Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Disgraceful scenes, puke football, foul ridden and played in a spiteful manner...sorry I thought i was posting on the Ulster club thread ;)

Rossfan

So following on from the logic of the anti Intl Rules brigade -- time do do away with club football  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2011, 10:51:00 AM
So following on from the logic of the anti Intl Rules brigade -- time do do away with club football  :D

Definitely, just leave Andy where he currently is :P

ha ha derry

I watched the first 20 mins of the game, that was enough. Two comitted teams trying to play championship football and a b***s of a ref trying to stop them.

galwayman

Is this Devenney relatively new on the scene? Had never heard of him prior to yesterday.

It was obvious from an early stage in the game that he was going to take centre stage.He made so many bad calls it was frustrating to watch. The disallowed goal was a bad decision. The Corofin forward clearly ran in after the ball had arrived in the square and punched it home.
Then I think it was the last score Brigids got was one of the worst decisions I have seen in a long time where the ball was on the deck, the Brigids lad touched it on the ground, stumbled and got a free in. There was 2 Corofin lads around him at the time and neither of them so much as attempted to lay a hand on him. A bizarre decision.

Now of course Corofin have to look at themselves also as they didn't perform well in the second half at all and fair play to Brigids for stepping up to the mark after half time. And I agree with other posters who have pointed out the failure of any Corofin player to take responsibility for going for an equaliser near the end.

However to suggest that the refereeing didn't have a major bearing on the outcome of that game is plainly wrong given that it was a one point game in the end.

Also I know Kieran Fitzgerald to be an absolute gentleman and it would be unlike him to come out and say what he did in pubic after the game if he did not feel particularly aggrieved.
I have captained my own club in county finals and know that I would feel exactly the same if I were on the receiving end of a refereeing performance like that yesterday.

PS Just to clarify I have zero connection with the Corofin club other than happening to be from the same county.
Best of luck to Brigids in the AI series. It is certainly no fault of theirs that the ref made a balls of the game.

eddie d

IMO referees should give interviews after televised games. For non-televised games i think referees should compile a write up(along with their report) of any decisions they make and their reasoning while also including any mistakes they think they have made. This should then be forwarded to both clubs concerned a couple of days after the game, when the referee has time to review the game, if recorded.

I think this could go some way to preventing the scenes in yesterdays game, and indeed games in other counties in recent weeks. This may not work, but in relation to live games, if a referee was interviewed immediately after the game, this may stop many spectators from surrounding the ref.

any thoughs? would it work in 90% of the games that aren't live?would a ref admitting a mistake solve matters?

SLIGONIAN

This thread on anfearrua was deleted by mods, a prodimentaly clare, munster forum, :o you wouldnt think they get too hung up on the injustice yday but there you go....some comments on the bias of the ref i believe..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

neilthemac

Up Brigids.
And féck the begrudgers

Corofin had ample time and chance to win or draw this game.
They can only blame themselves for that.
As for the referee - yes he was brutal. But, did he cause Corofin to lose the game? No

ross4life

SLIGONIAN, i see Liam Devenney was the ref for a couple of Sligo games this year, Sligo v Galway in Minor championship & Sligo v Galway in the FBD, how did he do it those games?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

neilthemac

there it is, square ball
and he fouled the defender after
goal rightly disallowed

ross matt

Just watched it again on TG4 and to be fair to Corofin it looked a legitimate goal in that it appeared he ran in after it. However in your picture Neilthemac he does appear to be waiting in the square for it.

imtommygunn

The only reason he got to the ball was he leant his elbow on the defender's shoulder. I thought it was a clear foul out - square ball or not.

commonman

Being at the game, not too far from that goalmouth, and the ref whistled for the free out, for what i thought was a foul on the defender, long before the ball had hit the net. Whatever about some of the other calls, he got this one right

Syferus

Yeah, the replays tonight confirmed that the ref got the big call right, which is a big thing for him and for Corofin. Outside of that he was overly fussy but hardly intentionally biased.

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 21, 2011, 07:23:10 PM
This thread on anfearrua was deleted by mods, a prodimentaly clare, munster forum, :o you wouldnt think they get too hung up on the injustice yday but there you go....some comments on the bias of the ref i believe..

f**king prodimentalists!
MWWSI 2017