Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 04, 2019, 11:30:49 AM
How can players improve if they are hamstrung by the system of play? No point blaming individual forwards when they clearly aren't coached right. Lads lose confidence. How come James Horan can put together a ramshackle forward line of young lads and a 35 Ur old and still be so slick? All down to coaching and practice on the training field.

In fairness Andy Moran is a rolls royce of a Gaelic Footballer. He was unbelievable yesturday, 1 / 2 sec take and layoffs. So intelligent. 

tyroneman

Yesterday was as depressing a match as I've seen in a long, long while.

Tyrone had no bite, no energy, not much of a plan and at no stage did they look like they could turn the game around.

Much as I believe the Team will get better as the ground dries out and the fitness program gets them ready for May / June I still believe we are miles off Dublin - and that's really the only benchmark we should be looking at.

Bar MD and NM, the rest of he team were average at best.

Playing Harte at FF is a waste. He doesn't seem to know how to play there (can't blame him for that) and is much more effective driving from deep. It's a red herring discussing his size - Andy Moran is no bigger, but leads the line really well for Mayo.

One of the Championship MF spots will be occupied by Colm Cav. I don't see anyone else staking a claim yet - not Grugan, Kennedy or McClure, so we will prob end up with Mattie D back in there.

I disagree we don't have man markers - I think Hampsey and McKernan are both capable of doing a 1-on-1 job. I don't think we have enough of them though.

Frees - Jesus wept. McCurry is not the answer. He is a streaky player - given space and time he looks the real deal - when he's tightly marked he's gone from the game. Why Brenna was not hitting the 40m and in frees is a mystery.

Basic skills were missing yesterday - Mayo defence looked like world beaters, but so would anyone is you try to play long ball in to 1 player surrounded by 3 defenders. Worse still when you kick the ball straight to the Mayo defence.

Are the players better than the system or is Harte rigidly adopting a system designed to get the best out of them - that's the million dollar question.

Anyway - well done Mayo and here's to another relegation battle - as Enda McGinley (I think) pointed out on the radio yesterday - even the great noughties Tyrone team got relegated....

clarshack

there were times in the first half when big kennedy was on the edge of the square and i don't think one direct ball was played into him, all because either harte, donnelly and sludden took too much out of the ball.

Delegater

If a inside forward is not able to kill a decent ball in then its the players fault.

There was ball kicked in to the FF line that should have been killed. Cant blame management for players having wing mirrors.

The defenders could learn from McKernan and be a bit nastier.

trailer

A lot of players need to look in the mirror. If they think they can serve up that shite in Tyrone jersey they're badly mistaken. As poor a performance as I can remember. You can forgive a lack of ability, but when they down tools and stop trying they can f**k right off.

clarshack

Quote from: tyroneman on February 04, 2019, 11:38:29 AM
Anyway - well done Mayo and here's to another relegation battle - as Enda McGinley (I think) pointed out on the radio yesterday - even the great noughties Tyrone team got relegated....

The great Tyrone team didn't get relegated until 2010 when they were coming near the end.

GetOverTheBar

Tyrone had no bite, no energy, not much of a plan and at no stage did they look like they could turn the game around.

Much as I believe the Team will get better as the ground dries out and the fitness program gets them ready for May / June I still believe we are miles off Dublin - and that's really the only benchmark we should be looking at.

Playing Harte at FF is a waste. He doesn't seem to know how to play there (can't blame him for that) and is much more effective driving from deep. It's a red herring discussing his size - Andy Moran is no bigger, but leads the line really well for Mayo.

One of the Championship MF spots will be occupied by Colm Cav. I don't see anyone else staking a claim yet - not Grugan, Kennedy or McClure, so we will prob end up with Mattie D back in there.

I disagree we don't have man markers - I think Hampsey and McKernan are both capable of doing a 1-on-1 job. I don't think we have enough of them though.

Frees - Jesus wept. McCurry is not the answer. He is a streaky player - given space and time he looks the real deal - when he's tightly marked he's gone from the game. Why Brenna was not hitting the 40m and in frees is a mystery.

Basic skills were missing yesterday - Mayo defence looked like world beaters, but so would anyone is you try to play long ball in to 1 player surrounded by 3 defenders. Worse still when you kick the ball straight to the Mayo defence.

Are the players better than the system or is Harte rigidly adopting a system designed to get the best out of them - that's the million dollar question.

Lee Brennan never touched leather the whole time he was on. At least McCurry got on to a few passes and made a few runs.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2019, 12:00:59 PM

Lee Brennan never touched leather the whole time he was on. At least McCurry got on to a few passes and made a few runs.

Lee scored two points from play... The first after he took a great mark. Apart from that, his problem yesterday was he was playing too far from goal

Jeremiah O

Depressing stuff altogether yesterday.
I don't like to single out individual players for criticism as I wasn't up to much in my own playing days.I couldn't have kicked praties from a Sow.But I would be extremely worried with a lot of what I saw yesterday.
Unconquered and unconquerable

Onthe40

listen its early days, and we've all saw Mayo scrape to stay in div1 in recent years and end up nearly winning the AI...however what was alarming yesterday was Tyrones ability after about 10mins to even make a real go of it and drive at mayo..we were waiting for a comeback that was never really gonna happen...  Roscommon has become a massive game now

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 04, 2019, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2019, 12:00:59 PM

Lee scored two points from play... The first after he took a great mark. Apart from that, his problem yesterday was he was playing too far from goal

Yeah fair enough - look they are both inside forwards. The problem yesturday was the middle 8 was completely dominated. Did one Tyrone man win their battle there? I would be hard pressed to make a case for any of them.

tyrone08

While it is very early days yet the signs are great for Tyrone. I believed last year we had an easy path to the final which glossed over the issues. We wont get anywhere near it this year if we meet any of the top 4 teams.

Still cant believe we are starting this year with the same issues as the last 5 years. No class forwards, no free taker etc.

On a separate note is this hartes last year in terms of contract?

RedHand88

I'm fairly sure he has one year after this

deadman

The free taking issue still very much at large, we are still searching for a consistent kicker after five or six seasons at this stage. Meanwhile there's Conor Cox scoring five frees on his Roscommon debut against Monaghan, including a few classy scores from the left wing off the outside of the right

RedHand88

Tyrone best forward yesterday was Niall Morgan.