GAA Books 2010

Started by donelli, November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donelli

Took a quick look in easons yesterday to see what was new and available for Christmas...
Dara O Se autobiography
Dan Shanahan autobiography
John Mullane autobiography
Voices from Croke park
The Club (a 12 month account on some club in Clare i think)
Also heard Liam Hayes is bringing out a book.

Anyone read/recommend any of these or others ....and are any worth the purchase??

Croí na hÉireann

The Club is written by Christy O'Connor who writes for the Sunday Times, extracts look good, Kieran Shannon in the Tribune was singing its praises last weekend.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

5 Sams

Quote from: donelli on November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM
Took a quick look in easons yesterday to see what was new and available for Christmas...
Dara O Se autobiography
Dan Shanahan autobiography
John Mullane autobiography
Voices from Croke park
The Club (a 12 month account on some club in Clare i think)
Also heard Liam Hayes is bringing out a book.

Anyone read/recommend any of these or others ....and are any worth the purchase??

I have read Darragh's book....interesting read...but he doesnt ruffle any feathers....apart from giving his Uncle a few digs...He keeps quiet on a lot of issues that everyone knows he has an opinion on....however for anyone remotely interested in football you will really enjoy it.

Liam Hayes' book isnt new...it's an updated version of the original which he brought out in the 90s....it set the standard then for GAA autobiogs and is still, if not the best, one of the best GAA books ever written.

The voices yoke is a collection of stories from and about GAA lads produced by the GPA....

The other 3 are on my list of must buys and I'll get around to them soon.....Christy O'Connor wrote The Club and recounts a year in the life of his own club St Joseph's Doura Barefield in Clare....if its anywhere near as good as his last book about hurling keepers  "Last Man Standing" then it'll be a superb read.
The Aristocrat Years

Jinxy

Christy O'Connor was on Newstalk with one of the other lads from the club the other night.
Excellent interview and after hearing what it's about I'm definitely going to buy it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on November 10, 2010, 03:12:37 PM
Christy O'Connor was on Newstalk with one of the other lads from the club the other night.
Excellent interview and after hearing what it's about I'm definitely going to buy it.

Yeah, was a great interview. Think I might drop the hint to Santy to leave it under the tree for me.
He's a brother of Jamesie O'Connor, I never knew that before the Newstalk interview...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tubberman on November 10, 2010, 03:15:04 PM

Yeah, was a great interview. Think I might drop the hint to Santy to leave it under the tree for me.
He's a brother of Jamesie O'Connor, I never knew that before the Newstalk interview...

I was thinking the same but after hearing the interview I think I'm going to buy it at the weekend. Should be good. Can't wait. Also never knew Chrsity O'Connor was Jamesie's brother.

Glad to hear Liam Hayes book is out again. Never read it the first time.

tyroneboi

Tony Griffin the Clare hurler has a book out since the summer time there called Screaming at the Sky about the cycling he undertook a few years ago. It could be put on the list for Christmas along with The Club by Christy O'Connor which sounds excellent. A couple of other ones are The Ecstasy and the Agony all about Waterford hurling about their successes and failures over the past decade and also Brothers in Sport looks a decent read all about famous siblings in hurling and football.

Real Talk

I heard that the 'elder' James McCartan is doing an autobiography for the Christmas market and also coincides with the 50th Anniversary of Downs first Sam in 1960. Don't know who the author is though

BarryBreensBandage

I heard the Damian Lawlor book, Working on a Dream, was a great book - Anyone read it?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

INDIANA

havent put it down. Genius book in my view. one of the best I've ever read. Fed up reading the bullshit autobiographies.

magpie seanie

Quote from: INDIANA on November 13, 2010, 05:14:22 PM

havent put it down. Genius book in my view. one of the best I've ever read. Fed up reading the bullshit autobiographies.

Great recommendation. Indiana - you're on my list of feckers I have to have a pint with.

Triggerhappy

The club is an excellent book, bought it last saturday had it read by sinday evening - totally engrossing!!!

under the bar

"Jump Ship" by Paddy O'Rourke should be a winner.

Louth Exile

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 10, 2010, 04:16:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 10, 2010, 03:15:04 PM
I was thinking the same but after hearing the interview I think I'm going to buy it at the weekend. Should be good. Can't wait. Also never knew Chrsity O'Connor was Jamesie's brother.

It sounds like the stand out book of the year, he's a fair good writer and in the interview it came across as a warts and all book.
Its the only one I'm putting on my Santa list!
Up The Joes!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Don Johnson

Quote from: Real Talk on November 10, 2010, 09:31:44 PM
I heard that the 'elder' James McCartan is doing an autobiography for the Christmas market and also coincides with the 50th Anniversary of Downs first Sam in 1960. Don't know who the author is though

Is that some sort of stupid joke?