FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Just saw the interview. . . f**k Tony O'Donoghue. It's all well and good saying we should have done this and should have done that but managing at that level is not easy and who are Ireland going to get in to do a better job than O'Neill??

I thought O'Neill handled him perfectly he's at that shit all the time trying to get one over on O'Neill and make him look like he hasn't a clue. Who has Tony O'Donoghue managed?!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2017, 08:52:05 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2017, 11:22:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:14:56 PM
I think the RTE panel, overall, called it correctly.

Very poor individual performances, but at half time we're 1-2 down. We have 45 minutes to score two goals and concede none.

Would anybody on the board have put out a midfield of Brady & Hendrick sitting deep, McClean and Hoolahan occupying the same position centrally and McGeady on the wing? I'm genuinely wondering. Maybe I didn't see it properly and the positions were different, but they were the players playing across our midfield.

We might have lost by four goals regardless. But does anyone think that that was the way to go about winning the game?

Was it not working up until they scored 2 in 3 mins? Sloppy defending but of course that was MON's fault!

Seems most people would prefer a gun ho swashbuckling style of football!! Attack attack exciting! Well that's what happens when a limited team tries to win games! They get dicked, Martin is working with limited players, it's simple make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break..
It's very difficult to discuss or debate with you. Who asked for anything swashbuckling? This thread is full of comments like this. Barcelona get mentioned. Who ever said we should play like Barcelona?

To answer your question, if it is a serious question, it was never working; we were opened up before the goal. What exactly "it" was is what I was querying. What system were they sent out to play in the second half? Was Brady playing a defensive midfield role? If so, do you, or anyone, think that was a good move? Where was McClean supposed to be playing?

The irony is that I think he was too swashbuckling, as you put it, so did Hamann, Brady and Dunphy. Changes were needed for sure. But to empty the position that the opposition's danger man occupies makes no sense to me.

So instead of typing a general reply such as the one you did, why don't you address the questions I've asked? Or maybe you actually do believe that it's a case of "make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break.."?

When they score 2 goals in 3 minutes in a playoff, meaning you have to score 2 minimum to win the game then you have to go all out, he'd no choice as his defenders couldn't defend, couldn't pick up loose players.

Yes and I believe it is a case when you have a very limited team to make yourself difficult to break be strong in the back and work very hard on counter attacking and set pieces...If you believe that Ireland have players in that whole squad that could compete on a one to one with most Euro teams then you are mistaken, they don't.. play to your strengths.. keep the system for all your games home away, never going to win the World cup but to get to the finals is the prize, the money can then be put into the development of the youth systems around the country, thats the real prize..

sorry if thats a general reply as yours wouldnt have made a difference whatever the set up would have been in the second half
My what wouldn't have a difference?

At least this time you've stated your opinion rather than talking about swashbuckling. What has two goals in three minutes have to do with anything? We needed two goals in 45 minutes. That was the position he founds himself in. He also needed not to concede any more goals.

As Hamann said afterwards last night, you need to stay in the game, even up to the 80th minute. You get one goal back and then you can throw caution to the wind. To abandon the system that he's employed the whole campaign in search of two goals and expect it to work is madness in my opinion.

As I said though, I don't mind you having that view. Just cut out the bull about what other people are saying when nobody is saying it.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 08:07:46 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM
As long as the aspiration of Irish clubs is to flog players to the U.K. things won't change. Players brought up in the culture of Saville Ajax Feyenoord will always beat the players from Bristol Burnley etc
;D ;D ;D ;D
Corrected! Jim will fix it for you
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Maroon Manc

Very odd tactics from MON, from very early on you could see the Danes had far too much space in the final 3rd. Ireland committed far too many players forwards towards the press and it left space all over the pitch. The first goal was a huge blow but it was inevitable anyway given the way Ireland had set up. I'm just amazed Ireland set up like that, it played into their hands as they had the only top class player on the pitch and he caused havoc.

Ireland have no quality in the final 3rd, none at all. Even Iceland have Sigurdson, Ireland don't have a player anyway hear his level and until that changes its going to be extremely difficult to qualify for a world cup.

We have a team of average premiership players at best with several of them not any better than players who play in the top half of the championship.

Declan

My understanding (and experience) is that the better grassroots clubs are going for it full-throttle - progressive clubs have been crying out for it, really.  I'm going back to do one of the new courses myself in the coming months, so I'll have a better idea of where coaching is going. 

I think the new approach is very different to the Kerr curriculum, but Kerr was an excellent coach and a good man-manager.  A man (and a manager) in a million, but the type of development coach we need to be bringing through. 

