J OGorman

Quote from: The Iceman on January 29, 2010, 08:22:45 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 28, 2010, 10:53:22 PM
Quote from: randomtask on January 28, 2010, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 28, 2010, 10:05:27 PM
Duddy is only there to milk the Irish American money in MSG

fair f**ks to him hes makin a livin out of it, and hes is a good lad

I agree fair play to the fella.

I would agree too.  It's his job to fight where and who he is told to.  Luckily for him he makes much more money than any other boxer with his limited skills.  He will never be a world beater but will probably get paid as much if not more than someone who is.

Calling someone a poor boxer is not saying they are a bad person.  The lad just isn't all he is is made out to be in the ring.

Anyone with half a notion about boxing can see that

how in sweet jesus is he a 'poor' boxer? The chap is ranked in the top 10 with the WBO, WBC, IBF etc... where in these rankings of the best pro boxers in the world does the description 'poor' kick in?. anyone outside the top 5 pro boxers in the world? the top 3? enlighten me please

as for milking the Irish american money in the MSG...get a life!

whiskeysteve

Not sure what provoked that reaction OGorman. You could argue Duddy is a decent fighter but id hazard a guess that iceman was saying he was a poor boxer as in his boxing skills. And from that point of view he is limited.

Even in his most recent victories he has taken a lot of punishment because of his defence or lack of it. You just have to see his face after a fight. Also this is just against mediocre opposition. You would dread to see the punishment he would take from Pavlik, etc.

Regarding your point about his ranking, Duddy has fallen out of all the top 15 middleweight rankings.

In terms of his pound for pound ranking he wouldnt make top 100 in the world.No disrespect to him because he is a brave and tough fighter and is a complete gentleman. He owes his fans nothing.

As for milking the money, of course he made the majority of his money from irish-american support in MSG! Its a pro boxers job to maximise his appeal, he is making a living just as anyone else would!!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 23, 2010, 09:16:35 AM
Boxing thread has been dead for nearly a month so heres big Fraudley to liven it up with another comedy skit...

Audley Harrison sets sights on Klitschko brothers

Audley Harrison says he will target the Klitschko brothers if he manages to dethrone European heavyweight champion Albert Sosnowski in London on 9 April.

Harrison, 38, added that he is not interested in fighting WBA heavyweight champion and fellow Briton David Haye.

"No disrespect to David Haye, but no-one is talking about David Haye," said Harrison, an Olympic champion in 2000.

"They're all talking about the Klitschkos, so if I beat Albert, I want the Klitschkos."

Vitali Klitschko is the current WBC heavyweight champion, while his younger brother Wladimir owns the IBF and WBO belts. Either one is expected to fight Haye later this year if Haye defeats John Ruiz in April.

However, Harrison, who won promoter Barry Hearn's Prizefighter tournament last October to keep his career afloat, admitted that defeat to his Polish opponent at Alexandra Palace would end his career.

He said: "All I'm interested in at the moment is Albert Sosnowski and he will not give up that belt easily. The worst thing I could do is look past Albert. If I can't get past him then there's nothing in the future."

Harrison won gold in the super-heavyweight division at the Sydney Olympics, but four defeats in eight fights left his career in the balance before Prizefighter offered him a route back.

But Harrison admits he nearly walked away from the sport and almost gave up on his oft-stated dream of winning a world title.

"I have a personal mission to be a world champion. Call me delusional or crazy but I call it reality," added Harrison.

"When my contract with the BBC ended [in 2003] I lost my feel for boxing and the passion for boxing died. I left England and almost didn't want to box as I was that disheartened - you saw that in my performances.

"I was a shell and I had no desire. I was a totally broken man and it took a long time to recover from that. It took a lot of soul-searching and I asked myself what I wanted to do and I said to myself I wanted to achieve my goals.

"I had to lick my wounds and go back to the drawing board. Ability gets you to the top but character keeps you there.

"I had certain characteristic flaws but it's been part of my learning and journey. I wasn't ready to be the next Lennox Lewis in 2004 and it was almost a blessing that I lost as I had a chance to grow through adversity.

"I've been through so much in my career but I'm still here, still believing, still persevering and that's what character is. My moment of destiny is really close but I have a real obstacle in front of me.

"If he beats me to a pulp then I will know it's over. If Albert Sosnowski beats Audley Harrison fair and square then there will be no excuses as I'm 100% physically, mentally and spiritually ready to win.

