RIP John Doyle - Tipperary Legend

Started by Kerry Mike, December 29, 2010, 01:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Tipperary great John Doyle has died at the age of 80, it was announced today.

A winner of eight All-Ireland Hurling titles, Doyle's career with the Premier County spanned 18 years and also included 10 Munster titles.

He holds a record 11 National League winner's medals.

Doyle was regarded by many pundits as one of the greatest players in the history of the game.

He was voted Hurler of the Year in 1964, remarkably in his 15th year with the Tipp' Senior team.

Doyle won All-Ireland titles in three different decades, claiming three medals by the age of 21.

Was a great of the game and will be missed by all in Tipperary hurling circles. RIP
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

seafoid

He will never be forgotten. Imagine how bare Ireland would be without the GAA.

orangeman

Without doubt he can be called one of the true greats of the game and there would be nobody arguing about it.

Ireland without the GAA would be unimaginable.

RIP

Rossfan

Another GAA great goes to his eternal reward.
R.I.P.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Am sorry to hear this. He was and will continue to be an icon of the game. RIP.

johnneycool

Was it John Doyle who was supposed to have won minor and AI medals in the same year?

RIP

ross4life

I saw the interview on the News where he talked about all he won & finished by saying... that's about it i think?

Gaa legend thats gone but never forgotten

RIP
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Onlooker

Quote from: johnneycool on December 30, 2010, 09:04:28 AM
Was it John Doyle who was supposed to have won minor and AI medals in the same year?

RIP
No, Johnney.  He won a Minor all Ireland in 1947 and Seniors in 1949, 1950, 1951, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1964 1nd 1965.  His record of 8 All Ireland medals is shared with Christy Ring, of course, but Doyle always said that Ring was the greatest hurler by far.  He also won 10 Munster Championships, a record he shares with Jimmy Barry Murphy and 11 National Hurling Leagues which is several more than any other player.  He was 19 when he won his fitrst All Ireland and 37 when he played in his last final in 1967.  Interesting that both Ring and Doyle were beaten in the their last final when going for their 9th All Ireland.  Ar dheis lamh De go raibh a anam.

johnneycool

Quote from: Onlooker on December 30, 2010, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 30, 2010, 09:04:28 AM

RIP
No, Johnney.  He won a Minor all Ireland in 1947 and Seniors in 1949, 1950, 1951, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1964 1nd 1965.  His record of 8 All Ireland medals is shared with Christy Ring, of course, but Doyle always said that Ring was the greatest hurler by far.  He also won 10 Munster Championships, a record he shares with Jimmy Barry Murphy and 11 National Hurling Leagues which is several more than any other player.  He was 19 when he won his fitrst All Ireland and 37 when he played in his last final in 1967.  Interesting that both Ring and Doyle were beaten in the their last final when going for their 9th All Ireland.  Ar dheis lamh De go raibh a anam.

Aye, just read there on a Tipp GAA press release that he was on the Tipp senior team 'as a substitute' in the NHL final of 1947/48 with him just out of minor.

Still some record though.

mylestheslasher

It is sad to see legends like John Doyle passing and though I am not from a hurling county I can appreciate what the man meant to his native county. I was listening to micheal o muircheartaigh on RTE radio and he mentioned an interview he did with John when they spoke of all the times he had been to the UK and US with GAA exhibitions and the like. The man said that he owed it all to the GAA for the opportunity to travel and for making him a household name, he reckoned he probably never would have made it to Shannon airport without the association. I thought it was refreshing to hear a player of his stature being modest enough and grateful enough to say that. RIP John Doyle.

heffo

RIP John - one of the greats.

Tipp can thank the brothers in Dungarvan CBS where he learned to hurl before moving to Tipp as a youngster.

Hurler on the Bitch

The first ever Guinness Book of Records I inherited - I believe it was the 1971 version - had a fantastic B and W pic of John Doyle in action in the hurling bit. Another legend of the past lost.