All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2017, 12:06:40 PM
Vaughans? Ah no, I have to disagree. It was a red. Running in like that, arm up, and hit a lad across the shoulder/neck/jaw area. You're asking for it.

Yeah Vaughan gambled and lost. If Small wasn't picking up a second card I think Vaughan wouldn't have seen red.

vallankumous

Quote from: theyellowbus on September 19, 2017, 12:11:05 PM
Ref was poor overall and made some calls which weren't just marginal.

Dublin's free before half time after kilkenny ran into his own man was an extremely harsh free and 9 out of ten refs wouldn't give it.
He bottled the penalty call no foul occurred outside the square it happened inside.he made no hand signal to say he was giving advantage thus suggesting no foul had been committed in the first place outside the square.
Free against fitzsimons was harsh IMO didn't matter in the end but i would find it hard to believe most refs would give it.
There was series of play where the ball was fouled four times (two a piece) in the second half within a forty second spell including a mayo player handling the ball clearly on the ground and a Dublin player throwing the ball and none were pulled.
Vaughan was red card all day long when you lead with the shoulder and you come within the region of a players head which he did its a red card.
Pure insanity on Vaughans part.

He caught him with the inside of his arm.

theyellowbus

It doesn't matter what he caught him with he initially lead with his shoulder and didn't try to hide it.
He made contact with the neck/head area and that's a red card.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2017, 11:53:31 AM
Vaughan was a red surely? That's the first time I've seen someone claim otherwise.

Ref has to call for Hawkeye. Surely he could see himself they were points but he was like a scared rabbit all day. Petrified of making an error.
Ref does not have to call for Hawkeye in that if a mistake is made he is informed in his earpiece that it has happened and the bit on the screen is simply for the audience. In the minor game a ball was waved wide, ref played on and moments later was called back on his earpiece, video shown and point awarded.
I have no great love for McQuillan but am happy that he was even handed on Sunday. There are marginal calls and we all have the benefit of tv replays. He doesn't. I doubt if anyone saw the alleged O Gara eye gouge in real time. The penalty claim for Keegan is a debate as to whither there were two separate fouls, one outside the box that continued inside, or a foul outside the box from which he was given advantage only to be fouled a second time. If Small wasn't being sent off I doubt that Donie would have seen red but That's just my opinion. I thought he missed a few fouls on Mayo forwards, AOS in one instance in the first ten minutes but I remind myself nowadays that I'm not impartial and the two lads seated beside me from non-competing counties were not as exercised,

magpie seanie

Some good points there but I've never seen Hawkeye called for where they were clearly points. The first one was in the middle of the goals and the second one was low, beside but clearly inside the post. People round me were roaring that it was wide.....obviously in desperation.

blast05

Re the penalty incident ..... here is the rule

"If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original"

No matter what way you slice and dice the incident, it should have been a penalty.

vallankumous

The advantage rule should never be used unless there's a goal chance or it's coming out of defense. A scoreable free is the biggest advantage ye can get.
At one stage Connolly had men hanging off him begging for a free but was let go because he held onto the ball. He put it over the bar despite wanting the free

theyellowbus

was there even a free though outside the square is my point?
Contact was minimal until the mayo player was well  inside and then hauled down.
McQuillan gave no indication at that point of an advantage thus suggesting he initially thought there was no free.
It was only when it become blatant that he decided to give a free on the basis he thought the player was fouled outside the square which obviously didn't happen.

mup

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2017, 12:08:21 PM
Quote from: mup on September 19, 2017, 12:05:59 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2017, 11:58:36 AM
Quote from: mup on September 19, 2017, 11:55:55 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2017, 11:46:25 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 19, 2017, 10:39:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2017, 10:37:19 AM
In fairness Keegan was lousy to do that. Fair play to Rock for keeping his cool, but Keegan went down in my estimation for doing that. To even think of taking the tracker out of it's slot and throwing it at him is fairly desperate.

That's exactly what it was - desperation.

If it wasn't premediated how did McEntee know to squirrel the unit away on the quiet?

Were O'Gara's fingers squirrelled away somewhere on the quiet too?

Yawn with the whataboutery.

Boyle is no choirboy - if O'Gara is found guilty of some offence he should do a spell on the sidelines accordingly.

Those calling Vaughan's running clothes line a yellow card really need to get a grip of themselves.

Whataboutery indeed. I'm not calling anyone choirboys. But you coming on here taking the high moral ground on stuff that takes place on the field is laughable. Or whataboutery if you prefer.

You have history in making up accusations on these pages without backing anything up so it's hard to take you seriously.

I'm not taking any moral high ground - both sides were as bad as each other. A poster claimed it was an act of desperation yet Tony McEntee pocketed the tracker without questions.

What unsubstantiated accusations are these?

What is he supposed to do? Pick up the tracker and head over to the ref and say 'Lee threw this at Dean Rock'?  ::)

I think you know what the accusations were. Stop pretending otherwise.

The Hill is Blue

In fairness Keegan was lousy to do that. Fair play to Rock for keeping his cool, but Keegan went down in my estimation for doing that. To even think of taking the tracker out of it's slot and throwing it at him is fairly desperate.

I wouldn't demonise Lee Keegan over this. The realisation the you are about to lose another All Ireland final by just one point must be horrifying and could make just about anyone do something very rash.

Anyway no one died and Rock didn't seem to notice.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 19, 2017, 04:29:16 PM

I wouldn't demonise Lee Keegan over this. The realisation the you are about to lose another All Ireland final by just one point must be horrifying and could make just about anyone do something very rash.

I think Keegan is an absolutely great player but there's no defending what he did or minimizing it. It was pure scum.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on September 19, 2017, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 19, 2017, 04:29:16 PM

I think Keegan is an absolutely great player but there's no defending what he did or minimizing it. It was pure scum.

Nothing like a bit of over reaction  ::)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Quote from: blast05 on September 19, 2017, 12:30:37 PM

"If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original"

No matter what way you slice and dice the incident, it should have been a penalty.

blast, did you get that from the actual rule book or was it just some randomer on the internet? What's the exact section?

I'm not saying you are not right, because I don't know for sure, but I definitely seen rules quoted before which did not agree with that. I have countless times seen advantages end because the player with the ball was fouled again and the ref always brings it back to the first foul.

Without doubt, the rule should be as you have laid it out. But just not sure it is.

Walter Cronc

Apologies if already mentioned....

Did anyone hear Second Captains ripping the Mid West Radio commentary? Martin Carney near crying!!!!

Hilarious as I cannot stand the man.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on September 19, 2017, 04:36:24 PM
Quote from: blast05 on September 19, 2017, 12:30:37 PM

blast, did you get that from the actual rule book or was it just some randomer on the internet? What's the exact section?

I'm not saying you are not right, because I don't know for sure, but I definitely seen rules quoted before which did not agree with that. I have countless times seen advantages end because the player with the ball was fouled again and the ref always brings it back to the first foul.

Without doubt, the rule should be as you have laid it out. But just not sure it is.

Foul Subsequent to Advantage Award

If, during the advantage period, a foul is committed by a player of the team which was originally fouled then the advantage
is cancelled and a free kick/puck awarded for the "second" foul.
If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a
free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.

Can be found on Page 29 of handbook - link below

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/51/90/13034RefHandbook_English.pdf