Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectator

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 18, 2011, 02:11:21 PM
As regards the upsurge in Connacht footbal in the 90's I think the revivial of the FBD had soemthing to do with it - since the introduction of colleges into the FBD then the value of it disappeared.

True  TJ - one ingedient that likely also contributed to the renaissance of Connacht football back in the mid - late 90's was the revival of the FBD. It had been a few years since the Gael Linn had been staged by that time, iirc.

After the early rounds of the NFL were played in Oct-Nov, there was a break of a couple of months before the NFL resumed. The FBD was played off during this break with pretty much full squads of reasonably fit, regular first team players representing each of the counties. The standard of football on offer in the competition was high, providing some enjoyable spectacles as the neighbouring counties had an opportunity to play with expression, without any of the tensions or rivalries which can sometimes adversely effect league and championship encounters.

Supporters got a lot of enjoyment and entertainment out of attending those games too. It wasn't at all unusual to hear remarks from supporters of each of the counties along the lines of "jaysus, these FBD games are brilliant, as good as anything you'll see later in the year."

An attractive off-season competition then, it dovetailed nicely into the greater scheme of things and seemed to bring the counties on and set them up nicely for the more serious campaigns ahead.

However, when the GAA subsequently delayed the start of the NFL until February, it had a detrimental effect on the standard of fare on offer in the FBD unfortunately, as lads weren't up to match speed or fitness etc and squads were open ended going into it. Consequently, it's now a 'blowing out the dirty petrol' and 'checking out young fringe players' type competition, which somewhat negates the benefits of the earlier years.

Seafoid is also correct though, when he say that there's no greater incentive to improve than to see the neighbours doing better than you in the championship. Once one of us starts making a mark nationally, it will be hell for leather for the other two to try and catch up! ;)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

QuoteConnacht teams had a shocking 20 years pre 95 and a lot of it had to do with momentum

Ros drew the 77 AI semi-fnal and lost replay by 1 point, lost the 79 semi to Dublin by a point and lost 80 AI by three points to Kerry - so hardly shocking results. We also lost to Meath in 91 by a point in the AI semi. With limited  enough resources we have preformed reasonably well when we got out of Connacht.

As regards the upsurge in Connacht footbal in the 90's I think the revivial of the FBD had soemthing to do with it - since the introduction of colleges into the FBD then the value of it disappeared.

Mayo losing by only 3 points in the 1989 Final in a very competitie match against a Crok team that would play in 4 All-Irelands in 4 years, winning 2.

Mayo was very unlucky not to get to the All-Ireland Final in 1985. Competitive Semis V Dublin.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 18, 2011, 04:18:09 PM
QuoteConnacht teams had a shocking 20 years pre 95 and a lot of it had to do with momentum

Ros drew the 77 AI semi-fnal and lost replay by 1 point, lost the 79 semi to Dublin by a point and lost 80 AI by three points to Kerry - so hardly shocking results. We also lost to Meath in 91 by a point in the AI semi. With limited  enough resources we have preformed reasonably well when we got out of Connacht.

Mayo losing by only 3 points in the 1989 Final in a very competitie match against a Crok team that would play in 4 All-Irelands in 4 years, winning 2.

The only time Connacht teams got to the AIF during that time was if they played a team from Ulster in the semi final.
And no all- Irelands were won.  I remember Ross Carr writing in the Sunday Tribune RIP in 1995. He said a connacht team might make it to the final beating a Leinster or Munster team within 10 years. Even Ulster had improved at that stage.     

[/quote]

Captain Scarlet

Lads if anyone can't make the trip home call in here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dtwo-Championship-Sundays/217016691665247?sk=info

How will this go?Galway aren't exactly in top form and Mayo nearly lost to the Exiles. Although will that act as a kick in the stones for them.
Whats the story with Aidan O'Shea by the way, seems to have gone off the boil.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Tubberman

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 20, 2011, 11:54:40 AM
Lads if anyone can't make the trip home call in here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dtwo-Championship-Sundays/217016691665247?sk=info

How will this go?Galway aren't exactly in top form and Mayo nearly lost to the Exiles. Although will that act as a kick in the stones for them.
Whats the story with Aidan O'Shea by the way, seems to have gone off the boil.

Was off the boil last year alright, and early part of this year. But it looks like that was down to being played out of position really. He was outstanding for U21s in midfield against Ros, and has played well there for seniors when given the chance.
He'll either be midfield or CHF on Sunday I'd say and I'd be hopeful we'll see a strong performance from him.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Can anyone confirm how Mayo are doing in the injuries front? Not too healthy I think? :(

Barney

Abbeysider as far as I know -

Kilcullen is a doubt; McGarrity is back in training but has to be a major doubt; Cafferkey is unlikely to make it; Keith Higgins has played for his club. Not aware of any others.

Any word on any A v B game over weekend.

REDCOL is usually a good man for these kind of updates - any news on how the team is shaping up.

Tubberman

Just saw this on the Dublin v Kildare thread. No idea if the score is accurate or what the lineouts were.

