Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Delighted for Dunne and also the people of North Clondalkin. Always felt that BD had to ko the champ, as the rule of thumb in boxing (so I am told) is that  the challenger has to be by far the best boxer on the night to get a points verdict.

ardmhachaabu08

Great for Irish Boxing that we finally have a World Champion since McGuigan. Heard Dunne in his interviewing actually thanking Kiko Martinez for stopping him back in August - was like a wake up call for him. --  Said that he was all out to prove his doubters/critics wrong and i have to admit that as a fan of Dunne, i was wary of him taking this fight on so soon after Kiko. But fair play to him, he picked himself up off the canvas in the 5th and topped off a massive day for Irish Sport....
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

ludermor

he fought Martinez in Aug 2007

Rav67

Quote from: ardmhachaabu08 on March 23, 2009, 06:32:55 PM
Great for Irish Boxing that we finally have a World Champion since McGuigan.

Steve Collins, Wayne McClullogh.......

Fair play to Bernard, would love to see him step up in class again and fight one of the very top fighters in the weight division, I think he'll go for Martinez or Munroe first though before he has a shot at one of the huge names.

ardmhachaabu08

Quote from: Rav67 on March 23, 2009, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu08 on March 23, 2009, 06:32:55 PM
Great for Irish Boxing that we finally have a World Champion since McGuigan.

Steve Collins, Wayne McClullogh.......

Fair play to Bernard, would love to see him step up in class again and fight one of the very top fighters in the weight division, I think he'll go for Martinez or Munroe first though before he has a shot at one of the huge names.

Meant to say first WBA World Champion since McGuigan
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

Hound

Fantastic fight, and well done to Bernard.

But for the cut above his eye caused by a headbutt I think Dunne would have won easier. But he was very lucky in the 5th. Five more seconds in that round and I'm sure the ref would have stopped it.

I think the ref got the stoppage spot on in the 11th. And damn glad he didnt let it go the extra second so Cordoba could have heard the bell.

Scorecards after 10 rounds:
Ted Gimza 95-92
Tom Miller 96-91
John Poturaj 97-90

All in favour of Cordoba!

Looks like pretty much every close round was awarded to the champ.

ludermor

Quote from: Hound on March 24, 2009, 08:39:38 AM

But for the cut above his eye caused by a headbutt I think Dunne would have won easier. But he was very lucky in the 5th. Five more seconds in that round and I'm sure the ref would have stopped it.

I think the ref got the stoppage spot on in the 11th. And damn glad he didnt let it go the extra second so Cordoba could have heard the bell.

Ted Gimza 95-92
Tom Miller 96-91
John Poturaj 97-90

97-90! i must have been watching another fight! It is some turnaround to some of the irish commentators who had dunne when it was stopped

Galwaybhoy

97-90
I would find that very hard to believe if it wasn't for the fact that judges can be very unpredictable, sometimes I wonder what exactly do they mark on, as sometimes the results they give are outrageous.

the Deel Rover

Fair play to Dunne great fight can't believe thats how the judges had the match scored. Went to see him in his comeback fight after the martinez defeat in castlebar and honestly didn't think he would be world champion glad he proved me wrong. Seems a likeable lad and even his attitude after matinez defeated him was great, he did an interview straight away with Marty Morrisey that night and 1st thing he did was apologise to the fans who had paid good money to watch the fight.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Ted Gimza 95-92
Tom Miller 96-91
John Poturaj 97-90

fecking hell, didnt think that anyone would have scored it as one sidedly as this
as you say, judges generally go with the champ ....imagine if Dunne didnt stop him, the kind of reaction from the crowd to that result being announced !

gallsman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 24, 2009, 10:11:50 AM

Ted Gimza 95-92
Tom Miller 96-91
John Poturaj 97-90

fecking hell, didnt think that anyone would have scored it as one sidedly as this
as you say, judges generally go with the champ ....imagine if Dunne didnt stop him, the kind of reaction from the crowd to that result being announced !

Scores seem fair to me, he was getting blitzed. Hometown decisions are much more likely than siding with the champion. Fair play to Dunne, but they ony get harder from here. Looks like his first amandatory will be against a Thai wth a 37-1 record.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: gallsman on March 24, 2009, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 24, 2009, 10:11:50 AM

Ted Gimza 95-92
Tom Miller 96-91
John Poturaj 97-90

Scores seem fair to me, he was getting blitzed. Hometown decisions are much more likely than siding with the champion. Fair play to Dunne, but they ony get harder from here. Looks like his first amandatory will be against a Thai wth a 37-1 record.
suppose I am biased alright, but I thought that cordoba was throwing a lot of punches but not getting through Dunnes guard.
Certainly trying to be as impartial as possible, thought he was two rounds ahead...
there ya go though !

gallsman

Exactly- trowing a lot of punches. Even if they're not getting through, he was still the aggressor, which by right should give hime a 10-9 round under the professionsal scoring system.

Anyway, you should be paying more attention to the big thing in waiting tat is Paul McCloskey!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: gallsman on March 24, 2009, 12:22:28 PM
Exactly- trowing a lot of punches. Even if they're not getting through, he was still the aggressor, which by right should give hime a 10-9 round under the professionsal scoring system.

Anyway, you should be paying more attention to the big thing in waiting tat is Paul McCloskey!

when did that change- it used to be scoring punches that were counted, not just throwing them (and missing) !
Or are you just saying that this is what influences judges these days ?

Am def watching MCloskey with interest, has already surprised me with his better than expected punching ability.
A few friends never miss his fights. Hope he can continue his build up and learning before maybe hitting the big time.
Thats what Steve collins did - in fact I thought he had missed the boat when he returned from america !

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'