The Dutch will come again - they are far too reliant on aging coaches and aging systems as it stands.  They'll be back, because they're smart.

Agreed re PDP and the long term vision - future is not that bad. Last night was a bad one - memories of Eoin Hand's last game in charge against Denmark come to mind and we all know what happened after that ;)

From what I hear DOB has already agreed to MON staying on and deal is done

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2017, 09:44:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2017, 08:52:05 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2017, 11:22:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:14:56 PM
I think the RTE panel, overall, called it correctly.

Very poor individual performances, but at half time we're 1-2 down. We have 45 minutes to score two goals and concede none.

Would anybody on the board have put out a midfield of Brady & Hendrick sitting deep, McClean and Hoolahan occupying the same position centrally and McGeady on the wing? I'm genuinely wondering. Maybe I didn't see it properly and the positions were different, but they were the players playing across our midfield.

We might have lost by four goals regardless. But does anyone think that that was the way to go about winning the game?

Was it not working up until they scored 2 in 3 mins? Sloppy defending but of course that was MON's fault!

Seems most people would prefer a gun ho swashbuckling style of football!! Attack attack exciting! Well that's what happens when a limited team tries to win games! They get dicked, Martin is working with limited players, it's simple make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break..
It's very difficult to discuss or debate with you. Who asked for anything swashbuckling? This thread is full of comments like this. Barcelona get mentioned. Who ever said we should play like Barcelona?

To answer your question, if it is a serious question, it was never working; we were opened up before the goal. What exactly "it" was is what I was querying. What system were they sent out to play in the second half? Was Brady playing a defensive midfield role? If so, do you, or anyone, think that was a good move? Where was McClean supposed to be playing?

The irony is that I think he was too swashbuckling, as you put it, so did Hamann, Brady and Dunphy. Changes were needed for sure. But to empty the position that the opposition's danger man occupies makes no sense to me.

So instead of typing a general reply such as the one you did, why don't you address the questions I've asked? Or maybe you actually do believe that it's a case of "make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break.."?

When they score 2 goals in 3 minutes in a playoff, meaning you have to score 2 minimum to win the game then you have to go all out, he'd no choice as his defenders couldn't defend, couldn't pick up loose players.

Yes and I believe it is a case when you have a very limited team to make yourself difficult to break be strong in the back and work very hard on counter attacking and set pieces...If you believe that Ireland have players in that whole squad that could compete on a one to one with most Euro teams then you are mistaken, they don't.. play to your strengths.. keep the system for all your games home away, never going to win the World cup but to get to the finals is the prize, the money can then be put into the development of the youth systems around the country, thats the real prize..

sorry if thats a general reply as yours wouldnt have made a difference whatever the set up would have been in the second half
My what wouldn't have a difference?

At least this time you've stated your opinion rather than talking about swashbuckling. What has two goals in three minutes have to do with anything? We needed two goals in 45 minutes. That was the position he founds himself in. He also needed not to concede any more goals.

As Hamann said afterwards last night, you need to stay in the game, even up to the 80th minute. You get one goal back and then you can throw caution to the wind. To abandon the system that he's employed the whole campaign in search of two goals and expect it to work is madness in my opinion.

As I said though, I don't mind you having that view. Just cut out the bull about what other people are saying when nobody is saying it.

your selection or choice and tactics wouldn't have made a difference.. too much space for their better players was the problem, cut that out then Ireland could have competed

you see MON is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't.. As a manager he has to make the call there and then, pundits sitting in the studio are just that, pundits! very rarely have they managed or even played to the standard Martin has, so for me I very rarely listen to commentators on at halftime and never after the game, because thats generally bullshit talk about how they would do it, they would though have more knowledge that the posters on here, but it seems shouting your mouth off on TV gives you more coverage
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Quote from: Declan on November 15, 2017, 09:56:51 AM
My understanding (and experience) is that the better grassroots clubs are going for it full-throttle - progressive clubs have been crying out for it, really.  I'm going back to do one of the new courses myself in the coming months, so I'll have a better idea of where coaching is going. 

I think the new approach is very different to the Kerr curriculum, but Kerr was an excellent coach and a good man-manager.  A man (and a manager) in a million, but the type of development coach we need to be bringing through. 

The Dutch will come again - they are far too reliant on aging coaches and aging systems as it stands.  They'll be back, because they're smart.

