Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Oh jesus that first one was brutal those 3 on This Week gutted him like a fish . . . my favourite bit is when he says "President Trump has already told us we'll get a fantastic deal"

Jesus wept!!

tyroneman

Has Arlene ever made it through a tv soundbite without smirking?

Is it a facial tick?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Hardy on January 25, 2019, 03:02:07 PM
And, if you want to be really cruel, this.

So... my interpretation of that is that things will quickly become so, so, so bad - that we really could see a border poll and United Ireland within the next 2 or 3 years.
i usse an speelchekor

omaghjoe

Quote from: tyroneman on January 26, 2019, 09:10:50 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/john-humphrys-suggests-ireland-could-quit-eu-and-join-uk

Unbelievable....the arrogance.

Goes to show ye how far their delusions have went down the rabbit hole.

I got a few comments like this from yanks who dont really know any better (but really should!), which after a minute or two of laughing I jump down the rabbit hole with them for the craic.....

Suggesting that its a great idea and along with that sugar cane plantations in Jamacia could be established, coffee plantations in Kenya, rubber in Malaysia and tea in India all run by a new company with a royal charter that has it own private army and navy that can act with impunity against any other country that stands in the way of their and Britian's economic interests. Im sure they could find some work for those fellas in Africa too at a few of these locations.

Its about time it was said to the Brits in public. I think Barnier is the man for the job! Tho the French do have similar delusions about their empire as the Brits

Main Street

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/john-humphrys-suggests-ireland-could-quit-eu-and-join-uk

A journalist asks the question which is part of the leave argument and no matter how stupid the question is he asks it sounding as if he means it. The answer just further exposed the stupidity of the question.  Do you think Humphrys actually believes that Ireland should dump the EU and throw in their lot with the UK?.
But yeah in general the condescending and hectoring method of interviewing is repetitive and tiresome however it's not just confined to the BBC.

tyroneman

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2019, 08:17:19 AM

A journalist asks the question which is part of the leave argument and no matter how stupid the question is he asks it sounding as if he means it. The answer just further exposed the stupidity of the question.  Do you think Humphrys actually believes that Ireland should dump the EU and throw in their lot with the UK?.
But yeah in general the condescending and hectoring method of interviewing is repetitive and tiresome however it's not just confined to the BBC.

Sorry....when has Ireland joining the UK ever been part of the leave argument?

Even the North was roundly ignored until the British were told by the EU that it was actually a significant issue.

As for Humpries..he's a well known Brexiteer....did he not refer to a people's vote as 'ludicrous'...called the EU 'arrogant', asked the Swedish ambassador if he would end up speaking German, said on air "We are becoming a colony... what we're doing is kow-towing to Brussels even before they've made any demands... we're giving away everything,".....and played loose in this interview with the facts facts about the Brexit vote .....real impartial....so yeah...on balance my opinion is that he really does believe the tripe he was coming out with.

Main Street

Quote from: tyroneman on January 27, 2019, 09:06:30 AM

Even the North was roundly ignored until the British were told by the EU that it was actually a significant issue.

As for Humpries..he's a well known Brexiteer....did he not refer to a people's vote as 'ludicrous'...called the EU 'arrogant', asked the Swedish ambassador if he would end up speaking German, said on air "We are becoming a colony... what we're doing is kow-towing to Brussels even before they've made any demands... we're giving away everything,".....and played loose in this interview with the facts facts about the Brexit vote .....real impartial....so yeah...on balance my opinion is that he really does believe the tripe he was coming out with.
There's some truth in what you write, but probably unlike yourself I listen to R4 quite a bit and don't have to scoop random quotes from the internet to support an opinion. I also know someone who worked on the today team at R4 for years and reports that he is an obsessive domineering perfectionist, a pain in the ass to the nth degree. I haven't noticed a fawning tone from him towards brexiteers. I haven't known Humphrys to be anything but a rude, hectoring, condescending cxnt when interviewing anybody involved in politics and he's quite liable to spout a nonsense insulting question.
All quite different from his scripted journalism,  a current affairs commentary which is reasonably intelligent and impartial.  So no, I very much doubt he really believes Ireland could consider leaving the EU to throw in their lot with the UK in order to cement North South future relationship.

