Cavan v Galway (Sunday 3rd April 2016 2pm - Breffni Park)

Started by Westside, March 28, 2016, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

A winner takes all clash for promotion to Division 1. Cavan with the very slight advantage of being able to draw the game and go up.

Cavan were comfortable in their last two games but I don't believe we will get away with the mistakes we made yesterday against Galway. Laois kicked a lot of awful wides yesterday particularly in the first half, should probably have had a penalty too. We need to cut out the errors if we expect to win this game.

From a Cavan perspective, if we can't beat a Galway side that have won just 2 of their league games, we don't deserve to go up.

cicfada

Cavan deserved favorites for this match, and home advantage as well. Strangely Galway have picked up 5 points away while only getting 2 at home so the trip won't faze them. They have to win and it's  a tall order but achievable . You'd have to worry that they couldn't beat Fermanagh at home, with the wind and an extra player but we will see what they're made of now. Too bloody long spent in div 2.

GalwayBayBoy

Actually glad the game is away from home. Galway have been septic at home the last couple years in the league. Nearly all their best performances have come on the road. I don't know whether they get complacent at home of whatever it is but away games seem to concentrate the mind a little.

seafoid

At u21 over the last few years Galway beat Cavan when it counted so I expect the uaisleacht to continue provided they get the finger out.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

I hope we win, I used to buy into the narrative that it was better to stay in Division 2 if you didn't have the required squad for Division 1 but it's the only place that you can get a test every match against the best in the country. If Galway want to get back to anywhere near the top, Division 1 is the only show in town.
Might end up in a huge reality check like Down got this year but better off that than treading water where we are currently, the standard is too samey between the counties.

Based on all prior Division 2 matches though, Cavan are deserved favourites to be fair to them.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 28, 2016, 02:23:28 PM
Actually glad the game is away from home. Galway have been septic at home the last couple years in the league. Nearly all their best performances have come on the road. I don't know whether they get complacent at home of whatever it is but away games seem to concentrate the mind a little.

How much do you want for Tuam for the weekend.

Duine Eile

I think we need to see Brian Donoghue in goal for this game and see how he gets on, Maghnus has had too many howlers of late and this business of taking off up the field is heart attack inducing. Half backs need to take care of their defensive duties first and foremost, too much time spent up thee field. Hopefully Shane Walsh will be okay to play next week, we need him on top form if we want anything out of this game. Eddie Hoare I think has had enough chances now, he's not an inter county centre forward. I've been critical of Eamon Brannigan before but I think he's a better option than Eddie at the minute, we need fast quick players, when they move the ball quick they look impressive, it's this slow build up that kills us and lets the opposition get organised.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Westside on March 28, 2016, 01:14:30 PM
A winner takes all clash for promotion to Division 1. Cavan with the very slight advantage of being able to draw the game and go up.

Cavan were comfortable in their last two games but I don't believe we will get away with the mistakes we made yesterday against Galway. Laois kicked a lot of awful wides yesterday particularly in the first half, should probably have had a penalty too. We need to cut out the errors if we expect to win this game.

From a Cavan perspective, if we can't beat a Galway side that have won just 2 of their league games, we don't deserve to go up.

True but at the same time we've only lost one game if you look at it from another perspective!  ;)

seafoid

I would prefer to be playing cavan than Tyrone in a must win match.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
At u21 over the last few years Galway beat Cavan when it counted so I expect the uaisleacht to continue provided they get the finger out.

That was one game seafood! Hardly a trend.

seafoid

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2016, 08:22:19 PM
2 nil in all Irelands. Cavan won 3 ulsters but...

If that's the best statistic you can come up with seafood you are in trouble.

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 28, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
I think we need to see Brian Donoghue in goal for this game and see how he gets on, Maghnus has had too many howlers of late and this business of taking off up the field is heart attack inducing. Half backs need to take care of their defensive duties first and foremost, too much time spent up thee field. Hopefully Shane Walsh will be okay to play next week, we need him on top form if we want anything out of this game. Eddie Hoare I think has had enough chances now, he's not an inter county centre forward. I've been critical of Eamon Brannigan before but I think he's a better option than Eddie at the minute, we need fast quick players, when they move the ball quick they look impressive, it's this slow build up that kills us and lets the opposition get organised.
Breathnach isn't good enough but Donoghue is probably worse. His kick outs aren't good enough & he's not comfortable enough on the ball. You need only look back at the Laois game last year for a reminder of that where he gave away 2 goals by panicking in possession, while also putting kick outs over the sideline and messing up about 3 or 4 short ones as well.
Our goalkeeping situation has been a crisis since Adrian Faherty stopped playing for us.
Surely there has to somebody in club football good enough for county level (Healy is NOT up to it either)?
Breathnach is an excellent shot stopper but in today's game accuracy of kick outs is the single most important attribute a keeper must have & he is not reliable enough at this. High balls anywhere near the square and he is at sea also.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on March 28, 2016, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2016, 08:22:19 PM
2 nil in all Irelands. Cavan won 3 ulsters but...
I don't think they'll fear Cavan because of that, itchy. Galway are usually good in the big matches. Are Cavan? More fan pressure on them ?

If that's the best statistic you can come up with seafood you are in trouble.

Duine Eile

Not the biggest fan of Donoghue either but he seems to be the only other keeper on the panel. Who was u-21 goalie this year? Wasn't there a Forde lad from Annaghdown tried during the FBD this year, can't remember too much about him.