FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

At least we got through anyway. And a tyrone man on the scoresheet.

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 08, 2020, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on October 08, 2020, 10:55:40 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 08, 2020, 07:11:11 PM
Connolly and Idah not on the bench.
Any one hear a  rumor  that  Aaron Connelly and Adam  Idah  were not included  because some mess up from The FAI not submitting the team properly on  UEFA system apparently  not including   the 1st two names on the list

Bullshit story apparently
The real story is nearly as odd.

On the flight over, they were sitting 1.7m and 1.9m from the official who tested positive. As they'd spent that more than 2 hours within 2m of him they were regarded as close contacts and had to isolate. Kenny said the UK's rules aren't as strict, but they double checked with the HSE who confirmed the lads could not play.

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 09, 2020, 08:00:46 AM
Tyrone don't have forwards either

BennyCake

And Dallas on target in the shootout. Sure isn't he an Ardboe man? ;)

magpie seanie

Pretty astounded at some of the negativity here. That was a pretty good performance by Ireland and certainly the most attractive style I've seen in a seriously long time. Slovakia aren't a top tier side but they're no mugs and we were just the better side I felt. Not by a lot but certainly after Kenny made the switches we got better and better. Yes - they were missing a couple of players but we were missing Coleman and who knows whether Idah or Connolly could have nicked a goal in the last 20 minutes if they were available. Seems some have made their minds up about Kenny already which I don't understand. When he was appointed I had my doubts - saw it as the FAI trying the curry favour with the "grass roots" after all the crap that has gone on and I'm still not convinced. That's not to say he can't get a tune out of the players and last night was very much evidence in Kenny's favour. I really find it hard to see how anyone could think McCarthy would have done better.

Anyway - I'm glad that I'll look forward to the next Ireland game. For too long in my mind there's been a sense of dread as they approach and I don't think i'm alone in that. Part of that is the emergence of some good young talent but nice to see good, crisp passing last night. Need to develop a cutting edge. For all the brilliant work McGoldrick does (and some of it is really, really good) he just doesn't score. And sometimes in attacking areas we are a little too conservative in general. Thought O'Dowda was an exception when he came in.....really tricky player who I might have underrated.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyCake on October 09, 2020, 08:53:13 AM

And Dallas on target in the shootout. Sure isn't he an Ardboe man? ;)

Not sure if hes the boe or moortown.

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on October 09, 2020, 08:09:40 AM
Any one hear a  rumor  that  Aaron Connelly and Adam  Idah  were not included  because some mess up from The FAI not submitting the team properly on  UEFA system apparently  not including   the 1st two names on the list

On the flight over, they were sitting 1.7m and 1.9m from the official who tested positive. As they'd spent that more than 2 hours within 2m of him they were regarded as close contacts and had to isolate. Kenny said the UK's rules aren't as strict, but they double checked with the HSE who confirmed the lads could not play.

Were they sitting in alphabetical order?

seafoid

How could they win anyway wearing Kildare jerseys ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on October 09, 2020, 08:09:40 AM

On a plane for 2 hours I hardly think 30cm or 10cm will make any difference. Daft. Hope all that travelled are ok.

tintin25

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2020, 09:18:17 AM
Pretty astounded at some of the negativity here. That was a pretty good performance by Ireland and certainly the most attractive style I've seen in a seriously long time. Slovakia aren't a top tier side but they're no mugs and we were just the better side I felt. Not by a lot but certainly after Kenny made the switches we got better and better. Yes - they were missing a couple of players but we were missing Coleman and who knows whether Idah or Connolly could have nicked a goal in the last 20 minutes if they were available. Seems some have made their minds up about Kenny already which I don't understand. When he was appointed I had my doubts - saw it as the FAI trying the curry favour with the "grass roots" after all the crap that has gone on and I'm still not convinced. That's not to say he can't get a tune out of the players and last night was very much evidence in Kenny's favour. I really find it hard to see how anyone could think McCarthy would have done better.

Anyway - I'm glad that I'll look forward to the next Ireland game. For too long in my mind there's been a sense of dread as they approach and I don't think i'm alone in that. Part of that is the emergence of some good young talent but nice to see good, crisp passing last night. Need to develop a cutting edge. For all the brilliant work McGoldrick does (and some of it is really, really good) he just doesn't score. And sometimes in attacking areas we are a little too conservative in general. Thought O'Dowda was an exception when he came in.....really tricky player who I might have underrated.

This.  Look how Michael O'Neill got NI playing and can you honestly say they had anything better at their disposal?  It takes abit of time, judge Kenny after the next qualifying campaign.

square_ball

Quote from: tintin25 on October 09, 2020, 11:57:57 AM

This.  Look how Michael O'Neill got NI playing and can you honestly say they had anything better at their disposal?  It takes abit of time, judge Kenny after the next qualifying campaign.

Plus it took Michael O'Neill to his tenth match to get his first victory for NI. And his reign didn't turn out too badly.

weareros

I suppose it's no point crying over spilt milk, but it's a shame we lost Jack Grealish. I do think both Martin and Roy handled those situations poorly. They were both brilliant footballers themselves but man-management skills very poor and when Roy had a cut at his father, it was curtains. But Grealish even as an U21 was still better than any of the players we used on the left hand side. I don't think Rice was a huge loss. He is a pass sideways merchant and we have a few of those. While people laud the passing game, the way Ireland do it is mostly safe passing without any real penetration. It was only when O'Dowda and McGoldrick ran at Slovakia that we caused our only two real goal chances. Grealish is one of those players. And hopefully we can find some more Damien Duff types in the future. If we can qualify for WC, the Euros will be well forgotten. But at the same time, this was an expanded Euro championship that Ireland actually proposed and we still can't qualify.

An Watcher

When you think back to 88,only 8 teams qualified for the euros. How far away from that are we now? Is it now 24 teams? Far too many. 16 is perfect.
While it was disappointing last night I do feel there is hope out there. A few good players coming through, kennys style of football and a solid defence

Ed Ricketts

Looking to the future, these Nations League games coming up have a wee bit riding on them.

On a basic level, Kenny probably needs a result or two to settle the ship. But beyond that there are implications for the World Cup qualifying campaign.

The qualifier draw is due to go ahead in December, and the seeding will be based on the world rankings at that stage. Currently Ireland are 22nd in Europe, which makes us a third seed. Two or three good results in the Nations League could push us into the top 20 and into the second seed pot, which might make qualification look a bit easier. There are also a couple of playoff spots available at the end of qualification for the best performing teams in the Nations League that don't finish in the top 2 of their World Cup qualifying group.

The first two Nations League games this year had a bit of a Friendly vibe to them, hopefully the rest are taken a bit more seriously.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on October 09, 2020, 03:53:17 PM
When you think back to 88,only 8 teams qualified for the euros. How far away from that are we now? Is it now 24 teams? Far too many. 16 is perfect.
While it was disappointing last night I do feel there is hope out there. A few good players coming through, kennys style of football and a solid defence

8 teams then, qualified... 24 teams now, can't even get to playoff final!  Why has every other 'small nations' standards improved while Ireland's has dropped? Ireland not alone of course Scotland hadn't made much headway either during those periods
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea