Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Hurling is a more skilful game than Gaelic football.

That point's not even up for debate.

If only you could see the ball.

ballela-angel

Started out playing football, then turned to hurling - After playing hurling for a while I mixed it with some football, mostly 7-aside and found that I had no fear at all of going in to block a kick and I was also very sure-handed when catching high balls above my head - Both talents I believe came from playing hurling- I wonder if anyone else had this experience
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Syferus

There's nothing as skilful as a bullock run up the field in football, lads.

laoislad

Quote from: Sidney on August 12, 2013, 02:40:47 AM
Hurling is a more skilful game than Gaelic football.

That point's not even up for debate.

Of course it's not up for debate but it's always funny to hear lads try and tell you otherwise.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

Cricket is more skilful than handball too. But handball beats poker and swimming every time. Snooker vs. golf - that's still up for debate.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

I've never even seen a bog.

(But hurling puts it in the shade.)

Jonah

I can't understand the need for a debate like this anyway.
Hurling and football only supporters are as bad as each other anyway not that they would ever admit it.You have hurling lads having a go at football when there is a good game and telling us all how it's so much better and you have football lads having a go at the Premier League and how Gaelic is so superior to soccer every other day. Load of bullshit the lot of it.

I love sport in general and wouldn't consider myself hurling or football.
I don't understand this notion as someone said earlier that they would rather watch a bad football game than a good hurling one(or vice versa) I would rather watch a good soccer game than a bad football one,or a good football game than a bad hurling game and so on. When I watch sport I want to be entertained I don't see the need to try and defend a particular sport so much that I'd say I would rather watch a bad game of it rather than admitting to enjoying a different sport.

Yesterday was a wonderful game of hurling and it was a breath of fresh air after all the negativity surrounding the football over the last few weeks. I don't see how someone can say it was a half decent game of hurling  ::) It was a superb game and we should just see it as that and not that hurling is better than football but that yesterday was a brilliant GAA match.
Yes the hurling championship has imo being excellent this year and the football has yet to really ignite but let's just enjoy both for what they are and not worry about which is better. Those two teams yesterday were a credit to the GAA and their respective counties.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 08:32:34 AM
Snooker vs. golf - that's still up for debate.

Sports whose participants generally hail from very different socio-economic backgrounds, yet where even professionals will routinely call fouls against themselves. Fascinating.

What was the question again?

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2013, 09:01:03 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 08:32:34 AM
Snooker vs. golf - that's still up for debate.

Sports whose participants generally hail from very different socio-economic backgrounds, yet where even professionals will routinely call fouls against themselves. Fascinating.

What was the question again?

It was a statement: "Hurling is a more skilful game than Gaelic football."

Anyway - croquet anybody?

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 09:13:45 AM
It was a statement: "Hurling is a more skilful game than Gaelic football."

Anyway - croquet anybody?

Oh right. Yes, croquet sounds delightful, especially when fuelled by Pimms.

ONeill

Quote from: Jonah on August 12, 2013, 09:00:45 AM

95% aren't being serious.

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2013, 09:27:47 AM
Quote from: Jonah on August 12, 2013, 09:00:45 AM

95% aren't being serious.

95% don't start out as serious. But then someone presses a sore spot...

ONeill

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2013, 09:34:42 AM

95% don't start out as serious. But then someone presses a sore spot...

Only a dimwit would declare one game is better than another or the greatest.

You might have a personal preference as you would in beer or women or men.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: DJGaliv on August 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM
Isn't hurling great?
Few men can master the stick work (niche sport in 10 counties or when sliothar is on the floor an arse measuring contest), majestic physicality, passion (pulling across a mans chest) and drama (shockingly inconsistent refereeing with no defined tackle as in gaelic football).  To be honest I don't know which side I believe.

Lets not analyse it too much or point at the flaws. You rarely hear the self reflection in the analysis of a hurling game. Is that a lesson for Gaelic football?
However the constant screaming of hurling fans about how great it is tells me the lady doth protest too much. The game is spun by lads that want to spread the gospel of hurling. Cyril Farrell and Ger Loughnane - great hurling men. When have you heard anyone called a great football man?

Today there was plenty of short passing, Cork player going down fairly easily clutching his face through his helmet to get the Dublin lad his second yellow, and terrible inconsistent refereeing. You want to talk about defining the tackle in Gaelic football? Give my head peace.

But hey, what a game.

For me it's like the stupid hot hairdresser you see. I wouldn't never leave my beautiful intelligent wife (gaelic football) for her, but there's an odd night you'd be tempted to book a hotel room.

As I said, hurling - isn't it great, but let's not scratch beneath the surface too much.

That was a great post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.