Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 13, 2014, 09:36:36 PM
1. My table proves it's down to money. No lie. FACT.

2. Money hasn't bought titles, as in there has been no money to buy titles until Dublin got their windfall. So if Kerry got 1 million per year even how many titles would they win? They'd even compete in hurling.  ;D No lie. FACT.

3. You think Dublin deserves 1.5 million yearly while every other county deserve less than 100,000, so you see Dublin as a special case. No lie. FACT.

4. Dublin showed as much interest as Carlow, Kerry etc in hurling, why not give them some money? Instead it mostly went to Dublin. No lie. FACT.

5. Can't you make the same cuts of population you have in Antrim to Dublin in a lot of those cases? A lot don't want and will never want to play Gaelic games, economic factors, societal factors (drug addiction etc), sporting factors,  ;D You've basically made an argument why you think Dublin's fund should be cut.
So Dublin get 1.5 million, surely Antrim should get half that? Quarter that? Last year they got 76,000. Going on all you've mentioned earlier you agree with me that Dublin receiving 1.5 million and Antrim receiving 76,000 is unfair don't you? You'd be hypocritical if you disagree. No lie. FACT.

6. I'm asking if you'd like to thank us, don't you appreciate all the country people winning you a load of titles? How ungrateful of you. I repeat, my table shows that you have been bought titles, including All Irelands. No lie. FACT.

7. You have proven you think Dublin deserve special treatment. No lie. FACT.

8. I think you need some stuff to relax you son. You're getting too worked up over my facts and figures.  ;D
seriously would you not be better off chillin back a bit and enjoying the fantastic football we've had this season so far and especially enjoy the fantastic football played by the dubs over the last 2 seasons. A team full off great sporting characters.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 13, 2014, 09:57:06 PM
seriously would you not be better off chillin back a bit and enjoying the fantastic football we've had this season so far and especially enjoy the fantastic football played by the dubs over the last 2 seasons. A team full off great sporting characters.

I'm chillin watching the golf!
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 13, 2014, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 13, 2014, 09:57:06 PM

I'm chillin watching the golf!
and did you enjoy the dubs second half today?

The Hill is Blue

Stop giving this troll oxygen – ignore his posts.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

easytiger95

If you're shouting you're losing. You screaming fact doesn't make it a fact, in fact the only fact that we can factually verify, is that you are obsessed with Dublin and quite disturbing with it. fact. Enjoy the golf troll.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 13, 2014, 10:28:15 PM
If you're shouting you're losing. You screaming fact doesn't make it a fact, in fact the only fact that we can factually verify, is that you are obsessed with Dublin and quite disturbing with it. fact. Enjoy the golf troll.

Will you cop yourself on and ignore that gobsh*te!

Don Corleone

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 13, 2014, 10:28:15 PM
If you're shouting typing you're losing. You screaming fact doesn't make it a fact, in fact the only fact that we can factually verify, is that you are obsessed with Dublin and quite disturbing with it. fact. Enjoy the golf troll.

Fixed that for you pal, no problems.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 07, 2014, 10:33:40 PM
It's easy to dismiss Don't Matter as an annoying nutcase, but 8 years...Jesus imagine Mayo not playing outside Castlebar for 8 years in Connacht, holy Christ there'd be uproar from our friends in Sligo, Galway and I wouldn't like to think of what that would do to Rossfan and his blood pressure. ;D
He'd be ok if ye played forever in Ballagh 

AZOffaly

It's a different argument to the money thing, but yes there's no doubt that Dublin playing at Croker is an advantage for them. Not just the whole fan thing, but they are so comfortable there. I'm sure the Dubs lads have favourite spots in the dressing room, a favourite jacks, they'll have a routine etc etc. I'm sure the team are delighted to be able to rely on playing in Croker all the time.

Having said all that, I know a lot of Dubs fans would like to experience the provincial venues for championship games. The fact they seem to have to wait for the odd qualifier for it to happen is not their fault really. I've said it before, but 35,000 in Portlaoise would be far better than 40000 in Croker, so I'd love to see Dublin playing in O'Moore Park, Tullamore or Navan. Full houses, even if the full house is only 20k, is much better for atmosphere.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2014, 10:26:49 AM
It's a different argument to the money thing, but yes there's no doubt that Dublin playing at Croker is an advantage for them. Not just the whole fan thing, but they are so comfortable there. I'm sure the Dubs lads have favourite spots in the dressing room, a favourite jacks, they'll have a routine etc etc. I'm sure the team are delighted to be able to rely on playing in Croker all the time.

Having said all that, I know a lot of Dubs fans would like to experience the provincial venues for championship games. The fact they seem to have to wait for the odd qualifier for it to happen is not their fault really. I've said it before, but 35,000 in Portlaoise would be far better than 40000 in Croker, so I'd love to see Dublin playing in O'Moore Park, Tullamore or Navan. Full houses, even if the full house is only 20k, is much better for atmosphere.
favourite spots in dressing rooms, are you serious? Dublin have an advantage in Croker over the past 3 years because they are the best team in the land! From 95 to 2011 the same perceived advantages you flag where there yet Dublin couldn't beat a top team outside of Leinster. There where no cries then about advantages! A lot of sore losers and begrudgers round the country! 

