Avoiding rates on new house- NI

Started by giveherlong, April 09, 2018, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Do yis all live in Texan style ranches or wha

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2018, 02:52:06 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2018, 02:42:30 PM
The rates fee charged relative to the service provided has become scandalous. I would like them to state exactly where the money is being spent and what the justification is for charging the amounts that they do. If it's simply to get a bin collected every week then it's entirely disproportionate but people seem to just accept it for what it is.

You can request a rates review and somebody will come out and issue a new assessment but the chances of any sort of material reduction is slim. It is a grossly inflated levy for receiving very little in terms of service.

If you did your own recycling, and dumped your own bin every week, would you get a reduction?
No. We get our grey bin emptied every fortnight and have no other bins. I live in the sticks with no street lights. A Bryson House van comes and empties kerbside boxes but I don't bother and do my own. I emailed the council and said that people in the towns get a brown bin emptied as well as the grey and I got less for my rates and needed a rebate. Got told to eff off in polite terms.

BennyCake

Quote from: balladmaker on April 10, 2018, 07:38:05 PM
2760 ... but not so bad, can pay near 300 per month for 10 months!!! WTF ... it's a mortgage in itself

I'd live in a campervan before I'd pay that kind of money. Thats buckin mental

el_cuervo_fc

It's a little known fact that houses with a disabled extension are entitled to a 25% reduction in their rates bills.

There is also the possibility that houses with a public prayer room are rated exempt. I'm not sure how true this one is. The former is correct though.

Dougal Maguire

That's slightly misleading. My understanding is if you build an extension your rates will increase. If it's a disabled extension they reduce the increase by 25%
Careful now

Targetman

Rates bill came today up £8 a month to £2000.26, in the house 16 years and got away for 2 years without paying rates, the first bill was approximately a grand, feckin scandalous what you have to pay in return for next to nothing apart from potholes!!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 10, 2018, 11:13:20 PM
That's slightly misleading. My understanding is if you build an extension your rates will increase. If it's a disabled extension they reduce the increase by 25%

The 25% decrease is on the total your rates bill. I have known this to work for a number of clients

JohnDenver

What's the definition of a disabled extension?  Is it basically just a ramp access to at least one of the doors or more than that?

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: JohnDenver on April 11, 2018, 08:57:14 AM
What's the definition of a disabled extension?  Is it basically just a ramp access to at least one of the doors or more than that?

Generally a ramp with a level access to the dwelling is required on all new builds.  A disabled extension would usually contain a ground floor bedroom with additional appropriate wash facilities if required.

trueblue1234

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on April 11, 2018, 09:25:34 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on April 11, 2018, 08:57:14 AM

Generally a ramp with a level access to the dwelling is required on all new builds.  A disabled extension would usually contain a ground floor bedroom with additional appropriate wash facilities if required.

Does there need to be someone in the house registered with a disability? I have a family member who has all the above but sadly the family member who required it passed away. But the rest of the family still live there. Would that qualify or do you have to justify their requirements?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Duckquay

The prayer room isn't correct.
If the disabled person has passed away you won't get the reduction I'm afraid.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on April 11, 2018, 03:29:28 AM

The 25% decrease is on the total your rates bill. I have known this to work for a number of clients
So what you're saying is if your rates are £1200 a year and you build an extension for a disabled person your rates reduce to £900
Careful now

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 11, 2018, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on April 11, 2018, 03:29:28 AM

So what you're saying is if your rates are £1200 a year and you build an extension for a disabled person your rates reduce to £900

That's how I've been advised

GJL

So you will save £300 a year for an extension costing £15000 - £20000. Bit of a false economy.  ???

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: GJL on April 12, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
So you will save £300 a year for an extension costing £15000 - £20000. Bit of a false economy.  ???

Not if you get a grant for the extension