FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 06, 2021, 05:45:56 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on September 06, 2021, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 05, 2021, 09:07:10 AM
I think Kelleher is the best goalie we have at the moment.

How have you come to that conclusion?

From watching Kelleher play for Liverpool a few times. Bazunu is good at the old penaties but overall I think Kelleher is ahead at this point in time.
let me guess, you are a Liverpool fan?

red hander

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 06, 2021, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: general on September 06, 2021, 03:46:12 PM
Is the bars open at the Aviva for the soccer? Group of us going tomorrow night

I don't think so

They're not. Was down on Saturday. Back down tomorrow (for my sins). Pubs were wild quiet for a Saturday.

Cavan19

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 06, 2021, 05:45:56 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on September 06, 2021, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 05, 2021, 09:07:10 AM
I think Kelleher is the best goalie we have at the moment.

How have you come to that conclusion?

From watching Kelleher play for Liverpool a few times. Bazunu is good at the old penaties but overall I think Kelleher is ahead at this point in time.

Kelleher has only played a handful of games and won't see much game time this year either. He probably should have looked for a loan move this season.  I don't think you have seen enough of either to say that Kelleher is better.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2021, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2021, 11:29:02 AM
So when all this started and Kenny got the job we were all excited about Bazunu, Kelleher, Connolly, Parrott. Idah, Knight and more. That's not even including the likes of Omobamidele and Collins at the back...
Now the system that produced all those lads is shite and the reason we can't play is that we have no players and there is nothing Kenny can do about it...so the FAI need to build an academy system (which they do!)
Our U17s also beat Mexico and there are some good players there, again in the system that is not fit for purpose...

We are playing progressive football but I saw a stat that we swung 30 crosses into the box in the second half alone that last day...a big Shane Duffy header salvages a point.

We did very well v Portugal and then he changes the formation and brings in McClean and drops McGrath. He sticks with three at the back and drops Omobamidele...

I am north anti-Kenny and I do think we are a bad team at the moment but he can't be absolved for some strange calls. If we stuck with 5-3-2 with wing backs and had Hourihane in with McGrath and Cullen we would got more control.
Troy Parrot is always poor when he pushed out wide IMO.

And it doesn't have to be an extreme of going from a progressive manager to Pulis or Big Sam but like surely questions are allowed to be asked. It's either knives out or defend the manager no matter what these days.

If we don't get some performances before the end of the campaign how can he go on?

I think you can certainly question his tactics and selection. The problem i see here is people who clearly know nothing about soccer other than sitting on their holes roaring at Man Utd or Liverpool on tv every week, coming on and somehow expecting Ireland to be going to Portugal and winning and when they dont its the managers fault.
I agree.Relative consistency under McCarthy masked a lot of problems.
Chickens have been roosting in the last third in recent matches.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2021, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2021, 11:29:02 AM
So when all this started and Kenny got the job we were all excited about Bazunu, Kelleher, Connolly, Parrott. Idah, Knight and more. That's not even including the likes of Omobamidele and Collins at the back...
Now the system that produced all those lads is shite and the reason we can't play is that we have no players and there is nothing Kenny can do about it...so the FAI need to build an academy system (which they do!)
Our U17s also beat Mexico and there are some good players there, again in the system that is not fit for purpose...

We are playing progressive football but I saw a stat that we swung 30 crosses into the box in the second half alone that last day...a big Shane Duffy header salvages a point.

We did very well v Portugal and then he changes the formation and brings in McClean and drops McGrath. He sticks with three at the back and drops Omobamidele...

I am north anti-Kenny and I do think we are a bad team at the moment but he can't be absolved for some strange calls. If we stuck with 5-3-2 with wing backs and had Hourihane in with McGrath and Cullen we would got more control.
Troy Parrot is always poor when he pushed out wide IMO.

And it doesn't have to be an extreme of going from a progressive manager to Pulis or Big Sam but like surely questions are allowed to be asked. It's either knives out or defend the manager no matter what these days.

If we don't get some performances before the end of the campaign how can he go on?

I think you can certainly question his tactics and selection. The problem i see here is people who clearly know nothing about soccer other than sitting on their holes roaring at Man Utd or Liverpool on tv every week, coming on and somehow expecting Ireland to be going to Portugal and winning and when they dont its the managers fault.

It's worse. They sit on a barstool cheering random foreign clubs and wonder why the island has one full time acadamy.

21,000 at the game, the first major non GAA sporting event in 18 months.

If Irish fans won't get off their holes the FAI haven't the money to invest, which means the FAI haven't the money to invest, which meams the team remain poor.

The best fans in the world (tm) are great craic at tournaments but aren't really arsed with the tedium of games in Dublin.

NAG1

The country IS one full time academy for those EPL and Championship clubs.

Problem being that instead of pulling young players in from local nations, these clubs are scouring the globe for youngsters to enter their academies.

If your whole system is based around getting players into these clubs and academy structures then when it goes the way it has done then there isn't much need for an explanation of the drop in quality we have seen over the past number of years.

tiempo

Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

qubdub

The reality with international football is that unless you are England, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy etc etc then you can't just decide that you're going to change your "philosophy" and start "playing football" and that managers need time to bed in and implement said "philosophy".

A load of ballex. International football is about getting results. It's a series of one-off games. Countries like Ireland don't have the luxury of calling up x y and z who will slot in nicely whenever their star players are injured. We have a limited pool to choose from and any number of players could be absent which on any given day could fück up the chances of qualifying for a major tournament. A good manager sets the team up to get a result. Trap, McCarthy x2 MON might not have played nice football nor had any intention of it. But they got results. If qualifying means parking the bus and hoofing it then give me that any day over finishing bottom without a whimper under a new "philosophy".

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 07, 2021, 11:11:56 AM
The country IS one full time academy for those EPL and Championship clubs.

Problem being that instead of pulling young players in from local nations, these clubs are scouring the globe for youngsters to enter their academies.

If your whole system is based around getting players into these clubs and academy structures then when it goes the way it has done then there isn't much need for an explanation of the drop in quality we have seen over the past number of years.

You do understand kids cannot go to England anymore? That the FAI has been working away to deal with that reality?

Itchy

Genuine question

I say yes

If they parked  the bus they might get a 0 - 0 draw, but most likely they would be soundly beaten. Luxemborg are no mugs anymore.

Do you remember what happened Conor McGregor when he thought he was a professional boxer and fought retired Floyd Mayweather, he couldnt even lay a glove on him  ;D

tiempo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 12:29:17 PM
Genuine question

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Ireland's GAA stars routinely beat Australia's AFL stars

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Genuine question

I say yes

an aussie rules game would be interesting  ::)

Baile Brigín 2

Genuine question

I say yes

Not in Aussie Rules....

tiempo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Genuine question

I say yes

Not in Aussie Rules....

I stand by my point. Kevin Moran, Seamus Coleman and scores of others went abroad with a GAA background and made the top level. GAA lads are going to Aus and making the top level. The Dubs would punish the Lux'burgers, to suggest otherwise is silly