Challenge match result from last week:
Kildare 2-21 Galway 0-6

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Tubberman on June 20, 2011, 01:56:17 PM
Just saw this on the Dublin v Kildare thread. No idea if the score is accurate or what the lineouts were.

Kildare 2-21 Galway 0-6

Haven't a clue to be honest. I know Galway beat Cork in Ennis the weekend before last. That was the last I heard.

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 20, 2011, 02:31:02 PM

Kildare 2-21 Galway 0-6

Haven't a clue to be honest. I know Galway beat Cork in Ennis the weekend before last. That was the last I heard.

Yeah, obviously can't read too much into either result when there's such a massive swing from beating the AI champions to getting hammered by Kildare.

Hound

Might be of interest to Mayo lads:

This is an excerpt from an article about Gilroy not casting the net wide enough:

But you look at a guy like Cathal Carthy playing with Round Towers (Clondalkin). He is as good as the guys called up and he should be in and around that squad.
http://www.fingal-independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dublin-need-to-cast-net-wider-to-recapture-sam-2675250.html

Carthy is actually from Mayo, and gets rave reviews most weeks when playing full forward for Towers (albeit there'd be a fair difference in standard between Div2 in Dublin and intercounty!). Anyone heard of him?

seafoid

Quote from: Tubberman on June 20, 2011, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 20, 2011, 02:31:02 PM

Kildare 2-21 Galway 0-6

Yeah, obviously can't read too much into either result when there's such a massive swing from beating the AI champions to getting hammered by Kildare.

It must have been the hurlers who played Kildare   ::)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Hound on June 20, 2011, 03:02:23 PM
Might be of interest to Mayo lads:

This is an excerpt from an article about Gilroy not casting the net wide enough:

But you look at a guy like Cathal Carthy playing with Round Towers (Clondalkin). He is as good as the guys called up and he should be in and around that squad.
http://www.fingal-independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dublin-need-to-cast-net-wider-to-recapture-sam-2675250.html

Carthy is actually from Mayo, and gets rave reviews most weeks when playing full forward for Towers (albeit there'd be a fair difference in standard between Div2 in Dublin and intercounty!). Anyone heard of him?

Played Minor with Mayo in 2001. Son of John Carty, the former Fianna Fail TD and Senator. Transferred away from home club Aghamore this year. Same club as Alan Freeman. I'd be certain we have the better man in the Mayo squad. Cathal has ability but never looked exceptional at a higher level. Think this is his second time with Round Towers.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

I heard along the same lines Barney. I think Howley could be out as well.

If both McGarity and Kilcullen are out then we could be in trouble around the middle. I suppose Aidan O Shea would be partnered by either Gibbons or his brother Seamus but I cant see SOS being totally fit not having played more than a minutes competitive inter county football this year. We will be up against it against experienced players like Bergan and perhaps Hanley.

Its very strange the way things are shaping up.

After all the talk at the start of the season of team building and finding new players I think that Horan has lost his way a bit as we could see Mayo reverting to much of the previous old guard, (or players that played under the last tenure, many of whom have not played a minutes league action) either starting or coming on against Galway.

Even fans are panicking a little. People are contemplating when Harte is fully fit to rejoin the panel, which suggests that he will walk back onto it. Would the same true for a fit Conor Mortimer? Probably, and I wouldnt argue with that but who would lose out long term?

To come off the bench in a close game with our backs against the wall are the management likely to take a chance with Keegan, Barrett, or O Reilly? I'm not so sure. We are more likely to see Gardiner and Geraghty getting game time if replacements are required in defence. Would they be looking at Cathal Freeman, Campbell or a fit Douglas either if the sh!t hit the fan? Again, I dont think so for some reason.

I think what I am trying to say is, I am now wondering if the pressure mounting is causing this change in tune, or is it simply the form in training and games that is dictating the shape of things? One could argue that Ronaldsons inter-county form had nothing to do with him getting a call up. Was a couple of big scores in the club league games with added media pressure enough of a reason to get him back? As for Cathal Freeman, I just dont know either.

Is Horan trusting and relying on the older players to save the day against Galway rather than perusing his original idea of a new fresh young team with his own stamp? Are we too a year too early in expecting that as it looks like the much of the new additions are down the pecking order?

I would be concerned if the likes of Seamus O Shea, Vaughan, Trevor Mort, Geraghty, Howley and the likes walk onto the team without a minutes NFL game time but maybe I am being overly analytic, worried and harsh here.

Lots to ponder though.

Farrandeelin

Howley got a bad injury against Kiltane, didn't see the actual incident itself, but he was limping badly assisted off the field with the physio.

Abbeysider, it's a pity Horan is forced into this mess bringing back the tried and tested brigade and I'm not for it at all. I don't think Gibbons is good enough to start centrefield however. Mayo have got to start the game from the off, not 15-20 minutes into the game like all the NFL games or 70+ agianst London. If not, it could be a long afternoon.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.