Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

i dont it matter who finshs top of the table as its an open draw again for the quarters

Tubberman

Moy Davitts 0-7 0-10 Ballintubber

A great win for Ballintubber over Moy Davitts in Foxford yesterday. Ballintubber were almost completely dominant in the first half. They were faster to every break and the defence were playing very well as a unit - whenever a defender went up for a ball there was a man behind him to pick up the break. Midfield was winnging plenty of ball and the forwards were getting into good positions and taking their points well. They went in leading 8 points to 2 at half time and could/should have had at least 2 goals - one was saved brilliantly by Moy Davitts keeper, and another ruled out (think it was for a throw pass from Alan Dillon).
Moy Davitts, as you would expect, started the second half strongly and had it down to 8 points to 6 by the end of the third quarter. Ballintubber were finding it hard to get ball up to the forwards and when they managed to, they were kicking under pressure and hit a few wides.
Ballintubber started to get their hands on the ball a bit more and from then until the end it was pretty even - Ballintubber opened the gap to 3 again and saw out the game without ever coming under any great pressure.

Best for Ballintubber were Alan Dillon, Alan Plunkett and RuaidhrĂ­ O'Connor.

Garrymore are next up, and if we manage to come through that with a win, we're in the quater-finals!  ;D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 09, 2008, 11:39:33 AM
i dont it matter who finshs top of the table as its an open draw again for the quarters

I know thats the trouble it's just a matter of top-of-the-table pride they'd be fighting for. It really means nothing but I suppose chances are someone will win we just have to hope it's Ballagh.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: kevmy on June 09, 2008, 11:10:07 AM
Shrule-Glencorrib 3-7  2-15 Ballagh'

5 point defeat not good for us. If Conor was fit he might have made the difference we missed a couple of frees and didn't take our scores when we had the chance. The way we let in the Ballagh' second goal was poor. Barry Regan cleaned Kieran Conroy in the first half and Andy Moran roasted Dermot Geragthy in the second. With Breaffy flaking Kiltane by 10 points we have a major uphill battle. Need to beat the bejaysus out of Kiltane and hope an already qualified Ballagh' do us a favour against Breaffy. I suppose there is the matter of top of the table between them but I'd still prefer it if we had it in our hands.

How did Conroy get on in the 2nd half kevmy, would you be concerned about him at FB for the Sligo match?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on June 09, 2008, 11:58:59 AM
Moy Davitts 0-7 0-10 Ballintubber

A great win for Ballintubber over Moy Davitts in Foxford yesterday. Ballintubber were almost completely dominant in the first half. They were faster to every break and the defence were playing very well as a unit - whenever a defender went up for a ball there was a man behind him to pick up the break. Midfield was winnging plenty of ball and the forwards were getting into good positions and taking their points well. They went in leading 8 points to 2 at half time and could/should have had at least 2 goals - one was saved brilliantly by Moy Davitts keeper, and another ruled out (think it was for a throw pass from Alan Dillon).
Moy Davitts, as you would expect, started the second half strongly and had it down to 8 points to 6 by the end of the third quarter. Ballintubber were finding it hard to get ball up to the forwards and when they managed to, they were kicking under pressure and hit a few wides.
Ballintubber started to get their hands on the ball a bit more and from then until the end it was pretty even - Ballintubber opened the gap to 3 again and saw out the game without ever coming under any great pressure.

Best for Ballintubber were Alan Dillon, Alan Plunkett and RuaidhrĂ­ O'Connor.

Garrymore are next up, and if we manage to come through that with a win, we're in the quater-finals!  ;D

Nice report there Tubberman!
It was a good win, the only thing I was disappointed in was our 2nd half performance. In the first half we played very well. The defence was outstanding and turned over a lot of the attacks, dispossessing the Davitts forwards. Our forwards were playing well too although we had 3 goal chances fluffed. Michael Hoban was very good at midfield but in the second half we were not going in for the breaks like we did in the first.

In the 2nd half we sat back and let Davitts come at us when we should have killed off the game and kept up the pressure we had on in the first half.

Teams always come back at you but I think they we used our lead as a cushion which is a dangerous thing to do. Against Garrymore in the league we were 10 up at half time and the game ended up a draw because we let our foot off the gas. It something we need to work on and its a bad habit we have to shake. Great teams are a lot less forgiving when they get a good lead, they keep up the pressure and "go for the jugular".

But im told "a win is a win", and maybe I shouldnt be raking the coals!

Tubberman

QuoteIn the 2nd half we sat back and let Davitts come at us when we should have killed off the game and kept up the pressure we had on in the first half.

