Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 08, 2008, 01:00:48 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 03, 2008, 07:50:08 PM
Lads,

Earlier in the year I posted up files I had done on the c'ship records in Mayo since the 80's. That work goes back to 1975 now, though the '75-76 Intermediates aren't fully complete, and there are some loose ends in the Junior file, which is back to '78, and covers mainly the divisional finals or semis onwards, all are on the links below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/168653126/Mayo_SFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653127/Mayo_IFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653129/Mayo_JFC_History.doc
Thanks very much.
That's one hell of a job you've done!

Its a huge piece of work really. Where did you get all the results Oranmore sider?
Library local paper searches perhaps? It must have taken a long time.

Whats the plan now? Are you doing any more study into the results?

The club results are so comprehensive that a study into the rise and decline of clubs correlating to population and emigration, among other factors would be interesting.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 08, 2008, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 08, 2008, 01:00:48 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 03, 2008, 07:50:08 PM
Lads,

Earlier in the year I posted up files I had done on the c'ship records in Mayo since the 80's. That work goes back to 1975 now, though the '75-76 Intermediates aren't fully complete, and there are some loose ends in the Junior file, which is back to '78, and covers mainly the divisional finals or semis onwards, all are on the links below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/168653126/Mayo_SFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653127/Mayo_IFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653129/Mayo_JFC_History.doc
Thanks very much.
That's one hell of a job you've done!

Its a huge piece of work really. Where did you get all the results Oranmore sider?
Library local paper searches perhaps? It must have taken a long time.

Whats the plan now? Are you doing any more study into the results?

The club results are so comprehensive that a study into the rise and decline of clubs correlating to population and emigration, among other factors would be interesting.

It took a while alright, but it helped that some archives were available online, the Western for the last decade or so via their site, and many older Telegraphs (70's/80's) via www.irishnewsarchive.com. For the available years, it was just a case of filling in the gaps left, and then doing up the remainder in Castlebar. You'd get a few years done in a day's work there tbf, if you didn't get sidetracked. Also having three different sources was a help (well the Mayo News was little use way back when, but for West division finals it did the job), whereas over here the Champion was the only show in town up til the late 90's, mind you the Western coverage of Sligo club matches was quite good for a time too.

I'm doing similiar work on the other Connacht counties, but the site above sorts out Galway and Leitrim, meaning no trips there, wouldn't have looked at them otherwise. The http://rapidshare.com/files/168653130/SFC_History.doc|Sligo version goes back to the mid-50's! Will head back to 1970 and probably leave it at that for a while, as the older papers were hit-and-miss in covering club affairs, if the Champion is anything to go by. Doubt I'll be getting too scientific on them though, may do up an overall record by club but other than that unlikely. It's interesting to note that teams that contested senior finals in the last 25 years, namely Balla and Lacken, are now marooned in Junior, and Kiltimagh have joined them now too, while Charlestown and Ballinrobe both went there too, before sorting themselves out. And Hollymount's three Moclairs in the 1990-94 period will have to sustain them for a long time, as they continue to struggle in Intermediate. Only one similiar case to be found here.

And Oranmore is in Galway btw. ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Twil be a long time before we see Holly back in a senior final, unless they amalgamate with Carramore . .
Lacken and Balla are similarly fecked. I can't download the files though OMS . . At the risk of sounding like a Cavan man can they be downloaded for free or would I have to select the payment option??
Serious body of work though, fair play!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Owenmoresider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 08, 2008, 10:54:12 PM
Twil be a long time before we see Holly back in a senior final, unless they amalgamate with Carramore . .
Lacken and Balla are similarly fecked. I can't download the files though OMS . . At the risk of sounding like a Cavan man can they be downloaded for free or would I have to select the payment option??
Serious body of work though, fair play!
True, no more than Down, that's one 100% record in finals that will stand for some time! And the Connellys are still going for them, along with a few more veterans. Not as much coming up though. Suppose such a group pf players only comes along for a club once in a while, bit like Crossmolina now perhaps?

Surprised you aren't able to download them, didn't realise there was any restrictions, but maybe the payment thing is an elaborate ploy to recoup those expenses to all those Mayomen coming up to train our lot. :P Nah send me a PM with your email and I'll send the files on to you.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

StoneWall

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 10, 2008, 05:16:22 PM
how come the mayo jerseys start at €10 more than the dublin jersey  ???

Those prices are misleading, when you click on Buy Now they both come in at €63.42!

An Gaeilgoir

I see that C. Mortimor is at it again in the Indo. today.

the Deel Rover

why what did he say an gaeilgoir ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

An Gaeilgoir

More or less that if he has something to say he will always say it, regardless of what the county secretary says. It was written quite like that but if you read between the lines.....also he said that Mayo would win nothing without him.

Davitt Man

Just wondering are most senior clubs and some intermediate clubs paying their managers for coaching the team?

Davitt Man

Does anyone know when the county board provide the fixture list for the season ahead??

criostlinn

Massive chance for Killala to make the All Ireland Junior Final after the Leinster Champs were bet by Liverpool side John Mitchels at the weekend. Roll on Croke Park on the 14/2/2009. Thet aint gonna ever get a better chance then this.

Although Id say Moynalvey were saying the same thing last week.

The Killala lads have been trainging very well and I think are ready for a good craic at the title.

stephenite

Would be nice to see Enda Gilvarry get an All Ireland club title under his belt, he was manager of our seniors the year before we won the All Ireland, in one of those funny twists fate the chairman of Mitchells is a Ballina man and David Brady's first cousin who went to Muredeachs.

For Mitchells to beat Moynalvey was a massive result for them, they must be handy enough. I'd be wary if I was a Killala man and put away talk of massive chances and never get a better chance etc.

criostlinn

I heard mitchels have a strong midfield, a lad who used to play for kildare lorded it up in the middle. The full back line is strong as well. In saying that Moynalvy were very poor so time will tell.

Fair play to enda, this is a much improved killala team from 2 years ago.