tyroneman

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2019, 05:49:57 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on January 27, 2019, 09:06:30 AM

There's some truth in what you write, but probably unlike yourself I listen to R4 quite a bit and don't have to scoop random quotes from the internet to support an opinion. I also know someone who worked on the today team at R4 for years and reports that he is an obsessive domineering perfectionist, a pain in the ass to the nth degree. I haven't noticed a fawning tone from him towards brexiteers. I haven't known Humphrys to be anything but a rude, hectoring, condescending cxnt when interviewing anybody involved in politics and he's quite liable to spout a nonsense insulting question.
All quite different from his scripted journalism,  a current affairs commentary which is reasonably intelligent and impartial.  So no, I very much doubt he really believes Ireland could consider leaving the EU to throw in their lot with the UK in order to cement North South future relationship.
[/quote

Didn't know listening to R4 'quite a bit' qualified anyone to be a towering intellectual, you live and learn.

Us mortals will just have to keep on making do with using examples to support the point being made. 

Some amount of hubris.

grounded

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47034701

So back to the EU to renegotiate and try and remove the backstop!(putting a time limit on it or any of the other fixes amounts to the same thing).
     No doubt tremendous pressure will be put to bear on Ireland to accept some sort of a fudge. In fairness Simon Coveney and Leo Varadaker have stated there can be no agreement without the backstop in ots present form. As have Junker and the eu negotiators along with most of the EU heads of nations(apart from Poland's recent input).
       You do get that sick feeling though that historically in the grand scheme of things, that the bigger countries/economies will always come up with a solution that suits them best, even if a smaller country like Ireland gets shafted.

Hound

There'd be a significant segment of the SME sector in Ireland who would be better off dumping the EU and keeping the close ties and no trade barriers with the UK. Not enough to make it better for the country as a whole of course, but I've heard IBEC say we should at least have the conversation.

Post Brexit, we're losing our best ally in the EU. There was never any chance of us being railroaded into EU tax harmonisation while the UK was at the table. With them going, there's already increased talk of Tax being decided by Qualified Majority voting rather than unanimity. If we're forced to impose CCCTB, then we definitely need to have a discussion about Irexit.

Now hopefully it won't get anywhere near that. But, with our closest ally gone, we need to build better relationships with other countries, the Scandis perhaps, to avoid France-Germany imposing their will.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: grounded on January 29, 2019, 12:25:01 AM
You do get that sick feeling though that historically in the grand scheme of things, that the bigger countries/economies will always come up with a solution that suits them best, even if a smaller country like Ireland gets shafted.

The optics of that for every country in the EU (bar maybe France, Holland and Germany) are terrible. I would doubt they will want to tread far down that path.
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

There is this idea that Ireland might get shafted to placate the UK and that may be true. But so far there's been no indication that the EU will do that. They been very consistent on the Irish backstop. Few other points, while the EU has economic powerhouses like Germany and France it is made up of lots of other smaller nations. They won't want to see the UK getting a preferential deal. The UK are leaving as Cameron promised a renegotiation and then an in out referendum. His renegotiation was a failure as the EU wouldn't give more concessions to the UK and as a result the UK choose to leave. The EU have form here.
But we'll see. 59 days to go I think...

