Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 22, 2018, 06:50:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2018, 06:27:45 PM
If we had Mayo instead of Roscommon in the Super 8s there would have been some craic.
Would have been Mayo instead of Kildare though. If Galway had lost the Connacht final would they have reached the last 4 with a game to spare if they were in a group with Donegal,Tyrone and Dublin?

More games should be done before the last eight not during it. Last eight should be an old fashion knock out championship football.

Why?? Before the last 8 we've division 1 and division 4 teams in play so groups would largely be irrelevant and you'd definitely have dead rubbers. This way we have the best teams (by and large) playing each other in small groups which (as best you can) guarantees close competitive matches between teams with realistic ambitions of success. The quality of games is always going top vary in any format but at least we have potentially good games to look forward to and a fairer system for getting to an All Ireland semi final.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2018, 06:27:45 PM
If we had Mayo instead of Roscommon in the Super 8s there would have been some craic.

Oh thanks be to God we are not there! It would be an incredible waste of money and time! This process it just dragging out the inevitable.

You have 6 teams who may be on the same level. You have one a few levels below and one a few levels above. Why we need 12 games instead of 4 to tell us this is a crime!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2018, 06:46:40 PM
When is the best time to play Dublin, semi final or final? Something to ponder for Kevin Walsh?
Past years I would say the final as they haven't performed to the best of their ability in a finals since the 70s however I have a strong feeling that this year Dublin will win the All Ireland final by a bit to spare.

Zulu

Sure why don't we just hand the trophy to Dublin in January each year until you and Syferus decide someone can compete with Dublin again?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2018, 07:04:10 PM
Sure why don't we just hand the trophy to Dublin in January each year until you and Syferus decide someone can compete with Dublin again?

Well at the moment it'd be better than this dragged out rubbish!

Captain Obvious

Did my opinion hit a nerve? Tyrone and Donegal have already competed well with Dublin this year. Now yourself and Syferus probably need to get a room as it would save the rest of us reading through that tiresome bickering. 

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2018, 07:06:03 PM

Well at the moment it'd be better than this dragged out rubbish!

Errr, no it's not. Jesus wept, we've just had 3 out of 4 games be good to very good and we've football fans bemoaning the fact we've football games. Only in the GAA could that happen.

Zulu

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 22, 2018, 07:11:48 PM
Did my opinion hit a nerve? Tyrone and Donegal have already competed well with Dublin this year. Now yourself and Syferus probably need to get a room as it would save the rest of us reading through that tiresome bickering.

I wasn't responding to you. You may well be right about Dublin winning the All Ireland handy but as a supporter of football I will enjoy good games as they happen and would prefer if the doom merchants like Syferus and From the Bunker found something else to occupy their time if they feel every game is pointless because they think Dublin will win the All Ireland anyway.

From the Bunker

If Monaghan and Galway are level going into the last 10 minutes, who is to bet if one team plays keep ball the other team will say grand keep the ball for 10 minutes?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2018, 07:35:09 PM
If Monaghan and Galway are level going into the last 10 minutes, who is to bet if one team plays keep ball the other team will say grand keep the ball for 10 minutes?

I remember a few World Cup games like that back in the day.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 22, 2018, 07:37:10 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2018, 07:35:09 PM

I remember a few World Cup games like that back in the day.

West Germany/Austria 1982 world cup they played for 1-0! Ireland Holland 1990!

Zulu

Will Monaghan be happy to be playing Dublin rather than Donegal or Tyrone? I'd say Monaghan will be very keen to win and not be happy with the draw. We get this all the time from posters around here, suggest something and the worst case scenario is brought up. The super 8's have left us with three out of four games that have something to play for. Why not just enjoy the games? If they are poor spectacles go for a walk instead and if they are riveting viewing enjoy them for the bit of sporting entertainment they are.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2018, 07:41:35 PM
Will Monaghan be happy to be playing Dublin rather than Donegal or Tyrone? I'd say Monaghan will be very keen to win and not be happy with the draw. We get this all the time from posters around here, suggest something and the worst case scenario is brought up. The super 8's have left us with three out of four games that have something to play for. Why not just enjoy the games? If they are poor spectacles go for a walk instead and if they are riveting viewing enjoy them for the bit of sporting entertainment they are.

Thanks for your input, Mr. Duffy.

Zulu

I don't know whether to advise you to give up the drink or to take it up. You need something to brighten you up anyway.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2018, 09:02:19 PM
I don't know whether to advise you to give up the drink or to take it up. You need something to brighten you up anyway.

He has lost hope Zulu! One of many! Hope has gone!

Watching the games at the weekend was like watching Kilmarnock v St. Mirren and saying one of these will put it up to Celtic!