Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

There must be nearly 10 clubs within a 5 mile radius around Lurgan.

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on March 30, 2018, 09:55:31 PM
I wouldn't see Lurgan as a soccer town. There is a massive interest in Gaelic football as far as I remember. Maybe in the 80s and before that it was different but in my lifetime it's always been about Gaelic football. Lots of boys play soccer too but gaelic is their first pick!

There's a lot of soccer in Lurgan. Some GAA lads play it to keep fit until the GAA starts back but a lot wouldn't be seen near a GAA club. And that's just the catholic teams

JimStynes

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 31, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 30, 2018, 09:55:31 PM
I wouldn't see Lurgan as a soccer town. There is a massive interest in Gaelic football as far as I remember. Maybe in the 80s and before that it was different but in my lifetime it's always been about Gaelic football. Lots of boys play soccer too but gaelic is their first pick!

There's a lot of soccer in Lurgan. Some GAA lads play it to keep fit until the GAA starts back but a lot wouldn't be seen near a GAA club. And that's just the catholic teams

Is that not the same as all towns? St. Michael's didnt even have a soccer team when I went there.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 31, 2018, 09:56:17 AM
Five clubs In one town tells me there are some argumentative hoors in Lurgan! ;)

St Enda's, Killyclogher, Drumragh, Tattyreagh from a much smaller town?

JimStynes

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 09:22:39 AM
Five clubs In one town tells me there are some argumentative hoors in Lurgan! ;)

They're not all in the town.

nrico2006

Are there not 6 in Lurgan?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

In the town itself:
Clann Eireann
St Paul's
St Peter's
Clan Na Gael
Eire Og
Sean Tracey's (Hurling)

The other clubs 2/3 mile away would be:
Wolfe Tones
Sarsfields
St Michael's Magheralin
St Mary's Aghagallon

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: JimStynes on April 03, 2018, 01:31:02 PM

They all draw out of the same pool.  St Enda's take players from all of the areas of all of the others, not by mutual consent and include players already with those clubs at all ages levels.  They even took over the parish pitch when Drumragh finished their own ground and hadn't actually handed it back to the parish.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 05:28:18 PM

They all draw out of the same pool.  St Enda's take players from all of the areas of all of the others, not by mutual consent and include players already with those clubs at all ages levels.  They even took over the parish pitch when Drumragh finished their own ground and hadn't actually handed it back to the parish.

That's a gross exaggeration/simplification.

JimStynes

If that's the case then Lurgan has 10 clubs as they all take from the same pool.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: oakleafgael on April 03, 2018, 05:32:48 PM

Are you saying it's not true?  If so which part?

oakleafgael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on April 03, 2018, 05:32:48 PM

Are you saying it's not true?  If so which part?

That St Enda's take players from all of the areas of all of the others.

Owen Brannigan

Taking only the senior team over the last 3/4 years of their recent successes built on the underage teams over the previous 6/8 years. So, the former Tattyreagh players don't count?  The Killyclogher residents don't count?  Drumragh parishioners don't count?

oakleafgael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 05:58:48 PM
Taking only the senior team over the last 3/4 years of their recent successes built on the underage teams over the previous 6/8 years. So, the former Tattyreagh players don't count?  The Killyclogher residents don't count?  Drumragh parishioners don't count?

What players from the heart of Tattyreagh play for Omagh Seniors? Killyclogher and Omagh town have effectively merged and family ties are more important as to where players play when considering those two. Are St Endas, Drumragh and Tattyreagh not all in Drumragh parish so I don't get the Drumragh parishioners reference? I have a full list of all club transfers in Tyrone over the last number of years, I wouldn't class any of the transfers between any of the clubs as particularly controversial. 

Eamonnca1

That's the truth! At one point there was even three cycling clubs. I think it's 2 now (unless Lurgan Road Club is still around).