Hound

Quote from: trailer on January 29, 2019, 08:52:14 AM
There is this idea that Ireland might get shafted to placate the UK and that may be true. But so far there's been no indication that the EU will do that. They been very consistent on the Irish backstop. Few other points, while the EU has economic powerhouses like Germany and France it is made up of lots of other smaller nations. They won't want to see the UK getting a preferential deal. The UK are leaving as Cameron promised a renegotiation and then an in out referendum. His renegotiation was a failure as the EU wouldn't give more concessions to the UK and as a result the UK choose to leave. The EU have form here.
But we'll see. 59 days to go I think...
All moot now, but in my opinion, that was one of the biggest lies of the Brexiteers and was so badly defended by Cameron in the Brexit referendum, that it has now almost become stated as a fact that he got no concessions. In my opinion, he did really well in his negotiations, all he failed to do was educate the people about what he got!

Here's what he got:

- An acknowledgement, to be incorporated into the Treaties, that the United Kingdom is not committed to further political integration into the European Union.
- Newly arrived EU migrants are banned from claiming jobseeker's allowance for three months.
- If EU migrants fail to find a job within six months they will be required to leave.
- A limit to the access of newly arriving EU workers to non-contributory in-work benefits for a total period of up to four years from the commencement of employment.
- A limit on the amount of child benefit a migrant worker can send back to his home country
- Guarantees that countries outside the eurozone will not be required to fund euro bailouts and will be reimbursed for central EU funds used to prop up the euro. 
- Agreement for the UK to take "necessary restrictive measures" against individuals deemed to represent "a genuine and serious threat" to public safety, even if they do not pose an "imminent" threat to security. Taking a suspect's "past conduct" into account could be sufficient grounds to act.

seafoid

Brexit is even worse than it looked in 2016

40 https://www.ft.com/content/29a7964c-3953-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7
The UK and, to a lesser degree, the EU are now at the beginning of an extended period of uncertainty. The Conservatives will have new leadership. Whether they will manage to produce a coherent government is another matter. They then will have to do what Brexiters failed to do during their mendacious campaign — map out a plan for unravelling the UK's connections with the EU. They broke it; they now own it. But, alas, it seems unlikely that there is any plan on which Brexiters can agree.This will probably consume the energies of that government and its successors over many years. It will also involve making some huge decisions. One point seems evident: it is now politically inevitable that the UK will have to bring in controls over immigration from the EU. That rules out what might at first glance seem the best option: membership of the European Economic Area, which would permit membership of the single market. At best, the UK might participate in a free trade area in goods. But the services, on which it depends, would be excluded from the single market.
41 the view that, beyond a lengthy period of transition, the UK will be poorer than it would otherwise have been is overwhelmingly probable. The UK did well inside the EU. It is unlikely to do as well outside it. Yet economics are just a part of what matters. The UK's decision to join the EU was taken for sound reasons. Its decision to leave was not. It is a choice to turn its back on the great effort to heal Europe's historical divisions. This is, for me, among the saddest of hours.
42 You can cite perhaps half-a-dozen explanations as to why the once-phlegmatic British voted against their own economic interests by quitting the EU. British exceptionalism, migration, a scandalously duplicitous Leave campaign, stagnant incomes and post-crash austerity are all on the list. But the thread through it all was deep disgruntlement with a political and economic system that is seen as rigged against the hard-working classes.  Friends and allies will have little sympathy. After surviving the twin crises centred on the euro and migration, Germany's Angela Merkel and France's François Hollande will not thank Britain for adding a third. Perfidious Albion has always been an awkward partner, but the Union will be weaker for the departure of such an important state.

43 Capitalism needed saving, but in bailing out the financial institutions with taxpayers' money, governments transferred the stresses from markets to politics. A return to economic growth would relieve some of the pressure. Europe in particular must understand just how politically corrosive slavish devotion to fiscal targets has become. But the politicians also must confront the excesses. If they want to save liberal democracy, they will have to reform capitalism.

44 "Markets are struggling with the incalculable and far-reaching implications of 'Brexit' for European capital flows, echoing the similar uncertainty that led to broad asset dislocation seen during the Lehman and Greece crises," said Lena Komileva at G+ Economics.
"The Brexit vote will have deep structural and financial implications for the UK and European economies, with global spillover effects."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU