2018 O'Byrne Cup

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 16, 2017, 01:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

The 2018 O'Byrne Cup draw has been made with holders Dublin being grouped alongside Offaly and Wexford.
Dublin will have a bye in the opening round of the upcoming pre-season competition which will take place on Saturday, 30th December

2018 O'Byrne Cup draw:

Group 1
Dublin
Offaly
Wexford

Group 2
Kildare
Louth
Longford

Group 3
Meath
Carlow
Wicklow

Group 4
Westmeath
Laois

Dates:
Dec 30, Jan 3, Jan 7.

Semi-finals
Jan 13/14.

Final
Jan 20/21.

Opening Fixtures:
Offaly v Wexford
Louth v Longford
Wicklow v Carlow
Westmeath v Laois

Format:
Round robin with first placed team advancing to semi-finals. Westmeath and Laois play each other home and away with aggregate score deciding who tops Group 4.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

How can it be a group when it has two teams?! We'd be as well off out of this f**king thing.

Unlaoised

Strange....To only have two teams in one group?
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Wouldn't worry about it too much, it's a competition that benefits injured players and gives players games instead of training only. What can be wrong with that ?

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on November 16, 2017, 01:16:33 PM
Wouldn't worry about it too much, it's a competition that benefits injured players and gives players games instead of training only. What can be wrong with that ?
They're running it arseways, thats whats wrong with it.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I know it's not ideal but, as I said, its games and that's what the players want.
I'm sure the new management team will be delighted to try out a few new players and ideas in a few competitive games.
Just out of curiosity, what way would you run it?

SCFC

I fancy us for this big time ;D

They probably should have gone with 2 groups of 4 and a group of 3. 11 is an awkward number to be fair.

brandyandPORT

It's probably the best competition to look at some of our new additions to the panel, realistically  it is scary to think of a senior team without our top scorer. Who can fill those shoes is the biggest question???

Unlaoised

Quote from: SCFC on November 16, 2017, 04:13:07 PM

They probably should have gone with 2 groups of 4 and a group of 3. 11 is an awkward number to be fair.

Simples ..Top from each group 2nd best place team in the group of 4 to go into the semis!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

O'Byrne Cup Round 1
Saturday, December 30th @2pm

Offaly v Wexford, O'Connor Park
Louth v Longford, Gaelic Grounds
Wicklow v Carlow, Bray
Westmeath v Laois, TEG Cusack Park

Zooming around

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 17, 2017, 03:47:58 PM
Quote from: SCFC on November 16, 2017, 04:13:07 PM

Simples ..Top from each group 2nd best place team in the group of 4 to go into the semis!

Did you do much maths in school?

the sash

Have lost faith in this management team already. Heard last night that paddy o sullivan was dropped off the laois panel and told he was too small to play centre back and not mobile enough to play wingback. They said that when they saw him play centre back with his club during the championship and said he wasn't strong enough to play there. Bit strange condsidering he never played centre back this year with us. Was sugrue watching the championship at all.  So the laois under 21 player of the year is gone off the panel without getting a run in the o byrne cup or start of the league, it's no wonder that half the players in our club have no interest in playing with the county when they are treated like this. We need to rebuild our senior team, we'd be better off dropping some of the elder statesmen

Don Draper

Quote from: the sash on December 17, 2017, 07:42:10 PM
Have lost faith in this management team already. Heard last night that paddy o sullivan was dropped off the laois panel and told he was too small to play centre back and not mobile enough to play wingback. They said that when they saw him play centre back with his club during the championship and said he wasn't strong enough to play there. Bit strange condsidering he never played centre back this year with us. Was sugrue watching the championship at all.  So the laois under 21 player of the year is gone off the panel without getting a run in the o byrne cup or start of the league, it's no wonder that half the players in our club have no interest in playing with the county when they are treated like this. We need to rebuild our senior team, we'd be better off dropping some of the elder statesmen
Aye, they should have lead him on rather than be honest with him, shur that woulda been the smart thing to do. If I was him, I'd knuckle down and tell myself that I'm going to f**king show that shower of pricks that they were wrong and make myself unignorable. I'd love to see him do that.

Giovanni

Doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't they have known how big he was and how mobile he was before they invited him to join the panel???

I'd agree with Don's sentiments on this, if not the manner in which we expresses them.

O moore parklife

The man is 20 lets leave him prove himself as a senior footballer. He was very good  21 player on a great 21 team playing against lets face it weak opposition.
Loads of potential and time..
Have to admire sugrues honesty.
Unfortunate to see the knives out already.
I'm remaining positive for the rest of the squad including colm murphy who is still there despite long term injury