Agreed re PDP and the long term vision - future is not that bad. Last night was a bad one - memories of Eoin Hand's last game in charge against Denmark come to mind and we all know what happened after that ;)

I thought O'Neill signed a new two year contract before the Wales game?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:14:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 14, 2017, 04:35:21 PM
I think the difference in Iceland is the coaching - you are not allowed coach U10s in Iceland unless you have UEFA 'B' accreditation (if you had UEFA 'B' in Ireland you would have been coaching senior squads in the Leinster Senior League or equivalent).  The new FAI player development pathway (PDP) programme, introduced by Ruud Dokter seeks to change all this - recent results for our underage international squads have already shown a benefit from this programme, so I think the future is brighter than it was.

But we had great underage results in the past with the likes of Brian Kerr. Is the coaching in the clubs aligned to this PDP?

And we qualified for a WC with the fruits of Kerr's labours at u16 and u18.  And it is.  And all the leagues are committed to implementing the structures - you should have a read of it, it's very interesting, from a coaching perspective.

I read about it, but I was wondering how readily it's been adapted. And my point is what was Kerr doing that stopped being done, that is now covered off under this Dutch lad?

And finally, who is helping the Dutch now? :)

Is there a defined pathway to the professional game? It's all well improving coaching standards but keeping kids in the game is just as important and I am not a fan of Dublin Schoolboy clubs or any club signing young players from their home clubs. Too much focus on the 1%.
#newbridgeornowhere

rosnarun

would the FAI get any say in that?
must have been very sweet for tony o donoughoe after years of O neill making him look like a p***k to stick it to him . I thought it was very funny
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Avondhu star

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2017, 10:38:48 AM
I think the difference in Iceland is the coaching - you are not allowed coach U10s in Iceland unless you have UEFA 'B' accreditation (if you had UEFA 'B' in Ireland you would have been coaching senior squads in the Leinster Senior League or equivalent).  The new FAI player development pathway (PDP) programme, introduced by Ruud Dokter seeks to change all this - recent results for our underage international squads have already shown a benefit from this programme, so I think the future is brighter than it was.

But we had great underage results in the past with the likes of Brian Kerr. Is the coaching in the clubs aligned to this PDP?

And we qualified for a WC with the fruits of Kerr's labours at u16 and u18.  And it is.  And all the leagues are committed to implementing the structures - you should have a read of it, it's very interesting, from a coaching perspective.

I read about it, but I was wondering how readily it's been adapted. And my point is what was Kerr doing that stopped being done, that is now covered off under this Dutch lad?

Is there a defined pathway to the professional game? It's all well improving coaching standards but keeping kids in the game is just as important and I am not a fan of Dublin Schoolboy clubs or any club signing young players from their home clubs. Too much focus on the 1%.
I know where you are coming from but I know cases where young lads in Westmeath etc were thought to be good because they were scoring three and four a game. Then they were signed by Kevins or Crumlin and meeting defenders who had good coaching and they were shown up.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Maroon Manc

I haven't a clue how many qualified coaches their are in the country would imagine there isn't enough with funding been the major issue.

AQMP

Australia beat Honduras 3-1 in their play off to qualify.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2017, 10:38:48 AM

I know where you are coming from but I know cases where young lads in Westmeath etc were thought to be good because they were scoring three and four a game. Then they were signed by Kevins or Crumlin and meeting defenders who had good coaching and they were shown up.

Yes Dinny, there is now a defined pathway, through the LoI clubs - there's been an u19 and u17 league in place for a full season; there's an u15 league underway, and plans in a few years for the development of an u13 league too.  Obviously, the big Dublin clubs that have a vested interest (monetarily) in acting as feeders for clubs in the UK don't like this PDP and are trying to scupper at every opportunity.  Grassroots clubs are encouraged to develop links with their closest LoI club and work with them to develop their 'better' players.  I don't think we will see immediate results, but I think it is the right way to go, that is strengthening the local game, rather than sending all the kids overseas at an early stage in their development. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

I don't think changing the manager will make much difference Declan, though MON is a proud man and he may not be keen to continue. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mouview

Wringing our hands about being how poor we are is an age-old condition. This is the country that partied like it was 1990 when that team came home from the WC, having lost in the 1/4 finals, played drek football and beat nobody on the field of play. And we had much better players then.

I posted it here a long time ago; soccer by and large isn't the sport of the 'home' nations. The Celts/Saxons don't have the organisational discipline, creativity or imagination of other continental sides. England is just at the apex of ordinariness among us all, (and as long as first/second-generation players keep declaring for us when they find out they're not good enough for England, then we'll always be following on behind them.)

Live with it, nothing's really going to change. Be thankful we have the GAA to fill the sporting void.