FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 13, 2011, 06:04:56 PM
Rooney got a three match ban so misses the group phase. A very harsh punishment I think. It is not tiddly winks.

Thought it was harsh but he does have form in kicking people.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ross4life

Best draw for both teams i think both games will be low scoring hopefully with a bit of luck we'll pull through & qualify for our first European championship for 24 years.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Rooney got a three match ban so misses the group phase. A very harsh punishment I think. It is not tiddly winks.

Probably get knocked down to two on appeal. He can hardly complain though given his record.

GAA_Talk

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 13, 2011, 07:32:49 PM

Probably get knocked down to two on appeal. He can hardly complain though given his record.

The FA are set to appeal against this ban, however if it fails it may be increased to 4 games. I initially thought it was a bit harsh but then it's not the first time he's been sanctioned for this on the football field.

Anyway...Come on Ireland!

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Declan

QuoteHowever, I don't think it has to be either end of the spectrum though. I don't think we are quite as limited as Trap makes them play, so I think he could pass it a bit more and still maintain the hard work and effectiveness. As a fan of Ireland, first and foremost I want them to win, but f**k me, I hate when we lose playing like that.

Spot on AZ.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on October 14, 2011, 08:29:37 AM
QuoteHowever, I don't think it has to be either end of the spectrum though. I don't think we are quite as limited as Trap makes them play, so I think he could pass it a bit more and still maintain the hard work and effectiveness. As a fan of Ireland, first and foremost I want them to win, but f**k me, I hate when we lose playing like that.

Spot on AZ.

Hang on now, we've lost once 'playing like that' and we haven't done so since - in fact I'd argue that the reason we play like that (today) is precisely because of the way we were over-run at midfield during the home Russia (and Uruguay) game.  I just hope there's something 'in the tank', as we're a good bit behind, creatively, compared to what we could be facing in Poland-Uruguay.  I think we should have enough for whichever Estonia turns up in both games, but I wouldn't be expecting anything different from the team in those ties. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Should've, Would've, Could've

Should have died in that whisper,
distant wind in leaves and in tall grass
faint hallowed sound

Could have drown in that sorrow
clawing my way, nails peeled and bleeding
six feet under ground

Would have lived in that sight
a light, distant, but of promise or hope
the end of a tunnel not found
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

QuoteHang on now, we've lost once 'playing like that' and we haven't done so since - in fact I'd argue that the reason we play like that (today) is precisely because of the way we were over-run at midfield during the home Russia (and Uruguay) game.

Correct - but is there an argument to say that there are not many international teams with the ability of Russia/Uruguay and certainly the other teams in out group weren't up to that standard and by "limiting" ourselves we made it harder than it should have been to finish second?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on October 14, 2011, 11:22:16 AM
QuoteHang on now, we've lost once 'playing like that' and we haven't done so since - in fact I'd argue that the reason we play like that (today) is precisely because of the way we were over-run at midfield during the home Russia (and Uruguay) game.

Correct - but is there an argument to say that there are not many international teams with the ability of Russia/Uruguay and certainly the other teams in out group weren't up to that standard and by "limiting" ourselves we made it harder than it should have been to finish second?

I know, I know - whereas other teams impose their style of play on the game when they're in control, we appear to be telling our opponents to impose themselves on the game and we'll see if we can stop it.  I suppose it's bound to be prone to failure more often, as you say. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Applesisapples

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 13, 2011, 05:39:16 PM
Dinny is right but thats what I was getting at with my 'donegal' joke.

Not just soccer or Gaelic football or even hurling that are becomming defensive minded - look at the rugby world cup and most all competitions in recent years as well as other sports - teams are playing a defensive brand of their game in order to minimise the risk of losing.
the only teams that I can think of that buck this trend are Barcelona and Real madrid in soccer, Derry in football, and the likes of samoa/fiji in rugby and apart from Barca and to a certain extent Real , the rest are abject annaul failures because they cant or wont defend.

Journos are attacking all these teams and sports for becomeing 'defensive' or 'boring'  - but sport at the top level is about results. Only floor gymnastics or gymnastics in general is about 'the show'.
thats why I cant stand these f**king hacks. they are a blight on sports.
Right about Barca, wrong about Real...Mourinho plays defensively when required, mostly against Barca.

Atticus_Finch

Anyone making the trip to Tallin ?  Have they had any joy on the ticket front ?

I've applied for tickets myself through the FAI website - but not too hopeful.  We've got an allocation of 1,400.  I wouldn't be surprised if 5 times that amount make the trip.

Super duper longshot coming up here ... if anyone should have a spare ticket or two lying about, PM me please.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

stew

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 13, 2011, 06:09:42 PM

Thought it was harsh but he does have form in kicking people.

He is a tr**p and he got what he deserved, maybe if daddy hadnt have been accused of match fixing he might have been in a better frame of mind. he is united version of one John Terry as is giggs, scumbags all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orangemac

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:23:08 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 13, 2011, 12:21:07 PM
Delighted with the draw.  I'd be pretty confident except for the fact Keane might not be back and we could struggle to score goals without him especially with Doyle missing the first game as well.

I'm not too enamoured with the away game first. I know that technically it's better, but I get the feeling with this manager that Ireland will play for 0-0 over there, when I think you should be trying to score. 1-1 is better than 0-0 away from home.
Ireland seem to play better away from home and a score draw is the minimum result you would feel they need. I wouldn't fancy coming back with a 0-0 result particularly as Estonia while limited seem to also play better away from home.

Shane Long needs to start in Estonia as he could really stretch their defence on the break.

ballinaman

Quote from: Orangemac on October 19, 2011, 11:56:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:23:08 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 13, 2011, 12:21:07 PM
Delighted with the draw.  I'd be pretty confident except for the fact Keane might not be back and we could struggle to score goals without him especially with Doyle missing the first game as well.

I'm not too enamoured with the away game first. I know that technically it's better, but I get the feeling with this manager that Ireland will play for 0-0 over there, when I think you should be trying to score. 1-1 is better than 0-0 away from home.
Ireland seem to play better away from home and a score draw is the minimum result you would feel they need. I wouldn't fancy coming back with a 0-0 result particularly as Estonia while limited seem to also play better away from home.

Shane Long needs to start in Estonia as he could really stretch their defence on the break.
Any chance we could play both legs away...probably suit us better.