Teams always come back at you but I think they we used our lead as a cushion which is a dangerous thing to do.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. First half performance was excellent apart from the missed goal chances. I expected Moy Davitts to come at us in the 2nd half, but we really stood off them for the first 10-15 mins of 2nd half. They cut the gap to 2 in no time and a couple of those points were from mistakes coming out of defence - bad passes, carrying ball into tackle and losing possession etc
But in fairness, once we settled into the half, we maintained our lead and weren't under any great pressure at the end. But I'd agree that a stronger team would probably have steamrolled us at the start of the second half if we sat back like that. If we had gone behind after being 6 points up at half time, the heads could easily have dropped.
Still, it was  great to get the right result in a must-win game away from home!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on June 09, 2008, 12:35:48 PM
Quote from: kevmy on June 09, 2008, 11:10:07 AM
Shrule-Glencorrib 3-7  2-15 Ballagh'

5 point defeat not good for us. If Conor was fit he might have made the difference we missed a couple of frees and didn't take our scores when we had the chance. The way we let in the Ballagh' second goal was poor. Barry Regan cleaned Kieran Conroy in the first half and Andy Moran roasted Dermot Geragthy in the second. With Breaffy flaking Kiltane by 10 points we have a major uphill battle. Need to beat the bejaysus out of Kiltane and hope an already qualified Ballagh' do us a favour against Breaffy. I suppose there is the matter of top of the table between them but I'd still prefer it if we had it in our hands.

How did Conroy get on in the 2nd half kevmy, would you be concerned about him at FB for the Sligo match?

I would yeah. I'm not saying anything against him cos he's a good footballer and a grand fella but he's not a natural FB. Infact until Johhno threw him on against Laois in the league I'd never seen him play FB. He's grand when the ball is played in high he'll catch it or break it away, when there's a ball played in wild he's alright as well he'll chase out his man and cover fairly well.
But when a ball is played right low into the FF he seems to be turned fierce easy. If he doesn't win it he can dive in or stay too tight to his man and his man swivels and he's gone. At least 3 or 4 times in the first half this happened on Sunday. He tightened up a bit in the second half but I was down the other end of the field so I couldn't see rightly how well he played.
He'll keep trying and if we had tight corner backs it mightn't be too bad as we could swap our men around but as it is I'd be fairly worried.

RedandGreenSniper

A few interesting results at the weekend. I think pride of place in the senior has to go to Claremorris, some result against an apparently in form Mitchels.
Hear Mitchels were cat but ya can't take away from Claremorris, having beaten Burrishoole in Newport and now Mitchels. Interestingly still  not thru, results mite still screw them.
Ballintubber had a really impressive win in Foxford as well. The type of result that shows they can establish themselves at senior.
I get the feeling though that Ballagh' are just getting into their stride. Their last group game against Breaffy will be a very interesting encounter.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

A quick run down of the results from the weekend

TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship
Group A
Bohola Moy-Davitts    0-7   0-10   Ballintubber       
Charlestown       0-12   1-3   Garrymore          

Group B
Knockmore    2-5   0-14   Crossmolina Deel Rovers
Ballinrobe    1-13   1-4   Louisburgh       

Group C
Ballaghadereen    2-15   3-7   Shrule-Glencorrib    
Breaffy    1-20   1-10   Kiltane    

Group D
Ballina Stephenites    1-8   0-8   Burrishoole
Claremorris       1-13   1-8   Castlebar Mitchels    

TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Intermediate Championship
Group A
Westport    1-15   1-7   Achill    Westport      
Ballyhaunis    0-8   0-7   Mayo Gaels    

Group B
Belmullet    1-14   0-9   Kilmeena    
Bonniconlon    1-5   5-7   Aghamore    

Group C
Swinford    1-11   3-10   Parke-Keelouges-Crimlin
Crossmolina B   1-11   2-4   Kilcommon       

Group D
Davitts    1-14   1-10   Kiltimagh    
Hollymount    1-7   1-10   Kilmaine

the Deel Rover

Just wondering do ballina have to beat claremorris by 6 or more points to get through to the quarter finals ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

westmayo

According to the table, Ballina are ahead of Castlebar on a points difference of 0, while Mitchels have a points difference of -2. From my reading of it I persume points difference comes into account before head to head, as long as they better Mitchels result by at least one point if both win then they and Claremorris will go through. (Claremorris have a points difference of + 6 at the minute).

Link to table
http://www.sportsmanager.ie/t3.php?userid=21&leaguetable=1&report=1&reporttype=mixresults&compid=5771&countyid=21&club_id=&sportid=1

guy crouchback

i  was speaking to some of the ballina player on saturday night and they were of the opinion that points difference did not come into i,t and that in the event of 2 or more teams being level on points there would be a playoff game or games. now they may have been just guessing.

Farrandeelin

Sorry, didn't get a chance to reply to ye yesterday. True, McDonald did some good scoring and as Deel Rover said he scored some beauties, but I was just annoyed that Knockmore kept looking at him, so it was no wonder he got the scores. Regarding the scoring differences, they didn't come into effect last year AFAIK.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Scoring difference is what they used last year. Shrule were the hard luck story - they hammered Claremorris and Garry got hammered by Ballagh to leave the two teams level on points but Shrule lost out by just one point of a scoring difference. It would have been some turnaround
Realistically Ballina need to be beating Claremorris by four points to overtake them, relying on Mitchels to just win by a small margin won't be good enough imo
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

From Kevin McStays column in the Mayo News

Claremorris are in a very strong position and have only to ensure they are not beaten by more than five points; it should be within their abilities. But can Castlebar beat Burrishoole by around seven? They must plan that Ballina will win by a small margin. Them's the permutations! And they will make for a fascinating weekend when round three is played.