Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 12:33:11 PM
Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

Their mother's club AFAIK

Will the people on here be a wee bit more comforted knowing this information and they not just some random blow ins?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 11, 2023, 12:47:41 PM
Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

Will the people on here be a wee bit more comforted knowing this information and they not just some random blow ins?

Much prefer to feed the seige  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thegooch13

Quote from: belfastsaff on September 11, 2023, 11:26:41 AM
Cargin won and thats all they will however find no issue with lavey in the semis.
An important win for Portglenone will surly have sealed the mcnultys fate?
Dunloy will be fearing nobody.

Smith for Dunloy is a county footballer, any others catching the eye over the weekend ?

was thinking of heading to the gorts game but glad i didn't after seeing the scoreline!!

Good win for pg1, Dunloy will have it hard against them for sure. Wing back Caolan Tierney caught the eye for me scored a lovely point and had all round good game. McEntee surely looking at him

geezer

All in all, a poor enough weekend of football. Barring Dunloy LD, the other 3 games were flat.

Creggan were dreadful. PG1 not great either by any stretch but deserved their victory. McAleese back will help them massively.

Aghagallon and Cargin were both well below par which resulted in a poor game that promised so much.

Rossa not at the level yet as they struggled against an average St Brigids team. They will pose no threat to Cargin whatsoever.

Dunloy/PG1 very intriguing. Dunloys direct running will cause all sorts of problems.

Hoof Hearted

Both Semis in Dunsilly
Sat 23rd @ 7.30 Portglenone v Dunly
Sun 23th @ 2.00 Cargin v St Bridgids
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Would ye whist

Brendan Toland's performance.........discuss

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 01:17:06 PM
Both Semis in Dunsilly
Friday 22nd for this one Portglenone v Dunloy

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 11, 2023, 01:43:01 PM
Both Semis in Dunsilly

website not updated yet then ;)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 01:45:40 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 11, 2023, 01:43:01 PM
Both Semis in Dunsilly

website not updated yet then ;)
Friday was sent out to clubs by email.

SaffronSports

Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me personally as I've no dog in the race but I do think the fact they've gone to a club that they have family connections too makes a big difference.

They fell out with Lavey and unfortunately that shit happens. Young lads who no doubt grew up with the game so obviously needed a new home. There will have been easier options too where they could probably go and lift a load of medals but they've gone to a club that they have a connection too and also not one who have that winning tradition at senior level (yet).

I'd say it makes it easier for club people too. They'll know the family and know there's a connection to the club and not just complete outsiders turning up.

AntrimRealist

Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 02:01:22 PM

Ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me personally as I've no dog in the race but I do think the fact they've gone to a club that they have family connections too makes a big difference.

They fell out with Lavey and unfortunately that shit happens. Young lads who no doubt grew up with the game so obviously needed a new home. There will have been easier options too where they could probably go and lift a load of medals but they've gone to a club that they have a connection too and also not one who have that winning tradition at senior level (yet).

I'd say it makes it easier for club people too. They'll know the family and know there's a connection to the club and not just complete outsiders turning up.

So based on this, the apparent link with Cargin first is complete nonsense and they had a burning desire all along to play for St Brigids.  Whilst a family connection might go some way towards explaining the move to that particular club, I doubt it's of any comfort to those players who are no longer in the reckoning for a start as well as those moving up into the senior ranks in the next year or two.

GTP

You can continue the argument on a connection to the club, M Downey is a cousin of the three brothers playing yesterday, they are not his mother's club.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: geezer on September 11, 2023, 01:13:53 PM
All in all, a poor enough weekend of football. Barring Dunloy LD, the other 3 games were flat.

Creggan were dreadful. PG1 not great either by any stretch but deserved their victory. McAleese back will help them massively.

Aghagallon and Cargin were both well below par which resulted in a poor game that promised so much.

Rossa not at the level yet as they struggled against an average St Brigids team. They will pose no threat to Cargin whatsoever.

Dunloy/PG1 very intriguing. Dunloys direct running will cause all sorts of problems.

the more i think about it the less of a chance im giving dunloy. LD missing R Murray, D Lynch and P Mervyn

imtommygunn

I think Dunloy have a chance in that game tbh. Their speed and conditioning / strength will make them difficult. I would expect them to give Portglenone more of a game than Creggan who were very poor but Portglenone should probably still win (Someone said Creggan were poor 2 years but they were ok last year and lost out in a very tight game with Cargin).

You should also remember when listing LD were missing 3 key players Dunloy were missing McGarry and basically Molloy (bar about 2 minutes) so they were not without their absentees.

It would still be a big surprise were it not  Cargin Portglenone final yes but I think Dunloy have a chance. Tbh I am not sure about St Brigids - they have a chance but not sure they're quite at Cargin level.

geezer

Quote from: NorthAntrim on September 11, 2023, 02:25:41 PM
Quote from: geezer on September 11, 2023, 01:13:53 PM

the more i think about it the less of a chance im giving dunloy. LD missing R Murray, D Lynch and P Mervyn

Dunloy missing 2 county hurling starters in Molloy (after 2/3 mins) and Ryan McGarry.

I expect PG1 to win but wouldnt be surprised at all if Dunloy get to the final.