Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: stiffler on November 21, 2007, 10:44:02 PM
So after all the singing and dancing is done, both the north and south end up in third place in their groups. Both have the identical goals for and against record, with the north gaining 3 more points than the south.

Surely there is a shout that there should be one team representing this island, with the combined player pool  we would have a far bigger chance of reaching major tournaments.

Both the north and south have failed to qualify for the last FIVE european championships. Pathetic record.

Nonsence Stiffler!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

T Fearon

Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning. Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on November 29, 2007, 11:44:13 AM
Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning.
Tony

For aproximately the millionth time, can you please tell us in what way the Sunday ban was sectarian?
Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team
No, they want FIFA's rules to be implemented in the same way as they are all across the world. If the players are elligible then they are free to choose the FAI.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on November 29, 2007, 11:47:05 AM
Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning.
Tony

For aproximately the millionth time, can you please tell us in what way the Sunday ban was sectarian?
Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team
No, they want FIFA's rules to be implemented in the same way as they are all across the world. If the players are elligible then they are free to choose the FAI.

Any else getting a weird sense of deja vu?
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

For the millionth time Sammy I will answer you. The Ban on Sunday soccer was in accordance with the practice and beliefs of protestantism and this reflects or did reflect the personal beliefs of IFA members in general. I would hope you would not try to insult anyone's intelligence by attempting to deny this.

Also players born in any part of the 32 counties of Ireland should have the right to exercise their freedom of choice and play for either the IFA or FAI team. What the IFA are trying to do is effectively coerce players born in the 6 counties into playing for their team, hence we have the farcical situation of a so called "British Association" playing players who hold Irish passports. Now tell me where that happens anywhere else in the world?

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on November 29, 2007, 12:10:58 PM
For the millionth time Sammy I will answer you. The Ban on Sunday soccer was in accordance with the practice and beliefs of protestantism
In what way?
Also players born in any part of the 32 counties of Ireland should have the right to exercise their freedom of choice and play for either the IFA or FAI team.
Why just those two, why not Brazil or Croatia or Australia
What the IFA are trying to do is effectively coerce players born in the 6 counties into playing for their team,
Complete bollix, how could the IFA co-erce anybody (even if they wanted to)
hence we have the farcical situation of a so called "British Association" playing players who hold Irish passports. Now tell me where that happens anywhere else in the world?
Err the IFA represent NI they don't represent Britain, so I've no idea what your point is.

red hander

Are self-delusion and paranoia required ingredients to be part of the statelet's fan base?

I only ask cos a letter in today's News Letter (I never miss it) about the game in Spain had me wetting myself involuntarily.

Master Timothy Thorpe, 'Green and White Army', Coleraine (strange address) lambasts the nasty Spanish rossers for their treatment of "the fabulous Northern Ireland support" by holding them outside the stadium "like animals".  Who else would put up with it, Master Timothy laments.

"I suspect not a lot as I am sure they would have resorted to violence by that stage, but not the Green and White Army who remained calm amid the harassment and confusion dished out by the Spanish police," he answers his own lamentations.

"Maybe it was all a big ploy," Timmy suggests.  "Maybe the Spanish were jealous of the best supporters in Europe; maybe FIFA encouraged the hold-up to intimidate us and make us resort to violence in another attempt to take 'Our Wee Country' out of the football world.

"If it was or if it wasn't, the Green and White Army will fight tooth and nail to keep the integrity of our wee country intact and support Northern Ireland wherever they may go."

Nurse? The sedatives...

saffron sam2

Tony

Do you know what sectarian means?

Why do you think the rule was in place?

I would also be interested if you could list the names and roles of the 18 man executive committee and which of the dozen and a half would be most likely to lose their posts if it was reduced to 10.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: SammyG on November 29, 2007, 12:18:24 PM
For the millionth time Sammy I will answer you. The Ban on Sunday soccer was in accordance with the practice and beliefs of protestantism
In what way?
Also players born in any part of the 32 counties of Ireland should have the right to exercise their freedom of choice and play for either the IFA or FAI team.
What the IFA are trying to do is effectively coerce players born in the 6 counties into playing for their team,

My cousin was born in Armagh...Played for R.O.I u21's and has been constantly hassled to play for N.I even tho he holds a Irish passport...Played for the country of his birth..doesnt wanna play for N.I...Wheres it gonna end?? Why try to make someone play for a team that he doesn't want to play for?
hence we have the farcical situation of a so called "British Association" playing players who hold Irish passports. Now tell me where that happens anywhere else in the world?
Err the IFA represent NI they don't represent Britain, so I've no idea what your point is.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on November 30, 2007, 01:40:47 AM
In what way?

My cousin was born in Armagh...Played for R.O.I u21's and has been constantly hassled to play for N.I even tho he holds a Irish passport...Played for the country of his birth..doesnt wanna play for N.I...Wheres it gonna end?? Why try to make someone play for a team that he doesn't want to play for?

Think i was drunk there and copied every thing! Hope u get the jist of that...

Turlough O Carolan

Tony

Surely you can't be serious. Discriminating based on a religious belief is sectarian. "No Soccer on a Sunday" is a fundamentalist Christian belief.

SammyG

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 29, 2007, 08:49:28 PMDo you know what sectarian means?
Yes thanks
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 29, 2007, 08:49:28 PM
Why do you think the rule was in place?
It was originally put in place at a time when it was the norm (and was also the rule in most other countries). And was never removed for various reasons, ranging from the dinosaur mentality at the IFA, through to it being lumped in with other things and being rejected as part of the other package.
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 29, 2007, 08:49:28 PM
I would also be interested if you could list the names and roles of the 18 man executive committee and which of the dozen and a half would be most likely to lose their posts if it was reduced to 10.
You've asked me this loads of times and I've told you I've no idea, there are reps from the Premier League, junior football and the county FAs but other than Kennedy and Hard Wells, I don't know any of them.

his holiness nb

I am staying out of this one for reasons of not giving a f**k, but Sammy, this is a ridiculous post.
And dont get back asking why, its bloody obvious  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 30, 2007, 09:35:34 AM

I am staying out of this one for reasons of not giving a f**k, but Sammy, this is a ridiculous post.
Of course it's ridiculous but it's not any more ridiculous than Tony's post. That's the point, players can't just pick and choose who they play for.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: SammyG on November 30, 2007, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: his holiness nb on November 30, 2007, 09:35:34 AM

Of course it's ridiculous but it's not any more ridiculous than Tony's post. That's the point, players can't just pick and choose who they play for.
Because u mentioned Brazil and Croatia...Can you explain how Eduardo was born in Brazil and plays for Croatia?