see how fit Jamie was there and you could see what this meant to him," Lindsay told Sky Sports.

"I think the knockdown came a bit too soon and I started to go for the knockout, I got carried away, but I'm glad a went 12 rounds because I've been a bit inactive the last year or two.

"All credit to Jamie Arthur, he showed tremendous heart there.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Doogie Browser

I see Barney Eastwood has a book out, might be worth reading.  The man has been involved in sport for over 60 years from Tyrone Minors in 1947 right through to his boxing management career and the highs and lows of managing Barry McGuigan.  Then to cap it all Ladbrokes give him a £150m retirement cheque.

Archie Mitchell

What time is the Haye fight on?

gawa316

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on April 03, 2010, 10:11:39 PM
What time is the Haye fight on?

Thought it was supposed to be 10

http://www.atdhe.net/

gawa316

Some 1st round with Ruiz down twice, he did well to last it

glens73

Good performance by Haye, but Sky would sicken you with their glowing praise

gallsman

Comfortable Haye victory. Nasty rabbit punch he threw for the second knockdown.

Atticus_Finch

i see it has been announced that John Duddy will fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr on the 26th of June in San Antonio.

make or break time for john boy, if he ever wants to share a ring with Kelly Pavlik, he has to win.

Sure Duddy will get great support as usual but considering san antonio is so close to the mexican border and the date of the 26th of june is sandwiched by two mexican holidays i'd expect the mexicans to heavily out number the irish.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."