Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 21, 2019, 07:38:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 07:17:52 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 21, 2019, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 11:45:47 AM
Stormont is finished.

The DUP know if they go to talks, they will have to climb down on ILA, gay rights and abortion issues. Of course, it seems like every Tam Dick and Harry in the whole country is in favour of gay rights and abortion. Which is complete bollix.

So what are the DUP getting if they return? Those are the 3 outstanding issues. They'll be made to look weak and cowardly. They know these 3 things will be passed in time, but better to let their British masters do that dirty work than they themselves.

Anyway, Stormont returning is pointless. DUP and SF are as bad as each other. A shower of pricks, the lot of them.

The question is then why do people vote for them in massive numbers?

No point in saying they are useless - why are they useless?

I've asked this question before - if SF are not the answer, what type of party do nationalists want going forward?

The answers I got were - I don't like SF as they're no good etc.  but no one has said I want a party who does A, B and C etc.

It's like Brexit in London - everybody says what they're against but nobody says what they are for!

Because of sectarian voting.

SF and DUP don't have to do anything when they get voted in. They just point a finger at themmuns, and that rises their voters out yet again.

The DUP do hold the aces as long as NI exists. They don't have to work with SF, and if all goes tits up, it's back to London. And they don't care how much London f**k up this place, because at least they're still part of the uk, and they don't have to share/talk with SF.

All well and good but I need better reasons than that - because they are sectarian etc.  That's a general throw away comment.

It's not throw away. It's the current reality.

The current system for selecting the FM encourages it

smelmoth

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 23, 2019, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
Why are all those Nordies so against gay rights (which are human rights)?

In Ireland's marriage referendum 4 years ago, 734,300 people voted against it. That's almost 38% of voters.

Like I said before, whether in the north or south, not everyone is in favour of gay rights/marriage.

You just can't mention it in public or you would get lynched by the right on crowd and lose your job

It's a bit like race hate used to be

Eamonnca1

Quote from: michaelg on April 22, 2019, 06:42:24 PM
How does having a a Union Jack on your folder make you sectarian?

Are you serious? Kids in England don't exactly plaster their schoolbooks in Union Jacks, paint their kerbstones red white and blue, or parade around the place to assert how British they are. NI prods make a point of being more British than the British themselves.

Eamonnca1

In Ireland's marriage referendum 4 years ago, 734,300 people voted against it. That's almost 38% of voters.

Like I said before, whether in the north or south, not everyone is in favour of gay rights/marriage.

So it didn't pass by 100%. Thanks for letting us know.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 23, 2019, 03:48:06 PM

You just can't mention it in public or you would get lynched by the right on crowd and lose your job

Sounds like a better world to live in than the one where you could lose your job (or in the case of countries like Iran, your life) for being gay.

michaelg

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 22, 2019, 06:42:24 PM
How does having a a Union Jack on your folder make you sectarian?

Are you serious? Kids in England don't exactly plaster their schoolbooks in Union Jacks, paint their kerbstones red white and blue, or parade around the place to assert how British they are. NI prods make a point of being more British than the British themselves.
So would kids in Northern Ireland having an Ireland flag on their folder make them sectarian?

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2019, 05:43:49 PM

Read Rossfan's post again. That's what I was replying to.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 07:13:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2019, 05:43:49 PM

Read Rossfan's post again. That's what I was replying to.
I see.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on April 23, 2019, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 01:36:18 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 23, 2019, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 11:45:47 AMOf course, it seems like every Tam Dick and Harry in the whole country is in favour of gay rights and abortion. Which is complete bollix.

What's your issue with gay people having equal rights Benny???

I didn't say I have an issue. It's the impression that SF give on it though. That the whole country is for it and the only ones against it is a dozen or so DUP members, which is completely untrue. There are plenty against it, but you just don't hear them speak out about it.
Have any prominent SF members spoke out against marriage equality etc in the past?

I'm not sure, but all SF party members had to tow the line on abortion. Which was why Francie Brolly (could have been more) left the party.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 11:45:47 AMOf course, it seems like every Tam Dick and Harry in the whole country is in favour of gay rights and abortion. Which is complete bollix.

I didn't say I have an issue. It's the impression that SF give on it though. That the whole country is for it and the only ones against it is a dozen or so DUP members, which is completely untrue. There are plenty against it, but you just don't hear them speak out about it.
Have any prominent SF members spoke out against marriage equality etc in the past?

Not to my knowledge but I don't think they were always as pro LGBT rights as they are now

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 23, 2019, 08:38:44 PM

Not to my knowledge but I don't think they were always as pro LGBT rights as they are now

Populist bandwagon, and all that.

Rossfan

Isn't it sad that a Party gets criticised for supporting equal human rights for all humans?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MoChara

If it's any consolation to yous I think all the dissident groups are pro-gay rights

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 08:53:35 PM
Isn't it sad that a Party gets criticised for supporting equal human rights for all humans?

I don't recall them campaigning for gay rights 20 years ago.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 10:13:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 08:53:35 PM

I don't recall them campaigning for gay rights 20 years ago.

The world has moved on, well most of the world. There are still a few backward fools who think that obscure passages in an ancient much edited book should guide them instead. But like all slow learners they'll eventually get it.