Fuzzman

I haven't read through the previous pages but I was making this same point last year.
In recent years I've went to a few Leinster games and especially the first round games or the semis the fans of both teams know it's a forgone conclusion and teams like Kildare or Meath seem happy to just come to Croker for the day out and maybe watch a double header.
They don't have that butterflies in their stomach say that Down fans would have when the Ulster champions(whoever they might be) come into their own back yard.
A huge part of winning is in the head and if you go into a game hoping to win you'll more often that not LOSE
The only time I've saw Dublin lose in Croker in Leinster was v Westmeath back when Paudie was manager. I'm glad to hear you AZ say that you'd love to see games played at home for ye.
I'm afraid too many other Leinster county fans can't even see the benefit of a home tie
Can you imagine if Dublin had to travel to Donegal, Tyrone, Derry, Down or even Armagh for a 1st round game in May. Imagine how that would affect their training schedule and their plans to drift along in 2nd gear until the August bank holiday.

Yes you can talk about the money aspect and I think that is very significant as well but until Dublin start putting back to back titles together you can't really have any definite proof that all that money did have such a large impact.
Dublin do draw large crowds into croker and other grounds and like some say, a lot of their REAL fans would love more days out on the road. They do bring good travelling support but few have really not experienced the hostile feeling of being the away team in a tight match.
A very simple question for you Dubs.
If you had to play Donegal in round 1 of Leinster this summer in Croke Park. Would you be worried at all or quite confident of taking them?
Now tell me if it went to a draw and ye had to go to Ballybofey where the support will be 90% Donegal and a small compact pitch. Would you still be so confident?

When this argument is brought up lots of Dublin fans think it doesn't matter that much and that Croke park isn't their home ground anyway. Teams like Kerry, Cork< Mayo and even Tyrone play there often each year now anyway but this doesn't really hold water. The real question is if Dublin had to play any of those teams in their own back yard, with only 5K of their own supporters the game would be much tougher for them.

Yes they have won the odd important match at grounds like Clones but they were not playing Monaghan so it wasn't a home game for anyone.
Back in 1983 Cork came to Croker and got a draw and managed to force the replay to be in Cork. You can look up the score yourselves. :o

In those league games yesterday, should the top 2 teams in the league not have had the option of home advantage.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 14, 2014, 11:03:54 AM

favourite spots in dressing rooms, are you serious? Dublin have an advantage in Croker over the past 3 years because they are the best team in the land! From 95 to 2011 the same perceived advantages you flag where there yet Dublin couldn't beat a top team outside of Leinster. There where no cries then about advantages! A lot of sore losers and begrudgers round the country!

Absolutely they have been the best. Don't get me wrong. But it is a help to them as well, I'm sure if you've played you know that everyone gets their own little routines which help you on the day of a game. If you are playing all your games in the same stadium, your routine is the same every single day. That helps.  There's no doubt Dublin have been excellent the last couple of years, I'm not begrudging them at all. I think you're lumping me in with a few other lads. I've been defending Dublin on this thread :D

Johnnybegood

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2014, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 14, 2014, 11:03:54 AM

Absolutely they have been the best. Don't get me wrong. But it is a help to them as well, I'm sure if you've played you know that everyone gets their own little routines which help you on the day of a game. If you are playing all your games in the same stadium, your routine is the same every single day. That helps.  There's no doubt Dublin have been excellent the last couple of years, I'm not begrudging them at all. I think you're lumping me in with a few other lads. I've been defending Dublin on this thread :D
I take your points and they are valid but it could also be argued that teams visiting croker also have an advantage over Dublin, now when I say visiting teams I mean good ones ,  the likes of kerry Cork Tyrone Mayo etc, these teams can bond together for the occasion and create a siege mentality etc.
croke park is the best playing surface and stadium we have which happens to be in Dublin  and it's only right that the big games are played there. We didn't have any advantage over playing Cork Kerry or Mayo there last year. I do agree however the the first couple of rounds in Leinster should be brought round the province. But on most occasions the players of dublins opponents actually want to play in croker. Wexford a couple of years ago being a prime example

AZOffaly

You're arguing with the wrong man. I'm just pointing out that I'm 100% sure the Dublin players are very comfortable at this stage in Croker, and their match routines will be set in stone at this stage, which does help.

Now, is it the reason why they are arguably the best team in the game? No.
Does this mean that other teams don't also enjoy playing in Croker? No. I'm sure Kerry, Cork, Kildare, Tyrone and Mayo also have a fairly set routine for Croker at this stage.
Do I feel that provincial games should be played outside Crokers? Yes. As much for the aesthetics as any nefarious reason to see Dublin 'bate down the country'. I remember Dublin playing in Mullingar, Tullamore and Navan, and those were the days I associate with championship. 15-20k people absolutely packing a ground, and the atmosphere buzzing. The travelling hill usually set up behind one of the goals with their noise and colour.

Croker is a fabulous stadium, and I think we should keep it for the big games. As I said, a crowd of 40k can look lost in Croker.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 14, 2014, 11:05:05 AM
In recent years I've went to a few Leinster games and especially the first round games or the semis the fans of both teams know it's a forgone conclusion and teams like Kildare or Meath seem happy to just come to Croker for the day out and maybe watch a double header.

I'd much prefer for Kildare's Leinster Championship games to be played in provincial grounds. Croke Park has lost all its novelty for me. The atmosphere at those double headers in Croke Park is always dead. There's never more than about 15,000 in for the first match and you spend all of the latter stages out of your seat as the crowd coming in for the second match try to get past you to get to their seats.

Kildare v Westmeath/Louth on 8 June is scheduled for Croke Park which is ridiculous. Tullamore, Portlaoise and Navan are perfect venues for these types of games. The improvements in the road network mean you can be at most other towns in Leinster within an hour or two. Better still enter into home/away agreements for first round and quarter final ties with these counties. The only opposition that Kildare should be brought to Croke Park for is Dublin. We played Meath in Navan a few years ago and there was an electric atmosphere at it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?