"I want to get my London fans in their St George's T-shirts and I want to get nostalgic and hear chants of 'Audley', 'Audley', 'Audley'.

"I want to hear the fans of boxing, the fans of Audley, the fans of perseverance and the fans of overcoming adversity and get back to boxing."

Sosnowski, who is based in Brentwood, Essex, but originally hails from Warsaw, claimed the title with an emphatic points victory over Italian Paolo Vidoz in December.

But the 30-year-old is best known for a shock stoppage win against Harrison's long-term rival and current British champion Danny Williams in 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8528898.stm

Seen that yesterday. Wild man Audley :D :D The highlighted bit is my favourite. What's the Pole like? Does Fraudley have any chance? Is this fight on Sky?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Club Rossa

If the Pole can even lace up a pair of gloves,then Audley is in big trouble.
I shudder to think what either Klitschko would do to Harrison.

DirtyDozen12

Quiet on the Pacman / Clottey fight tonight?  Foregone conclusion for Pacman??  Clottley could cause problems, he is one big big welterweight and in my opinion was robbed of the decision against Cotto.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Paul Mc Graths Da

Manny on points for me.  He won't have the power to fell Clottey but it should be a straightforward victory due Mannys speed (foot & hand) and Clotteys 'peekaboo' defensive style.  I'm assuming Duddy is the first televised undercard fight tonight.  He'l no doubt make a meal out of a shite mexican fighter,  but it could be entertaining.  I'm looking forward to seeing Humberto Soto in the chief support fight, a class act!

DirtyDozen12

Under card fights, tasty enough looking ties:

The first of the fights will be John Duddy vs Michael Medina, this light middleweight bout sees Duddy as the strong favorite, currently he has just one loss to his record.

The next fight will be Alfonso Gomez vs Jose Luis Castillo, people may remember Alfonso Gomez from the first series of the TV Show 'The Contender', he currently holds the WBC Continental Americas Welterweight title and is the favorite for this fight, some sources are claiming that this is a title fight, however currently it is unclear.

The final undercard fight will be Humberto Soto vs David Diaz, this fight is scheduled for 12 rounds and will be for the the currently vacant WBC lightweight title, Soto is the current favorite for this fight at around 1-6, whereas Diaz is at around 4-1.

unitedireland

anyone know any internet links to free streaming?

Carmen Stateside

Middleweight John Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs) scored a workmanlike ten round split decision over Michael Medina (22-2-2, 17 KOs). Scores were 96-93, 96-93 for Duddy, 96-93 for Medina, who was deducted a point for a low blow at the end of round eight. Duddy is now in line for a showdown with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

http://atdhe.net/8921/watch-manny-pacquiao-vs-joshua-clottey

new devil

Thats duddy fighting in yankee stadium in july,on the cotti bill

DirtyDozen12

Clottey was really dissapointing Saturday night.  he definately had a bit of power behind him to hurt Pacman but he never went for it at all, very frustrating to see.  You may has well have been knocked out trying to win the fight than stand with your gloves covering your face and throwing the odd punch now and again.  Poor stuff from Clottley, made for a one sided affair.

Duddy is not that good and i reckon would get tore apart by a really world class fighter.  Why does he continue to fight nobodies??

JimStynes

Pacman was outstanding aswell tbf but i agree Clotty was very dissapointing. I really hope Floyd and Pacman can get a fight sorted sometime this year.

Lee, Duddy, Dunne, etc all very average fighters hyped up to the balls by Irish mediia. We are as bad as the English for hyping up our own!!

The Iceman

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on March 15, 2010, 11:37:06 AM

Duddy is not that good and i reckon would get tore apart by a really world class fighter.  Why does he continue to fight nobodies??

Because he is a cash cow for his promoters and fills MSG with stupid Irish (kilt wearing) Americans who think Corned Beef is the meat of choice in Ireland and every one has ginger hair
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

QuoteAmericans who think Corned Beef is the meat of choice in Ireland and every one has ginger hair

begorrah, seems entirely reasonable to me, and top of the morning to ya
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Doogie Browser

Duddy has no great power from what I can see plus he has poor defence to be a 'world chempion', he was lucky yer man did not go for broke earlier on Sat night as when he let fly in the last Duddy was under pressure.